Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #21

The majority of my issues have been with the level up system, everything else has been minor. I'm retiring soon but have thought about what it might be like working for Redwood and helping them sort out issues on the quality and consistency of their production line. In addition their marketing needs serious attention. These are not really hard problems to solve from my POV. I've been involved in startups before and what I see from the outside with Redwood is a fair amount of inconsistency. A strong leader in the company should be able to sort this issue out quickly.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #22

Well said sinder!!
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #23

As for the outline of the Aluminum frame. I think if you look at most any unit on a cool moring with a good dew you'll see the same thing. I know we could on our Montana.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
Site Team

Some company used to advertise that they filled their aluminum frames with foam but I don't remember who it was. Keep in mind that any type of metal is going to transfer heat or cold regardless of it being filled or not. That's why a few companies tried to stay with wood as a frame because it had better R value. However now I think every manufacture has switched to aluminum tube.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Some company used to advertise that they filled their aluminum frames with foam but I don't remember who it was. Keep in mind that any type of metal is going to transfer heat or cold regardless of it being filled or not. That's why a few companies tried to stay with wood as a frame because it had better R value. However now I think every manufacture has switched to aluminum tube.

Excel is still wood framed. Here is their comment on wood verses aluminum. http://www.excelrvs.com/smart-shopper/wood-vs-aluminumhttp://www.excelrvs.com/smart-shopper/wood-vs-aluminumJayco started using wood joists in floors and roofs a couple of years ago. There are some builders using wood in the aluminum framing to have betterscrew retention, with Dynamax being one.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #26
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

Don,

I hear your frustration but as you can see from the picture, the only way to see if they had not insulated your nose cap would be by drilling a hole in one of the shoe shelves in your closet. You can buy pretty cheap a inspection scope at most home builder type store like Lowes or Menards. In the picture you can see where the safe is installed between the frame rails just above the hitch pin. The way the trailer is made, there wouldn't be any insulation there.

When I toured the factory and took these pictures I wish I had taken one of the front cap with insulation. They use bats of insulation in the nose cap area which apparently isn't working as well as they had hoped. I would love to see them use a spray foam insulation like they use in stick homes. Last summer my closet got very hot too. Apparently most other RV's had the same problem from what I've read on other sites as well.

As for "blow-in" insulation, this might work well because it's not heavy and does a great job of getting into small crevices. Again I think you'd have to drill 3 holes, one on each side and then one in the middle. Each of these holes would have to be up high.

You're right I'm only 5 hours from the factory and my trailer is there now having a few things fixed, one of which is a jack that was leaking. It's still an inconvenience for me to take the trailer over there and of course costly in diesel, but I enjoy pulling it so it gives me an excuse to have some fun out of the office. I don't understand why the company wouldn't approve the repairs for you sooner, and that would be my focus point if I were in your shoes. Are you contacting the company directly or asking your dealer to contact them? I'd be talking with Brian (Go Go Gadget) or Linda (Tinkerbell) directly.

For the record, I've had some issues with my trailer. Most have been because of the need for adjustments that could have been caused by the vibration of going down the road. Although some could have also been avoided with better quality control as well. Each time I had problems the company has gone out of their way to solve my problems in very timely matter.

I hope they help you soon and put your mind at ease.

Happy Trails

Hi Dave,

Two questions for you:

-1 "The way the trailer is made, there wouldn't be any insulation there."

What do you mean by this? Are you suggesting there is no insulation in the floor?

-2 I am a little confused by the picture, what is that wooden box in the upper middle of the image? It seems to be sticking outside the trailer walls.

Thanks!

par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #27

I can relate with the frustration. My 36RE has been in and out of the shop multiple times over the past year. Themost recently ithas been in shop for3 months and still not finished. 55" TV fell off rear wall (just one thing on long list). Factory refusing to replace the TV after it fell several feet face down. At this point I wish I hadpurchased from different manufacturer. I had 2 different trailers previously, repairs were alwaysdone in reasonable time frame.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #28
par

Can you please elaborate who those manufacturers might be?
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
Site Team

The wooden box you're talking about is the shoe shelf that's behind the nose cap. This picture was taken before the insulation was put in. They use bats of insulation there under the fiberglass nose cap.

The safe is located in the floor above the hitch area, where the frame comes together. I don't see how they could but a metal box in that area and insulation.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #30

Just my two cents after looking at the pictures of the nose on the unit. I don't seehow the insulation could be missed during the installation of the nose cap, I have looked at Daves other pictures of the assembly process (factory tour) and I'm assuming that these units each have their own crew working on each process of the build. I guess human error could miss something like not putting yellow insulation batting on before setting nose cap onbut it's highly unlikely.
Amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Site Team

I'm going to the factory tomorrow to pick my trailer up and I'll see if I can get a picture then of a unit with insulation on the front wall.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #32

Grab me a couple widows for a 36FL living room slide out with valences and shades... I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
Say hey to Brian and Linda for me too...

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #33

I paid my down payment and expect delivery in April. I am begining to wonder if we made the right decision. We are going to be fulltiming come next fall. I sure don't need to start retirement disappointed. I sure hope someone from Redwood is monitoring these conversations.......and then doing something about it.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #34
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I paid my down payment and expect delivery in April. I am begining to wonder if we made the right decision. We are going to be fulltiming come next fall. I sure don't need to start retirement disappointed. I sure hope someone from Redwood is monitoring these conversations.......and then doing something about it.
Youshouldn'tworry about anything Lilly gathered up ann the problems and put them in his rig

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
Site Team

It can't be too bad...Im planing on buying another one next year
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #36

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Why do you need another one? Are you starting a collection or are you trading yours in
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce

Why do you need another one? Are you starting a collection or are you trading yours in
We really like our "RL" but since we use this trailer so much in our business we're thinking we might like the "BR" model. I really liked the "KB" but my wife wasn't as keen on the open shower. I guess the thought of me sitting there drinking "Jack" in a lawn chair watching her shower didn't turn her on as much as I thought. I think she's afraid I'd be holding up score cards like they used to in the Olympics.

If I don't get hurt too bad....I'll probably trade mine in.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #38

Here's my take on the situation:

I think these things are whatever you want to make of
them. </span>If you’re going to nitpick every
little thing then you’re not going to be happy no matter what.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

We’ve had our unit since the end of April and spent over 4
months and about 10,000 miles in it. </span>In
that time it has not been back to any dealer anywhere for anything. </span>We’ve had a few problems, some poor design
issue (the flex hose for the washer drain) where my suggestions have been
incorporated into newer units, some human error (recent melted wire nut on the
Hot Water Heater). </span>But nothing we couldn’t
fix ourselves with a little effort put forth on our part and excellent support
from Redwood, aka Brian.

Granted I may not be typical, but I was raised on a small
farm in rural Western New York where repairs were done right there. </span>As I grew older, if I needed something
repaired, I was told “There’s the tools, go fix it”. </span>So I learned to fend for myself.

I owned an older Corvette at one time, and if you didn’t do
your own repairs they would nickel and dime you to death, not to mention the
fact as soon as you said Corvette, Garages would see dollar signs. </span>And these things are no different if you can’t
do even the simplest tasks and rely on the Dealer for everything you won’t be a
happy camper.

So I will now get off my “Soap Box”

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #39

Well Said Michelle!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #40

Michelle, we might be twins!
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote