Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Just looking for some information from you experienced RV'ers. I have a 2012 RW34SK. I also own a rather new Honda 2000 watt generator used in dry camping with my old RV. I was showing friends my new Redwood and had all the 12 volt lights on inside the rig. I wanted to hook-up the generator and when I started it the generator immediately went into overload. Nothing requiring AC was in an "on" position. Question is why. I know I had a lot of lights on but they should not have knocked out the generator. After discussing this with Bill Hodge at the factory he had me turn off all AC breakers, start the generator, and then slowly turn on the two mains and then the rest of the breakers. No problem with the generator this time but I did not turn on all the lights either. I did run the TV in the bedroom. Any thoghts out htere about this? I am anxious to learn more.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Site Team

it takes a pair of honda 2000 gennys hooked together to run 30 amps and even though you didn't have the a/c on , you were still hooked up to a 30/50 amp system. The only thing you could do with a honda that size is to hook it up to a battery charger and power your lights through the 12 volt system that way while keeping your batteries charged.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Our other 5th wheel was a 33ft. with three slide, 50 amp service. we had two of the honda 2000's.

one of the gens would run everything except a/c. both were needed for the a/c.

Lillyputz
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Jack, have you converted to LED lites or do you have the halogens?? Those halogens draw a lot of juice from the batteries and converter and maybe with a couple of other things you did realize that were on might put enough of a load to knock out a 2000 as they can only handle a steady load of approx 13 amps. If you have converted to LEDs then forget everything I've said.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

Jack,

I'm guessing you had the lights on for a while before you tried to start the generator. That would have been drawing power from the batteries and when you started the generator the load from the lights and the converter trying to recharge the batteries was way to much load.

If you don't have one pick up an Amp meter that can measure AC and DC Amps. Then repeat the process. Start with the batteries fully charged and the RV connected to AC. Check the load from your lights, then turn them off remove the AC from the RV and reconnect your generator. I bet it will run just fine.

Then start turning on the lights one at a time watching the DC load in the RV and check the AC load on generator. That is the only way you will know what you can do with the generator and what is safe.

HTH, Keith

KWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the information. I will try all the sequences above. I have not converted to LED lights but that is in the future for my rig. I believe the draw from all the lights were too much for the generator to handle. The only reason all the lights were on was to show the RV to my daughter who was seeing it for the first time.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Other thing to look at.
Hot water tank switch was the fridge on auto it will switch over to electric.
Also turn off converter for a little bit of time and then turn it on.
As mentioned before 20 w light x how many you have on you are using lots of power
Been using a 2000 Honda for many years with no problems they are a good unit for dry camping.
Dry camp for two to four week a year .
Concours12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
it takes a pair of honda 2000 gennys hooked together to run 30 amps and even though you didn't have the a/c on , you were still hooked up to a 30/50 amp system. The only thing you could do with a honda that size is to hook it up to a battery charger and power your lights through the 12 volt system that way while keeping your batteries charged.
I use the Honda EU6500IS on a hitch attachment on the back of the Redwood with a short cord, very quite generator and it is in the back away from the bedroom. I got it for the house for hurricanes. Very fuel efficient, plus I can use it where ever.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Buddy, Can you use your Honda 6500 to run your AC units and if you can you do you use a short 50 amp cord
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandon13399
Just looking for some information from you experienced RV'ers.Â* I have a 2012 RW34SK.Â* I also own a rather new Honda 2000 watt generator used in dry camping with my old RV.Â* I was showing friends my new Redwood and had all the 12 volt lights on inside the rig.Â* I wanted to hook-up the generator and when I started it the generator immediately went into overload.Â* Nothing requiring AC was in an "on" position.Â* Question is why.Â* I know I had a lot of lights on but they should not have knocked out the generator.Â* After discussing this with Bill Hodge at the factory he had me turn off all AC breakers, start the generator, and then slowly turn on the two mains and then the rest of the breakers.Â* No problem with the generator this time but I did not turn on all the lights either.Â* I did run the TV in the bedroom.Â* Any thoghts out htere about this?Â* I am anxious to learn more.
Did you us a surge protector inline with the generator. I'm showing ground fault with my Honda 6500 and don't know if it matters. Should I not use a surge protector at the generator plug? I'm using my 240v/30 amp receptacle on the generator.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #11

interesting topic --- what would be the minimum size gen set we'd need to run 1 ac ?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Site Team

You can usually run one AC with a 3000 Watt generator.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo
interesting topic --- what would be the minimum size gen set we'd need to run 1 ac ?
It's my understanding that one a/c unit is a 30 amp draw at start up. If you haven't ordered your Redwood yet, I would like to recommend the factory generator if you're going to be traveling much.

There's nothing like the convience and freedom of traveling with 50 amps at a touch of a button. I'm in Florida right now on a business trip. Needless to say it's hot down here and while traveling we pull into a rest area, fire up the generator, turn on both a/c units and then fix our lunch. If we're tired, we take a nap with the a/c blowing cold air on us. To me that's convenience.

It's true you can put a generator in the bed of your truck but then you have to run a power cord to it and you sure loose some of the convenience.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

We carry a generator with us as we have not had an onboard installed. I would recommend the onboard though if for no other reason than the sound. External generators will drive you nuts with the sound that they make.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #15

thanks for the info...gentlemen
for what we are going to do with it,
the $5000 onan seemed like overkill for us...

99% of the time we have electricity available as our storage facility has it and we rarely don't stay at park withOUT 50 amp service...

what I am considering is a genset for the last hour of our drive to 'pre cool' the rv .... that's all
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #16

We store our trailer where there is no power. The genset is great when we go work on the trailer or to pre-cool the fridge before heading out. Also good for sites that only offer 30 amp... cool down the coach with 2 A/Cs on genny and then switch to shore power with 1 A/C.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #17

To find out how big a generator you would need to run what you want, use the formula VxA=W. Where V=volts, A=amps, &W= watts. Depending on how many amps you A/C uses at startup will determine what you need. If it draws 15.9 amps, X 120 V. you would need a gen. that would put out at least 1908 watts. This would be to just run the A/C. If you were going to run any thing else, you would have to include that in your figures. We used to carry a 2000W Honda that we would use when we boondocked at Quartzite, AZ. It was enough to keep the batteries charged, brew coffee, run the furnace and other low draw items. It was lite, quit, and suited our needs. Everybody has to decide what they need for themselves depending on where they go, & what they do.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
We store our trailer where there is no power. The genset is great when we go work on the trailer or to pre-cool the fridge before heading out. Also good for sites that only offer 30 amp... cool down the coach with 2 A/Cs on genny and then switch to shore power with 1 A/C.
X2! I vacuum and run the ACs while we unload and clean up for storage. Also great on the roadside stops.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #19

rc, Thanks for the formula !
having majored in 'endgenering' helped that, but don't have the rv, nor the ac specs, so ballparking it now...

and to the op, sorry for hijacking your thread :-}
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo
It's my understanding that one a/c unit is a 30 amp draw at start up.Â* If you haven't ordered your Redwood yet, I would like to recommend the factory generator if you're going to be traveling much.

There's nothing like the convience and freedom of traveling with 50 amps at a touch of a button.Â* I'm in Florida right now on a business trip.Â* Needless to say it's hot down here and while traveling we pull into a rest area, fire up the generator, turn on both a/c units and then fix our lunch.Â* If we're tired, we take a nap with the a/c blowing cold air on us.Â* To me that's convenience.

It's true you can put a generator in the bed of your truck but then you have to run a power cord to it and you sure loose some of the convenience.
Dave, do you think the Honda 3000IS would run one A/C Unit. Leonard of Crossgate is running his house boat with one, but I don't know what size unit he has.