Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Shower Skylight ? and more......

We spent the last week at Disney's Fort Wilderness. We really enjoyed it but getting a big 5th wheel into your spot there can be a challenge. Due to the hurricane passing by to the west we got a good bit of rain so we were able to isolate the previously mentioned leak in the dining slide....more on that below.

Those of you who have been there will know that the campground is filled with tall pines. During some of the passing storms we would get bombarded with pine cones, some of them the hard green type. One of these hit the bathroom shower skylight and cracked it. We took another hit to the bathroom fan but it only dented the cover. That sucked because I have a maxxfan cover in the basement waiting for us to stop somewhere long enough to install.

My question is, can I just replace the top of the skylight or do I have to do the whole thing ?

Other stuff....

I had mentioned in another post that we had a leak from the window by the dining table. After an inspection of the top of the slide I decided to take the water hose to just the window to see if I could isolate it to there and it began to leak right away. So it appears that window needs to be removed and resealed. That's probably not something I want to tackle. Since we are full time now and on the road I wont be near where we purchased it for a few months for them to do under warranty. The other choice I guess is to call out a mobile service and pay out of my pocket. Any chance of Redwood paying for that ? In the meantime I picked up some weatherstripping and have put it across the top of the window and that has stopped the leak.

We also had a problem with the Bauer lock on the door. The bolt lock part is broken and wont come out so we can't lock the door from the inside at night. Called Bauer directly and they are sending me a new one free of charge to the RV park we are at which is nice since they are about $175 to $200 to purchase.

On a positive note, the Saliun tires I purchased through Ron are performing wonderfully. We are about 2000 miles in with them and no issues at all. Just looking at them you can tell you've got a solid tire and the peace of mind on the road is worth the price. I realize it still early with them but I'd have no problem recommending them based on my experience so far.

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

You can replace only the top side part of the skylight, the worst part will be removing the 3" wide gob of caulking (those guys must get paid by the tube). Resealing the window is a simple task, if it's one one the big ones you WILL need help, carefully remove the wood trim & valance inside along with a couple dozen screws while supporting it outside then carefully push it out. I used the caulking tape to replace the foam gasket they used & NO leaks since.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Yes you can. I replaced all three of my MaxxFan lids with smoke color (since my RL is black/silver). Problem is, you have to order lids from factory.

Open lid, remove phillips head screws on both ends. Use ice pick or scratch awl to push long hinge pin out enough to grab & pull out with pliars. Reverse to install. 5 minute job.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

I had a mobile tech replace our bathroom skylight after an incident. Standing on the ground and semi observing, the removal of the caulk took the greatest amount of time. The tech used a heat gun for removal. It wasn't until we arrived home and a few weeks later that I was on the roof and realized that the tech never replaced the valance when he had the original skylight removed. Maybe it had something to do with the design of the replacement skylight. Regardless, when you do the job, make sure your valance can be reinstalled with the new skylight.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

If you need Maxx fan parts call them directly, they are great to deal with & probably cheaper than the factory.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
If you need Maxx fan parts call them directly, they are great to deal with & probably cheaper than the factory.
I was making minor slide adjustments the other day and had to get up on the roof to see how they were sealing on top. While up there, I checked caulk around everything. Things looked good but still had to tweak the slide. Got back on top and suddenly noticed that the Maxxfan cover had 2 long crack on top. The cracks are where the metal arms attach to the lid. Since I was taking the fifth wheel in to an RV repair shop the next day (due to 2 blowouts) I didn't want any leaks. Went to 2 different RV dealers but neither sells the replacement Maxxfan lids and their suppliers did not have any. I ended up sealing the cracks with Eternabond tape until I can get a replacement lid. I called Maxxfan(Maxair) and explained the situation and I was told that those covers are warranted for 6 years. I didn't know that. She is sending me a replacement lid free of charge. Now that is what customer service is all about!!!! She asked me how the lid got cracked and I explained to her that I had no clue and that the fifth wheel was only 3 years old and 90% of the time it is under a steel cover.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:38 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
That's good to hear Rick
I have not heard any negatives yet about the suppliers that have parts in our trailers.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Rick...thanks for the info. I need to do the same.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote