I have recently installed a Onan 5.5 LP generator in the factory prepped location of my REDWOOD 2014 36RE 5th wheel. All I was suppose to have to do was hook my generator wires to the LPT50BRD transfer switching box I thought. My problem is when I unplug the 50 amp shore cord and crank the generator things go all wrong. The gen. is making 2 hot 120 volt wires 1 netural and a ground. it is showing 120 volt coming to out to the control panel inside the front door but when I check the circuit breakers there is NO voltage to the panel. The transfer switch is also sending 120 volts to the shore power cord plug that is unplugged from shore. I found this out when I picked the shore power cord up by the metal prongs of the cord and was shockingly supprised when I got a shock from it and when I put the meter on it I had 120 volts on each of the hot terminals (quite a SHOCK). I have done all the trouble shooting and all seems to be correct. I had a licened electrician check it out but was not able to discover the problem in the short time he had to work with it. I have replaced the Time Delay Board thinking that it might be the culprit but it did not help the problem.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Albert
PS, Everything works correct if the shore power is plugged in and the generator is not running.
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Thanks for all the input. I'll make a long story as short as possible. My problem was that the transfer switch box was wire wrong from the factory. The wire that was on the "panel out side" of the transfer box was was actually the Shore Power Wires. The "Shore Power In terminal" was wired with the "Panel out Wires". When I would crank the generator it would make the Shore Power Plug HOT. And I would not get any power to the fuse/circuit breaker inside the RV. It took 2 electricians, 1 technician scratching their heads and they never found the problem. I finally found the problem after I picked up the Shore power plug by one of the metal prongs and got shocked real good. After that I checked the volts on both hot wires in the plug and it had 120 V on each terminal. Lucky I didn't get electruited.
PS. excuse the spelling.