Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Roaming Dogs

Hi all….I am Xena and this is my “little” sister Mona. We are responsible for two humans that are soon joining the RW community. We are kind of new to this family, recently taking over the responsibilities from a retired Rottweiler that was lucky enough to watch over the folks while they were living in Jamaica and Panama. Right now we live in Vegas and Dad works in Honduras. He is now ready to give up the expat life and take us on the road to see the US, Canada and spend more time with us.

We are all really looking forward to doing the full time thing and Mom & Dad have been researching our options for the new movable home for many months now. This btw, seems like forever if you are a dog. We wanted to help, and did try once, but Mona just got bored and ate the mouse. She is now banned from using the computer.

Last week they finalized everything and put the down on a new RW39MB. Since we will be full timing, quality was important to us and RW seemed to be a cost effective way to get that. We don’t mind a problem here and there, as Dad is pretty handy, but can’t deal with massive shop times once we switch to full timing. We need routine and a consistent place to sleep or we tend to misbehave.

We love the 39MB floor plan w/ Butler Pantry. Mona gives two thumbs up to anything that allows for extra food storage…..ok 4 paws, no thumbs. Btw, the new RW design of the butler pantry has removed the outer walls of ˝ bath. The dealer chased down photos from the factory on a Saturday so we knew what it looked like before signoff. Very cool looking and a lot more open feeling.

They did consider a MH for a while, but mom wasn’t keen on the idea so dad just has to get over his fear of backing up. We didn’t care either way as long as we could be close to them. I do like the idea of the tow truck cause I can see better and like to hang my tongue in the air. I think it will also be safer since Mona can often be “manners challenged” and is so big she might cause Dad problems while driving a motorhome. She doesn’t mean to be that way, it’s just that she thinks she is a lap dog and,,,,,,, well ,,,,,,Mastiff in the lap at 60mph, not cool!

Dad quits working next year as soon as the house sells, so we will part time until then. We plan on taking them out on short week to 10 day trips while they get the hang of taking care of us on the road. We can be a little demanding in that regard! Right now Dad works 4 weeks out/2 weeks in, so it is a good opportunity to get the bugs out and flatten our learning curve before making the final full time leap. Mom can take care of prepping the unit while Dad is working. He would quit work now but may as well take advantage of the situation until the house sells just in case any extra costs come up. Besides, extra cash never hurts when you are trying to feed a horse in a dog costume.

Anyway, we just wanted to introduce our parents to your community. I am sure Dad will eventually be active on this board. In the meantime I can proxy for him. He did spend a lot of time lurking on this site to understand the RW and its issues/non-issues before making the decision. He says there seems to be a lot of information available in this forum.

If any of you other full timing canines with human responsibilities have any advice we would love to hear from you. We are both new to this and still very young. We know we have a lot RV stuff to learn in order to help the folks out. Btw, I am a Boxer and Mona is an Italian Mastiff, but she prefers Cane Corso. I know seems fancy….whatever, she is big and slow and fun to play with so I like her. I do make fun of her a lot but she is really a very cool dog. Besides having a little muscle around for the light work never hurts. And yes we are aware; we are both big spoiled babies.

Christian and Jeff….Dad says thanks for all the advice and help. They can’t wait to get this rig in 10 weeks. OMG that’s like 16 months for us!
JahRomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #2

Hi Xena and Mona. I'm Zeus, great son of that odd Piper couple (aka Vaughan and Tracy). Welcome to the gang. Most of us 4-legged critters are fairly normal, but some of our handlers are a bit wacky and can get a bit rowdy, especially at these things they call "rallies." Hopefully we can meet up at one sometime and do what dogs do: sniff each other and wag tails.

Anyway, Mona, hope that mouse didn't cause any discomfort. Ouch.

If your parents - what are their names? - need anything, just ask. There's all kinds of useful stuff floating around the forum.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #3

Hi Zeus and gang. I am Xena and Mona's dad, Ron, and my wife is Modesta. Been reading the forum for quite some time and glad to be a part of this community. Seen how helpful everyone is and looking forward to meeting you folks on the road.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:04 AM   #4

If you can make it, sounds like the 2016 Redwood Rally in Shipshewana next August will be really great. We've missed the first few because of other plans, but reserving time for next year.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

Hello Zeus and Mona, and welcome to the Redwood family!

My name is Doodle the Doxie, and my sister Reeses and I are thrilled that you got to talk to our Mommy and Daddy. Many of the folks on here know them as Jeff the Redwood rep and Christian the Public Relations girl! They are so excited that you have joined us!

My sister and I are exactly 7lbs a piece and are pretty good travelers. Though we don't full-time, one thing my mommy always does when we're on the road long distances is pack towels in the back seat. Because when your spending lots of time on the road with us, the likelihood hood is that SOMEONE will step in mud, water, or something much more sinister...and then need to hop BACK into the car. Sometimes it's easier to towel us off before re-entry

Reeses is our household "chewer" and would probably get along really well with Mona! She is famous for sneaking trash out of the kitchen and hiding it under mommy's bed

We can't wait to hear about all of your adventures in your beautiful new Redwood. Be sure to send all of your puppy (and people) friends lots of pictures!

...and if you have any problems or need help, be sure to ask my mommy and daddy. I just live here and look cute.

Cheers!

Doodle the Doxie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doodle redwood.jpg (90.6 KB, 2 views)
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Zeus….good to meet you and the gang. From your name I assume you are on the larger size similar to us (or maybe Mom and Dad have a sense of humor).

Do you all get to stay in the RV alone? Mom bought some lightweight crates for the RV so I guess we will continue our normal home procedure. We are allowed to sleep anywhere (except the bed) while they are home, but always in the crate when they go away. Neither of us do real good when left to our own devices w/o supervision, so probably a good thing.

We have been practicing with the non-metal crates for a couple months now. The look really nice, are light and fold away much smaller and faster than the wire ones at home. I think they will work as long as we are not alone too long. Mona did bust out the zipper screen once but I think that was because she couldn’t see me. They put us much closer together now. Just wondering what the other kids get to do.

Doodle and Reese….good to meet you also. Great advice on the towel. We already have two for coming in and out of the house, although Mona’s is more like a blanket. It’s not that we accidently step in water or mud, it’s that we actively seek it out to play in it. I am probably guiltier than Mona, she just follows me. Remember I am a boxer so I have lots of energy and the only thing on my mind is playing and kissing.

I must warn you to be very careful when playing with Mona. Don’t worry she won’t eat you, although 7lbs is not a problem for her. If she lays on top of you though that is another story. She pinned me the other day and I could not move and I am 55 lbs. Good thing Mom was there with a cookie or I could be flat. Cookies always motivate Mona. Her priorities are a bit different than mine.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Can’t wait to meet up with ya’ll on the road.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

[QUOTE=ChristianM;53974]Hello Zeus and Mona, and welcome to the Redwood family!

Oopsie! Meant to say "Xena and Mona"...

Hello to Zeus too though!

My typing paws got distracted- movement outside the window might be a grasshopper.
I LOVE THOSE!!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

Squirrel!!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #9

I am Margie... My dad is pissed because I do more chores around the house , and I have 20 times the followers in Instagram !!!!

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

Talking

This thread is really going to the dogs.

Zeus says "hi." And he thinks Margie and Doodle are quite adorable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (170.3 KB, 6 views)