Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
johnboytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,054
Bad fuel ?

Even though this is from a while back, this is why we ALWAYS save receipts...

http://www.trailerlife.com/camper-tr...d-faulty-fuel/
__________________
Ours: '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT followed closely by '14 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler.
Hers: '13 Explorer Sport - AWD 365hp twin turbo scooter!
Previous: '13 Ford F350 CC Platinum and '13 38GK
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
That's a shame.....I worry about that all the time. I always try to stay with the big fuel stops for the diesel hoping I don't get bad fuel but there aren't any guarantees.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,798
A couple of things to put in the spares tub in the bed of the truck (you DO HAVE one right ??).
Carry a spare fuel filter kit. Even if you have no intentions of changing it yourself, the chances that a mobile road service guy will have one to fit your pickup is slim.


Ford sells a really good fuel conditioner/additive. Surprisingly, the best prices on it I have found at the Dealer parts dept.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
Always, always, always...big name, and busy, fuel suppliers and extra filters. ALWAYS!
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
I don't know about the Dodges or Chevys but the Ford fuel filters are very easy to change. You simply have to carry the right size wrench and a container to catch the fuel. Ford also has a real easy water separator to drain.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,798
And if you see the fuel truck there filling tanks ~ think REALLY SERIOUSLY about fueling ....... When they fill tanks it tends to stir up any "icch" in the bottom of the underground tank.
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
And if you see the fuel truck there filling tanks ~ think REALLY SERIOUSLY about fueling ....... When they fill tanks it tends to stir up any "icch" in the bottom of the underground tank.


Yep! I made that mistake once down in Hilton Head. I made it about 60 miles before my fuel pump got filled with very fine sand. That was a costly and frustrating mistake.

It was the cheapest fuel around......just very expensive sand.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I don't know about the Dodges or Chevys but the Ford fuel filters are very easy to change. You simply have to carry the right size wrench and a container to catch the fuel. Ford also has a real easy water separator to drain.
How often to you check for water? I should probably learn where and when to do that.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
redwoodin with remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
How often to you check for water? I should probably learn where and when to do that.
Look inside your frame around the drivers door you will see a blue or white thumb wheel. That is your water drain on the primary filter. Your ford also will alert you if water is present.
Always cycle the ignition key on and off 3 times to purge air.
__________________
Brian and christi
2015 39mb with all the goodies
2014 F 350 platinum dullay
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
I never want to see the WIF light come on. I drain my bowl at least 1x/month.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
redwoodin with remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I never want to see the WIF light come on. I drain my bowl at least 1x/month.
That is always best, usually the light tells you that the filter just got contamination.
__________________
Brian and christi
2015 39mb with all the goodies
2014 F 350 platinum dullay
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
I change my filter every other oil change and I drain the water in the sumer about once a month. I don't worry about it in the winter.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Thanks guys. I'll have to hunt for it.

It may not be a huge issue for the dry Colorado because I have never done it for 15 years of diesels, but we may be travelling more with this truck.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
redwoodin with remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 126
I always keep a spare set of filters, on long trips 2 sets. Its a karma thing....if you have them every thing is fine, if you don't then there you are.

E BAY has best pricing, Dealer and parts stores have sticker shock.

In extreme cold, a quart of Power Service DIESEL911 is comfortable to have. Also 911 can be used to purge tank of water.

Keep fuel tank full as most water comes from condensation in the tank, ESPECIALLY PLASTIC TANKS during the seasonal temp changes.

A shot of algiecide quarterly will also prolong life of filters and fuel injection system.
__________________
Brian and christi
2015 39mb with all the goodies
2014 F 350 platinum dullay
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodin with remy View Post
I always keep a spare set of filters, on long trips 2 sets. Its a karma thing....if you have them every thing is fine, if you don't then there you are.

E BAY has best pricing, Dealer and parts stores have sticker shock.

In extreme cold, a quart of Power Service DIESEL911 is comfortable to have. Also 911 can be used to purge tank of water.

Keep fuel tank full as most water comes from condensation in the tank, ESPECIALLY PLASTIC TANKS during the seasonal temp changes.

A shot of algiecide quarterly will also prolong life of filters and fuel injection system.
I'm sending this good info to my truck maintenance guy... Todd. I will have to preface it as usual with "I know you already know this but..."
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Radio_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 448
Theresa, Todd probably already knows this as well, but for us Ram guys, Genos Garage for filters. Their package deals are really a great deal. I usually get the 1 year package for fuel, oil and air filters kits.
__________________
Skip & Patty
2013 Redwood 36RL
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CC DRW 4x4 (Bertha)
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
redwoodin with remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Great prices!!!! THANKS
Expecially on Primeguard

We owned a automotive garage till we sold out in 2012......YEA!!!!!...our stocking filter was Primeguard. Had zero problems and the price is oustanding. We did our own test where we cut apart 5 different FL 820 crossover brands and found that the Primeguard was same if not better than all brands compaired. I still stock Primeguard in my shop for all of my engines. From ag tractors, welders, cars, pickups, Bobcat mini ex and loaders, lawnmowers,, you get the point. I trust them, an that is comming from a Wix fan.
__________________
Brian and christi
2015 39mb with all the goodies
2014 F 350 platinum dullay
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
lwg
Senior Member
 
lwg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Great site, I really like that they can send you email reminders. Easy is good! Prices are great as well.

Now if only I could figure out an easy way to change all this myself while Fulltiming... Used to do all my own maintenance when we owned a house, been relying on Ford for it the past 1.5 years. So far they've done a good job EXCEPT the one time they didn't get a fuel line tightened after a fuel filter change. Fuel blew all over the engine while accelerating to get on the highway. Funny thing is, it happened nearly 1,000 miles AFTER they changed the filter. Weird. Ford covered everything though since they were the only people to touch the truck. I suppose that a major plus for the dealer doing all maintenance.

Ramble off!
__________________
2014 Redwood 38BR, Fulltiming
2013 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L 4x4 SRW, B&W Companion Hitch, Air Bags
lwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
redwoodin with remy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Great site, I really like that they can send you email reminders. Easy is good! Prices are great as well.

Now if only I could figure out an easy way to change all this myself while Fulltiming... Used to do all my own maintenance when we owned a house, been relying on Ford for it the past 1.5 years. So far they've done a good job EXCEPT the one time they didn't get a fuel line tightened after a fuel filter change. Fuel blew all over the engine while accelerating to get on the highway. Funny thing is, it happened nearly 1,000 miles AFTER they changed the filter. Weird. Ford covered everything though since they were the only people to touch the truck. I suppose that a major plus for the dealer doing all maintenance.

Ramble off!
Was this the top filter??
No experience on 6.7 yet but my 6.4 had problems with plastic caps after after about 3 filter changes. Also some techs dont change o-rings..a bad no no!
__________________
Brian and christi
2015 39mb with all the goodies
2014 F 350 platinum dullay
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×