Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

Question Onan propane Generator

I have a 2014 31sl and it looks like it is gen prepped. It has the display on the kitchen wall. with start switch and hour meter, Ipurchased onan propane 5500 to add. I found the generator start wires and need the color diagram for that. But more importantly,where is the the inverter to tie into located. Any thoughts or where I can find it would be appreciated, I am an electrician but not for rvs
All help is invited.
Texasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #2

Can't help with the wires, but I thing you mean the Transfer Switch to tie into as an Inverter has nothing to do with a Generator.
If you look behind the generator enclosure from the battery compartment you should see the transfer switch mounted on the back wall.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasted View Post
I have a 2014 31sl and it looks like it is gen prepped. It has the display on the kitchen wall. with start switch and hour meter, Ipurchased onan propane 5500 to add. I found the generator start wires and need the color diagram for that. But more importantly,where is the the inverter to tie into located. Any thoughts or where I can find it would be appreciated, I am an electrician but not for rvs
All help is invited.
To add to M&As comments, unless you have a residential fridge or added an inverter you'll have a converter instead, neither have any direct connection to the generator, it must go through the transfer switch first.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:52 PM   #4

I'm in the Philippines right now and can't look to give you wire hook-up but in mine the ABT (Transfer Switch) is located on the side wall in the battery side of the compartment. It you have one installed already it may have the shore power cable already hooked up to it. L1 black wire, L2 white wire, and L3 red wire with the bare ground wire connecting to the ground terminal. The feed from the generator will hook up to the other set of L1, L2 and L3 and ground. When you crank up the generator the transfer switch will switch over to the generator feeding the AC of your RV. Generator will be the primary source when it is running even if you have shore power hooked up. When you kill the generator it will switch back to shore power as the main source of AC. As for the wires from the control panel they should be not too hard to figure out what hooks to what on the generator. I'm sure there is someone on here that can look and send you pics and a description of the control wire hookup. I am assuming that with the Gen Prep package that they installed the ABT and hooked it up already with the shore power cable in and out to feed AC to the coach. Hooking up the Gen to the other set of connectors is really pretty easy. Good luck. Hope I helped you some. Open the ABT cover and you will see the connection inside for the shore power, just follow suit with the gen wires. I am adding a pic of a normal hookup of the transfer switch, yours may look different but the hookup is the same. In the pic the two power sources, shore power and gen come in on the right hooking up to the breakers. On the other side of the breakers there is a jumper wire from one to the other and then the load cable in connected to them to feed the coach. Just use this as a guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABT.JPG (56.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-01-2021, 02:03 AM   #5

Geo, thought you had left the Philippines. We got the jab on 07.24.. we are still here also.
Sorry to HJack thread.
Bob & MariaVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #6

in the photo the coach power panel is the top left , the generator power is the bottom right and utility power cord is the top right.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
in the photo the coach power panel is the top left , the generator power is the bottom right and utility power cord is the top right.
That is what I said, I just didn't describe which was from the shore power and which was from the generator. I assume that if he has the ABT already in place that one side is being fed from the shore power and the empty spot would be where he hooks up the generator. If you notice the jumper wires coming from the load side of the bottom breaker are smaller in size so I am sure you are correct because you would want the the shore power to hook up to the bigger wires because the shore power carries the whole load of the coach and the generator will only carry a lighter load. When I'm on the generator I only run one air conditioner. This isn't an actual pic of my coach, When he opens the ABT in his coach he will see a different pic because my ABT is rectangle and the power sources hook up at the bottom and the load comes out the top of the breakers.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:48 AM   #8

I'll post a very obvious and probably stupid statement. MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT CONNECTED TO SHORE POWER WHEN WORKING IN THE TRANSFER SWITCH BOX!!! LOL
Langenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #9

Do most who have a generator replace your propane bottles to the 40# so to get more time?
Old 08-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #10

I ordered the 40s and Onan when we placed our order for our RW.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:14 AM   #11

Thanks

Thanks to all for the help,I found everything so far like you said and plan on installing sometime next month I’ll post if I have any questions. Again Thanks so much for all the posts, y’all are the best!
Old 08-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #12

yes they are!!!
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #13

We added 40s and keep the 30s with us in back of truck to use as needed...
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote