Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

Awning Issue

We recently had a strong wind kick up with no warning and both the main and living room slide awnings on our 2018 3401RL flexed a little too much, with the main awning flipping above the level of the roof.

Thankfully the arms didn't snap as I have seen in other posts while searching, however, the plastic pods at the ends of the awning now "jerk" in and out of place while operating. When extending or retracting, as the awning bar rotates, the plastic pods at the ends seem to almost pop in and out of their normal operating axis. The arms look slightly out of alignment, but unsure on if this is caused by the unusual pod movement or vise versa.

I have attempted to gently bend the arms back to being straight, but they simply return back to their position after I let go, and dont want to force the issue and break anything.

Has anyone experienced this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it, short of replacing parts until it is fixed?
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #2

I'd call your insurance agent & file claim.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #3

Thanks Texans, sounds like you’re thinking it’s just worth replacing the entire awning and assembly then? Everything still seems to work, it’s just slightly out of being flush/true with the end caps wobbling / jerking as they turn.

I also don’t want to cause more damage by continuing to use them though.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #4

Badly designed

those domestic awnings are a terrible design. I've had 2 support arms bend at the point where the hydraulic arm attaches to the extension brace. Finally I had welded extra support in the inside if the brace. No issues so far.
Andypar is offline   Reply With Quote