Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #1

Adjusting kingpin

I have a new 2017 F-350 4X4 with a short box and puc system. This F-350 rides higher than their previous model and has about an inch higher sides in the truck box as well. I purchased a new 18K (2900) Superglide Pullrite hitch which required OE Series Rail Adapters. The adapters raise the hitch up about 4-5 inches. I have a Trail-Air king pin, and today I installed the Pullrite system and hitched up and noted the front of the RW was high. The RW nose was indeed elevated, 14 ft at the height of A/C. Pullrite is in the process of developing a different adaptive system that will bring the height of the hitch down about 2-3 inches, however; it's too early in the production process for them to be available to the public at this time. So, I'm looking at the RW kingpin box. Has anyone had any experience with adjusting the kingpin box to accommodate different height truck boxes? Looks like the bolts and holes could bring the king pin up and therefore the nose of the RW down. My biggest concern in making the adjustment is that, there may not be enough clearance for the sides of the truck box when making turns. Like to hear comments.

Sorry the pics look a little dark.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uWG2pS+CSo6kKIVfCEYRyQ.jpg (177.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg fRfGZ1uiTqugwQMETUi6Sg.jpg (282.8 KB, 27 views)
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #2

Moryde switched mine from the Flex Air to the Moryde pin box and it lowered mine 4” just from that change.
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

It just amazes me that they keep raising the bed sides!! Why.... they know we are towing these RV's and a few extra inches will not make much difference in the cargo load.
Our 2011 Ford bed sides were about 2.5" lower then our current GMC.

Steve
Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I would raise the pinbox up 1 hole and hook up an check it for bed clearance. Does the hitch not have any ip or down adjustment
Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I would raise the pinbox up 1 hole and hook up an check it for bed clearance. Does the hitch not have any ip or down adjustment

I had about 5" of bed clearance with the way it was set with the rotoflex coupler , I had to be really carefull on uneven ground in and out of sites that dropped 8-10" would almost cause the bed rail to contact the belly in the pin box area. I have a Demco auto slide that if I had a manual slide could add some rail clearance if shifted back. But that's a different topic. You should be fine raiseing the pin box one hole . This should get you about 3 1/2" lower in the nose of the rig. Bed clearance should not be a issue with as high as the hitch is. You could also see if anyone else make a puck to ISR adapter. Pullrite system is VERY high the way they mount. Hate to even say this but maybe go back to standard rails if there isn't a solution . I raised my hitch 2" in the base of the demco but now the trailer rides nose high and doesn't pull as smooth so I am faced with a question there isn't a good answer...…. 13'6" max is OK but to raise the trailer 2" means Moryde IS and OR live with 5" of bed clearance and the damage to both truck and trailer possible in the future. My GMC SRW 3500 is stock except 19.5" tires , so I don't really have a odd combo.

Wish I could be more help but drop the hitch its a easy 45 min job and get a spotter to watch the bed raise in a parking lot go slow and get out and look .
Old 10-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1 View Post
I have a new 2017 F-350 4X4 with a short box and puc system. This F-350 rides higher than their previous model and has about an inch higher sides in the truck box as well. I purchased a new 18K (2900) Superglide Pullrite hitch which required OE Series Rail Adapters. The adapters raise the hitch up about 4-5 inches. I have a Trail-Air king pin, and today I installed the Pullrite system and hitched up and noted the front of the RW was high. The RW nose was indeed elevated, 14 ft at the height of A/C. Pullrite is in the process of developing a different adaptive system that will bring the height of the hitch down about 2-3 inches, however; it's too early in the production process for them to be available to the public at this time. So, I'm looking at the RW kingpin box. Has anyone had any experience with adjusting the kingpin box to accommodate different height truck boxes? Looks like the bolts and holes could bring the king pin up and therefore the nose of the RW down. My biggest concern in making the adjustment is that, there may not be enough clearance for the sides of the truck box when making turns. Like to hear comments.

Sorry the pics look a little dark.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...leid=201865276

looks much shorter then the pull rite adapter. Basically same height as ISR standard rails
Old 10-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...leid=201865276

looks much shorter then the pull rite adapter. Basically same height as ISR standard rails
Thanks. I took a good look at https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...leid=201865276, but it's not significantly lower, maybe an inch, plus I believe it's proprietary for Demco products. PullRite is in the process of offering a different adapter that will lower the hitch by about 3-4 inches, which is significant. Unfortunately, there have been delays in getting it into production, hopefully will be available at the end of Oct. I saw the prototype, in fact; it's on the PullRite website. It should be relatively easy to mount. I may still have to raise the pinbox or purchase a MorRyde pinbox as Highcountrybarry did.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

Off the subject, but I noticed you have the Tri glide hitch. Lippert changed my 2017 out to the flex air for no charge when I pointed out to them the potential trouble with that design. Mine chucked and hammered back and forth from day one.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks. I took a good look at https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...leid=201865276, but it's not significantly lower, maybe an inch, plus I believe it's proprietary for Demco products. PullRite is in the process of offering a different adapter that will lower the hitch by about 3-4 inches, which is significant. Unfortunately, there have been delays in getting it into production, hopefully will be available at the end of Oct. I saw the prototype, in fact; it's on the PullRite website. It should be relatively easy to mount. I may still have to raise the pinbox or purchase a MorRyde pinbox as Highcountrybarry did.
If you cant measure the location where the tabs go into your rails from the pull Rite , I will measure the Demco Rails in my truck tomorrow . as far as I know there rails are ISR. Industry standard rails.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #10

I have the Demco and I used it with my pullright.

I switched to the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and love it. I have all the elevation adjustments I need by lowering or raising the ball on the hitch.

Quote:
Rdelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #11

I had the exact setup with my 2017 Ram 3500. The dealer raised the pin box up as far as it would go, and I bought a set of short legs from PullRite. Between the two the RW was mostly level. Last summer I switched to PullRite's Super light hitch. There's an adapter that goes over the king pin, creating a ball mount. The receiving cup is atop an a-frame structure that only weighs 50 lbs!. The cup sits on an adjustable post, which I lowered to the half-way mark. Ended up with pretty much same level to RW. It sits on the same PullRite rails.

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote