Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 08:25 PM   #1

Unknown Roof Vent on 2015 36RL

Good afternoon fellow Redwood Owners. I have attached a photo of an apparent roof vent on my 2015 36RL that is missing a cover cap. This was brought to my attention yesterday by an RV Wash and Wax Service that was doing a Semi-Annual cleaning on my rig. This Vent sits in the center of the roof between the 2 AC Units. I have a friend that is camping next to me with a 2015 39MB that does not have this vent. There is a stainless threaded bolt that comes off the center of this vent as can be seen in the photo. I do not know what happened to the cover, but I have temporarily covered the vent with duct tape since we are in the rainy season in Flagstaff Arizona where we reside in the summer to keep the rig out of the heat in the Phoenix area, not to mention we also love the cool weather up here. Any input you can provide as to the nature of this vent, where I might get another cover, etc. etc. The vent is approximately 5 inches or so in width. Maybe a little less or more. I am 79 and do not want to go up there a measure at this point, but get a part to replace it and have a service tech put it on for me.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220621_200859655.jpg (71.1 KB, 22 views)
Cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:15 PM   #2

It's your attic vent. Show that pic to your local RV parts guy and he should be able to fix you up.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #3

Thank you Andrew, we are in Flagstaff Arizona for the summer but there is an RV repair store up here and I will take the pictures to them to see if they can match it up. I’ve never quite seen that type of vent but had made an assumption that it was a roof vent. It’s interesting that my next-door neighbors 39 MB Redwood does not have that type of vent between the two ACs. And it’s the same mfg. year even the same paint job.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:28 PM   #4

Yes its the attic roof vent, you should have two . 3 minuet install if its the same brand cover. I am sure one of the guys in the camp ground could help you !

https://www.amazon.com/Mushroom-wate...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 06-23-2022, 12:05 AM   #5

When you install the replacement cover, add a dab of silicone or Blue Locktight to the threads first or you'll end up replacing again.
For what ever reason RW stopped putting the attic vents on 2016 and newer models.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #6

Thank you Xcmark, I ordered it yesterday through Amazon and it should be here by Saturday. I also sent them a note to the supplier to see in the future if you can buy just the cover. I have not heard back. I think part of my problem is not just the fact that the nut could loosen up but we live in the southwest and the UV radiation is significant and could have made that plastic cover brittle. Thanks again, cactus Jack
Old 06-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #7

Thank you Mhs4771 for your suggestion regarding putting a lock type lubricant on the threads. I will certainly do that. As I also commented to XE Mark, we live in the Arizona southwest area and have significant ultraviolet light that shines down on my rig when it is in storage. It may be that the plastic got brittle just like air conditioning shrouds and that may have contributed to losing that. I was also surprised by your comment that in 2016 they stop putting the roof vent on. My friend who camps next to me up in Flagstaff has a 20 1539 MB, but it was manufactured five months after mine so they may have started removing the vents at that time. I’m not sure why they would do that Sense attic ventilation is a good thing, and not a bad thing. Again thank you for your suggestion and input. CactusJack
Old 06-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #8

One more thought to MHS4771, when the part arrives on Saturday I am planning to apply a ultraviolet resistive spray paint to the plastic shroud. That may help minimize UV exposure and the possibility of a possible brittle break. I am making the assumption that that may have contributed to the loss of the shroud as well. The nut was missing and that adds to your thought to put the Loctite lubricant on the threads. I will also be checking the other vent, although I have not climbed the ladder fully up and cannot see it visibly standing on the ladder. At age 79 I am not real tempted to try to crawl up on my roof so I may get help from my buddy who’s 10 years younger than me and has the other Redwood. Thanks again, cactus Jack