Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

Clicking noise

I've read through the forums on the stabilizer noises. But, we have a noise that seems different from what is described. We only hear it at night (could be during the day and we just aren't hearing it). We have a front bedroom, and almost every night at least once and sometimes more we are awakened with a pecking/clicking type noise. At first we thought it might be a bird or animal pecking on something, but it sounds more mechanical...maybe electrical. It sounds like it's outside, not inside (maybe in the wall??). It may be in the vicinity of the dryer, security light, and/or cable/TV booster switch.

Any thoughts????

Thanks!
Nocapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #2

You mention Dryer, is it a vented dryer? I know that if it's breezy our dryer vent flap will make a sort of clicking sound same as the stove/microwave vent when it flaps in the breeze.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You mention Dryer, is it a vented dryer? I know that if it's breezy our dryer vent flap will make a sort of clicking sound same as the stove/microwave vent when it flaps in the breeze.
Same as ours.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 PM   #4

vent possibility

Thanks MHS....we'll check that. That could be what it is. I hope it's that easy!!

Travelin Texans....what do you mean....do you have the noise?
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocapo View Post
Thanks MHS....we'll check that. That could be what it is. I hope it's that easy!!

Travelin Texans....what do you mean....do you have the noise?
Same dryer & microwave flappers chattering if wind is just right.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

We have the same issue but we have isolated it to the port side front Jack. I released and the sound went away for about a week, then returned. I see no fluid leak so don't know where to go from here. 😒
DandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #7

Caterpillar makes a hydraulic oil additive you can put in the jack system to stop popping and snapping. If I remember right you take the weight off the jacks by hooking up to the truck and remove some fluid out of the reservoir (same amount you will put in) then pour the additive in and it helps stop the popping and clicking.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #8

I have a rear bedroom model.

I had a clicking noise heard only at night also. It was rain and/or AC condensate draining from the roof, splattering on the exterior of the bed slide out lower flange. I didn't hear it during the day because I was not in my bed sleeping.
SB-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post
Caterpillar makes a hydraulic oil additive you can put in the jack system to stop popping and snapping. If I remember right you take the weight off the jacks by hooking up to the truck and remove some fluid out of the reservoir (same amount you will put in) then pour the additive in and it helps stop the popping and clicking.
Also 15w motorcycle fork oil will work & much cheaper than the Cat oil.
Retract ALL hydraulic slides/jacks (DO NOT skip this step) with RV connected to the truck, remove 1 quart of oil from the reservoir with a turkey baster or whatever works for you, replace that quart with the fork oil or Cat oil filling reservoir to within 1/4-1/2" from the opening, then extend/retract ALL slides/jacks a few times to mix the oil, then retract all one last time, check reservoir fluid level & top off if needed. Always check/add fluid with all hydraulics retracted otherwise you'll overfill the reservoir causing a big oily mess when you retract them. This should stop the popping/creaking of your jacks, if not there's other sources of your noises.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocapo View Post
I've read through the forums on the stabilizer noises. But, we have a noise that seems different from what is described. We only hear it at night (could be during the day and we just aren't hearing it). We have a front bedroom, and almost every night at least once and sometimes more we are awakened with a pecking/clicking type noise. At first we thought it might be a bird or animal pecking on something, but it sounds more mechanical...maybe electrical. It sounds like it's outside, not inside (maybe in the wall??). It may be in the vicinity of the dryer, security light, and/or cable/TV booster switch.

Any thoughts????

Thanks!
In my opinion the issue stems from the jacks. We have 2014 and these noises come and go through time of day, time of year, etc. Really, really annoying and no matter what we do, it has yet to go away. However, some times the noise level is low, others have awakened us at night also.
Realize, I am not much help. Under warranty, they replaced some of the oil with forklift oil as suggested. This is a few years ago, but the knocking is back.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #11

All I can say, we've been living in our MB almost full time for the last 5 years and the jacks have never made any sound. The only sound we get if the wind direction is right is the stove vent flap and dryer vent flap will rattle in the wind.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:54 PM   #12

We don’t think it’s the jacks. We actually may hear them pop occasionally. But this almost sounds like a woodpecker type noise. After looking at the dryer flap and listening again, we don’t think it’s the flap either. Now we’re thinking it may be some sort of electrical short in the security light. ??? Puzzling
Old 05-20-2020, 03:12 AM   #13

There is also another source. Thermal cycling from the heat of the day to the cool of the night primarily the steel frame that causes the jacks to actually skid the jack pads against the ground or asphalt/concrete. I never hear it while boondocking at Quartzite, Az or in the forests of Wa. But when we set up in Apache Junction Az the popping starts up. I now put two plastic pads beneath every jack and the popping goes away. Although I did add the quart of Cat hydraulic oil as well prior to the pads.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #14

If you are using your ac or heat pump, the movement caused by the heating and cooling of ductwork in the ceiling can Can sound like something scratching, also on the ac return ducts you can sometimes get a ticking noise caused by air current moving The tape or foil on leading edge of the duct. Sometimes it makes a little clicking or ticking, sometimes not. I removed the filter on the offender and used a small piece of duct tape to stop the noise
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote