Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Site Team

Insulation for Front Cap

Question for any of you that have done it - my project in the next couple of days is to pull the front closet apart and put a bunch of insulation in there.

Will one roll of 6" batt insulation do it or do I need two ? 2013 36 RL

Thanks all and have a Great Christmas !!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Question for any of you that have done it - my project in the next couple of days is to pull the front closet apart and put a bunch of insulation in there.

Will one roll of 6" batt insulation do it or do I need two ? 2013 36 RL

Thanks all and have a Great Christmas !!
Merry Christmas Vaughan,

I believe that I used 2 rolls...

After I re applied the foil wrap on the front cap, I then laid the old stuff back in.. I then measured the width of the opening and cut the new stuff to the same width and stacked it in there...
I will dig up some pics in a day or 2 once things settle down..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #3

When I insulated mine (one side so far) I left the existing foil and insulation in place and used some Cambridge Duct Support Webbing and somewhat pulled the existing insulation towards to closet wall and around the "shoe box", stapling the webbing to the wood studs. I then insulated one side of the front shelves using 1/2" silver sided foam board. Attached w/ some spray adhesive made for the Foam Board. I could only use 1/2" here due to the "shoe boxes" are somewhat close to the center shelves. I also installed the 1/2" form board to the top, bottom and back side of the "shoe box", but not the sides because it has to slide back into its framed out opening.
I then re-made one wall stud where the closet wall meets the side wall, since there was very little wood to attach the paneling or trim too - have had problems since day one w/ the trim not staying stapled to the wall.
Before installing the paneling, I installed 2" silver sided foam board between all the studs and sealed w/ Foil Tape - then reinstalled the wall paneling and trim w/ somewhat of a larger gauge staple. (I can not find a stapler that requires those very narrow gauge staples)
One warning about nail fillers, they will remove the printed pattern from the wall board and trim, so be careful. (I did a very small test, its a No Go!) Maybe need to order some from the factory or (trekwood.com)

Well I had a trip planned and ran out of time to disassemble to other side, but when I do, I know just how to get it done.

Results so far - insulated wall is a lot cooler than the side to be done.
Somewhere here, I think I posted pictures along the way - just search for them

Good luck and post some pictures of your progress.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

When I did mine this past summer I used 2 batts of Roxul (Rock Wool). Firmer than fibreglass and resistant to flame/fire. The OEM insulation was used and supported by the new rock wool. Easy to access through the shoe boxes with a small pushrod. It made a noticeable difference in the heat. Haven't been in too much cold yet but leaving Canada for warmer climes in about 2 weeks, so I'm hoping it makes the same difference in keeping the coach warm.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

I'm needing to do ours also, and was planning on using Roxul as it worked well on our class C. How thick did you use? 4" or 6"? I used 4" on the C, but split it to 2" on the 2 outboard sections. I want to use as thick as I can, but don't want to compress it and lose the insulating factor.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

I used the 4" and don't remember having to split it. It's firm enough that it can be moved into position without getting distorted or leaving gaps. If the space was greater than the 4" I used the existing insulation to fill any spaces.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

Sounds good to me. It had plenty of 4" left over if #1 son hasn't used it for anything. Thank.
As a side question, every time I post here, I end up getting email notifications when someone else posts. How can I stop that? It's rather annoying to me.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #8

[QUOTE= Aside question, every time I post here, I end up getting email notifications when someone else posts. How can I stop that? It's rather annoying to me.[/QUOTE]

Go to User CP, select "settings and options," then "edit options" then "Default Thread Subscription Mode" and select "no email notification" from the pull down menu.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #10

Read your post. Plan on insulation cap as well. How did your project go? Any advise?
Thanks
36rl
jvohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:37 AM   #11

Here's a link to how they went about insulating front and rear caps on the DRV's
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ion-13710.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote