Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Inverter

We have a 2020 3901. The Xantrex 1500 sine wave inverter is not switching over to battery upon loss of shore power. I'm fairly familiar with inverters having 25 years of owning houseboats. Typically the inverter wont invert if there is no load. Is it possible that the fridge is not plugged into the correct outlet. The fridge only comes on with shore power. Anyone else have/had this issue?
Andypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I would make sure it is on and working properly the turn off shore power and then check all plugs with a meter to see. Which one is connected to the invertor. If that does not work you may have to try and trace the wiring from the invertor to the plug. Also are your batteries good i would check them as well
Old 05-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #3

Have you verified that you have 12 VDC coming into the inverter?? Our 12 V Hot line goes through a 150 amp fuse mounted on the battery side of the basement bulkhead, while some actually have a large (similar to the battery disconnect) switch inline between battery and inverter.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

Our 3401 RL is Generator ready. The automatic switch only switches from the Shore power to The genereator. Ours does not switch from shore to inverter. You must be a double jointed contorsionist to pust the start button on the inverter. If you hear a beep you are in business. If not maybe the GFI has tripped and needs resetting un the inverter. I don't bend as short as I use to so I purchased the remote switch for $29.99 off Amazon and wired it back to the convience center so I can stand upright and turn on the inverter
Borkfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #5

I think what someone was trying to say..................our inverter has a transfer relay as part of the inverter that passes shore power to the load when shore power is available. When shore power goes away, it automatically transfers the load to the inverter (using the onboard battery(ies) until shore power comes back and it switches to back to shore power automatically.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #6

Inverter is working. The power to the fridge comes into the slide out behind the fireplace. I've decided to let the dealer handle it as it's still in warranty.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #7

We have a new 4001 and had the very same problem ... turned out the solar panel was giving the inverter just enough load that it would never switch over to battery for the fridge to work ... all we had to do is reprogram the Inverter to a higher threshold
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #8

Thanks. No solar on mine however
Old 05-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #9

My 2018 GK has the Magnum Inverter which has been reliable but on several occasions during switch over from shore power to generator the built in GFCI outlet on the inverter trips off. I don’t know if the Xantrex has a GFCI on it but I’d check that.
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:03 AM   #10

Our 3401 inverter. Check the transfer switch that is plugged into the converter outlet which is a GFCI. I can not tell by looking if it is working so I use any other device to plug into the outlet to see if it is working, on mine it takes a screwdriver to push the reset back in. I almost bought a new inverter because my batteries were draining from the fridge while plugged into shore power. . Why the GFCI popped that one time I still do not know.
chugsonja@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andypar View Post
We have a 2020 3901. The Xantrex 1500 sine wave inverter is not switching over to battery upon loss of shore power. I'm fairly familiar with inverters having 25 years of owning houseboats. Typically the inverter wont invert if there is no load. Is it possible that the fridge is not plugged into the correct outlet. The fridge only comes on with shore power. Anyone else have/had this issue?
Yes when we bought our new 2019 3901 WB the inverter was wired to the microwave and not to the refrigerator. The dealer rewired it and it has worked well since
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote