Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2023, 11:52 PM   #1

Cleaning Grey Water Tanks

I own a 2015 36RL with 2 Grey Water Tanks. While in an RV Park this past week I noticed a person working on his newer Montana and cleaning the Grey Water Tanks with a long hose about 1/4 to 3/8 inch attached to a hose. it had a tip on the end that increased the water pressure and had multiple outputs to spray water in different directions. He closed all tank valves except the one he wanted to clean and used an attachment connected to his sewer hose on his sewer outlet that gave him access to the sewer outlet. He fed the hose into the outlet and up to the tank being cleaned and the results were amazing.

I wonder if anyone has done this on a Redwood. I see that Amazon sells these cleaning kits. My concern are the many 90 degree turns getting to the tanks according to the schematics I downloaded from the forum on the 36RL and I certainly would not want to jam the hose and not be about to retrieve it. Alternatively, I did also see what looks like a clear path will little turns coming from the roof vents to the 2 Grey Tanks. It would be great to be able to clean the tanks and perhaps get a better reading on the gauges in the RV.
Cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:32 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Eugene_Elder
Tank Cleaning

Yes. I have a 2014 36RL. Im an NRVTA and NRVIA-certified Inspector. YES, you can use a pressure washer with a plumber's tip on it and clean your tanks. I have personally made my own rig and it works. Yes, you are correct that there are some turns. The hardest thing is to find a small diameter high-pressure straight hose and get it connected to the washer. you also have to drill an oblong hole in a 45-degree fitting, which is where to insert the hose into your external dump valve. Yes, my sensor all worked correctly (again for about 3 months). I am going to upgrade my sensors to the new external sensor pads in order to have good readings.

Good luck,
Eugene Elder
RV Consultant, Inc
https://USRVInspector.com

PS. If you are in the So Cal area I clean RV tanks at $179 for the first tank and $149 for any remaining tanks.
Cell - 8054795454
Eugene_Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:39 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Eugene_Elder
Would you please post a link to the schematics you found on the 36RL?
Cell - 8054795454
Eugene_Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:07 PM   #4

Hi Eugene and thank you for the input on cleaning Grey Water Holding Tanks. Sorry for the delayed response but I had a computer crash that required reloading data and given my age that was a fun project to do. Since your response I have also noted on the schematics that there appears to be a more direct route through the roof vent, but still unsure about that. I have not explored any of this further as yet since I was going through a recovery process on my computer which kept me busy.

Regarding the source for the schematics on the 36RL. I found them in this forum. I entered a search request for 36RL schematics and I found a link from a existing user.
Cactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote