Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #1

2022 Redwood 4001LK- Battery Voltage Drop

Our batteries have shown 13.3 pretty consistently since we've had it. The last five days there's been a slight voltage drop. Today it reads 11.9. Nothing we've done is different. Our rig doesn't move and always plugged in to shore power. Any ideas what could be causing this.
Thanks in advance.
Mooseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #2

sounds like your converter has stopped charging! Don't let your battery get much lower or you run the risk of doing permanent damage. simple Walmart clip on 15A charger will be enough to keep things working for a few days while you're waiting for parts. 13.6Vdc is your typical voltage and any time your battery gets below 11.5Vdc you're at risk of doing damage to the battery, control boards in the heat, AC, refrigerator (if it's not a residential).

The breaker that feeds our charger is shut off and I use the Magnum energy inverter to charge the battery when it was in use. I have since replaced everything with a full solar charger and a 3000-watt inverter with five Battleborn battery's .

If you have a Magnum inverter its simple to turn on the charger in the program and leave the converter shut off at the breaker . I think the Magnum is a better charger then the progressive charger at the fuse panel anyways.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #3

So from what your saying this could be a breaker issue?
Old 07-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #4

could be the breaker that feeds it, could be wireing issue or it could be a failed charger. They do you solid state control board in the newer converter. Have you had any lighting storms in the last 2 days ? Your 2022 is built by Keystone , its nothing like my 2015 construction wise. The converter in mine is at the 120/12volt breacker/fuse box. Its part of the entire panel. They do sell replacement charger sections or you can disconnect the existing and wire in a deck mounted charger if you find that its failed (assuming you don't have a warranty claim via dealer)
Old 07-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #5

I'm going to check the breaker first and see where that leads me.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:15 AM   #6

It could be the typical cheapo batteries dealers installed may be toast already.
Have you checked the water level the batteries, topped off with distilled water?
Is the battery disconnect in the on/connected position?
Are the battery cables clean & secure?
Is the ground cable clean & tight against the frame?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #7

I checked the converter breaker and it wasn't tripped. There are what they call reverse battery fuses in the panel? don't know exactly what those are. Going to check water levels this morning.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #8

When my 2016 Redwood was new, I had an issue with my sealer/factory installed batteries... The cables were loose and the batteries were junk. No name deep cell. I disconnected and drove 3 hours, could NOT lower the jacks or deploy slides as the batteries were low...

I replaced them with Lifeline AGM's and checked EVERY connection and tightened where needed.

Not saying this is your problem, but something to think about when your issue is resolved for the future..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #9

going to check battery water levels this morning. This unit is stationary,won't move unless we sell it. On another rig we had it had a store/use button. Looking thru the owners manual which is garbage, there's no mention of a different setting when plugged into shore power. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseboy View Post
going to check battery water levels this morning. This unit is stationary,won't move unless we sell it. On another rig we had it had a store/use button. Looking thru the owners manual which is garbage, there's no mention of a different setting when plugged into shore power. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Unless due to cost savings RW has deleted them there's a big red knob near the batteries, that's the battery disconnect & if in the off/disconnect position you'll still have 12 volt from the converter when plugged into shore power but the batteries won't be getting charged.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #11

Check the water level of the batteries.
webberwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #12

We have a 36RL 2017 and had to replace the batteries with new ones a few years ago. I could not get into the battery boxes because the factory sealed them and up with sealant, could not check the water level and they were dry. We had the dealer change it so we can check the level now..
Old 07-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #13

Update

After batteries ran down low enough to not operate control panel and no A/C we spent the night at my brothers. Came back next day and fridge was fine. Checked the battery levels and both showed almost 14. Went inside,control panel working,put two A/C's on to see what happens. Neighbor called that evening and told batteries were at 13.3. That was a week ago and things are the same,13.3.
Is this a mystery or what?
Old 07-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #14

I would question if the solid-state board on the charger saw a surge from a lightning strike and possible needed to get powered down to re-boot . I know the newer chargers have control boards that can change charge profiles from Lead acid to Lithium. I had my solar charger do that 3 weeks ago from a lightning storm over night, powered it down and turn it back on it still working today so fingers crossed.