Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #1

Banging Pipes

Have a 2018 34RL and have recently noticed intermittent banging / shaking water pipes when we are using the sink(s). This happens more when using the bathroom sink, but also occasionally with the kitchen sink. Also happens either with hot or cold water. The noise sounds very similar to water hammer, but I'm used to water hammer in our old house when the valve to our irrigation system slams shut thus causing the hammer in the pipes. This is the opposite scenario, when we are opening the taps to use the sinks.

I opened up the basement to see if I could visually trace any issues, but only found that all of the lines I could spot don't seem to be tightly connected to any supports and are free to shake around with the pump vibration. If it happened all the time i would think there would be an issue with the pump, or maybe try to loop the pump lines, but it is very intermittent as mentioned.

I've never heard of hammer with open valves, just as they close (and very fast) and was wondering if anyone had any idea of my problem?

Thanks!
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:45 AM   #2

Might want to double check your model number as I don’t believe Redwood ever made a 34 RL model. Possibly a 3401? Water lines can hammer but it is not very common in Rv’s. You might be able to place pipe foam wrap/insulation around the pex lines that you can see and get too. Normally a common complaint is a vibration when the water pump runs. The braided lines in and out of the water pump instead of solid pex usually eliminates that.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 AM   #3

Yes it’s a 3401RL (I typically drop the “01” for ease of use). Ok thanks for the tip, so you would suggest replacing the pex lines with the steel braided lines on the inlet and outlet of the water pump then? My issue is much more of a loud and rapid banging/pulsing of the lines and reminds me of hammer, just not sure if it is or not.

Can I just connect a pair of 12” braided lines to the pex lines just before and after the pump as to avoid tracing the lines back to the source to replace the entire line?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:47 AM   #4

Stainless braided lines would be overkill. Only dealing with 45 to 65 psi max pressure anyway. Are you using a good pressure regulator and on city water supply or does this happen when using the water pump drawing from your fresh water tank ? By braided I meant the white polyester or nylon reinforced lines.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Its happening when using the water pump drawing from the fresh water tank, not sure if that changes the diagnosis at all?
Old 07-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #6

Yep, it sure does. Those water pumps are designed to wake the dead.
You can modify it by using some flex hose from the pump to the ridige PEX and you can try mounting the pump it's self on some more isolators.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #7

Banging

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack View Post
Have a 2018 34RL and have recently noticed intermittent banging / shaking water pipes when we are using the sink(s). This happens more when using the bathroom sink, but also occasionally with the kitchen sink. Also happens either with hot or cold water. The noise sounds very similar to water hammer, but I'm used to water hammer in our old house when the valve to our irrigation system slams shut thus causing the hammer in the pipes. This is the opposite scenario, when we are opening the taps to use the sinks.

I opened up the basement to see if I could visually trace any issues, but only found that all of the lines I could spot don't seem to be tightly connected to any supports and are free to shake around with the pump vibration. If it happened all the time i would think there would be an issue with the pump, or maybe try to loop the pump lines, but it is very intermittent as mentioned.

I've never heard of hammer with open valves, just as they close (and very fast) and was wondering if anyone had any idea of my problem?

Thanks!
Just buy some pipe insulation and put on Your lines around fresh water pump ... This will take care of your noise ... I had same issue ... I went ahead in addition to pump and insulated all the lines I could get to for winter time issues.
Brad
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:37 AM   #8

Great thanks for the suggestions guys, will take a crack at both in the coming days.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #9

get your self a RV water system accumulator , The pump runs less and cause less virbration. I cant recall if the kit comes with two 20" long flex lines, If it doesn't get that kit also. I got mine off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Pre-Pr...94358144&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59...90SVJQA4BB4BCA
Old 07-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #10

Tighten all the hose connections leading to the pump from the tank, make sure the filter cover is tight, and see that the valve from the winterizing hose is fully turned. You could have a tiny leak which is not large enough to stop the pump from drafting, but big enough to allow small air bubbles to get in to the lines before the pump. This is a long shot, but easy to check it out, and a free fix if this is the problem.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote