Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #1

Did the unthinkable....

I guess it was probably only a matter of time..

Some of you may remember that I ordered my 2017 31SL in 2016 on a factory order picking every option that was desirable. On the way to delivering the unit, the transport driver rolled the trailer in high winds in Wyoming. So we start the process over again and wait another 2 months.

I was so excited to get the Sickens Paint with the base and clear coat. It came in perfect!!. I even did a paint seal when it arrived so you can brush your teeth in the reflection.

You probably guessed by now that I screwed that up. I had a rolling cart that I somehow tucked behind the dining slide. I then decided to close the slide with the cart behind it. BANG! The lower panel on the slide bent out and cracked (small) and the quarter panel bent in.

WHAT A BONE-HEADED MOVE!

I put things back as far as I could but this is going to need a Body Shop repair to make it right. Probably will need those lower panels replaced as they are very thin and flimsy. I cant see them being straightened.There is a shop here with a fairly good reputation that has a paint booth big enough for Motorhomes and fifth-wheels.

Here is the question: Do I have the local guy do it or is there a better way? I thought at one time someone took theirs back to a factory body shop in Indiana. Seems like a very long way from Salt Lake City but I want this done correctly and my Base/Clear Paint Job back to perfect.

Who has advise for me?? I am beyond upset about this.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:10 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Personally I would not drive to zindiana and get it done. If you can have it done locally would be best
Old 06-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Agree with the above. If you're not familiar with the shop, ask for some local references. There's a couple of shops local to me that I would trust as much as the folks that do the paint for the factory, so you may have the same situation locally to you. I've seen jobs from a couple of the local shops here is that not only could you see if you had something stuck on your teeth, you could tell what it was that is stuck there, haha.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:23 AM   #4

if you find a shop that can do it with urethane paint and get it to match , GET-R-DONE. I am like you , very picky and I can find where most body shops have "flat rate work ethics" ….. I am even willing to pay the difference from flat rate work to perfection, most shops cant raise the bar past "flat rate quality'.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

Definitely get it done locally. They may even do a better job, and no long drive.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #6

local body shop

I cracked the cap on my Redwood when I turned to sharp. Totally trust the local body shop up the road from me (they got to fix the truck also). Probably needs a new cap.
Kalispellcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 AM   #7

You must have a short bed truck as I cannot conceive how one could do that with a long bed.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote