Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Roaming Dogs

Hi all….I am Xena and this is my “little” sister Mona. We are responsible for two humans that are soon joining the RW community. We are kind of new to this family, recently taking over the responsibilities from a retired Rottweiler that was lucky enough to watch over the folks while they were living in Jamaica and Panama. Right now we live in Vegas and Dad works in Honduras. He is now ready to give up the expat life and take us on the road to see the US, Canada and spend more time with us.

We are all really looking forward to doing the full time thing and Mom & Dad have been researching our options for the new movable home for many months now. This btw, seems like forever if you are a dog. We wanted to help, and did try once, but Mona just got bored and ate the mouse. She is now banned from using the computer.

Last week they finalized everything and put the down on a new RW39MB. Since we will be full timing, quality was important to us and RW seemed to be a cost effective way to get that. We don’t mind a problem here and there, as Dad is pretty handy, but can’t deal with massive shop times once we switch to full timing. We need routine and a consistent place to sleep or we tend to misbehave.

We love the 39MB floor plan w/ Butler Pantry. Mona gives two thumbs up to anything that allows for extra food storage…..ok 4 paws, no thumbs. Btw, the new RW design of the butler pantry has removed the outer walls of ½ bath. The dealer chased down photos from the factory on a Saturday so we knew what it looked like before signoff. Very cool looking and a lot more open feeling.

They did consider a MH for a while, but mom wasn’t keen on the idea so dad just has to get over his fear of backing up. We didn’t care either way as long as we could be close to them. I do like the idea of the tow truck cause I can see better and like to hang my tongue in the air. I think it will also be safer since Mona can often be “manners challenged” and is so big she might cause Dad problems while driving a motorhome. She doesn’t mean to be that way, it’s just that she thinks she is a lap dog and,,,,,,, well ,,,,,,Mastiff in the lap at 60mph, not cool!

Dad quits working next year as soon as the house sells, so we will part time until then. We plan on taking them out on short week to 10 day trips while they get the hang of taking care of us on the road. We can be a little demanding in that regard! Right now Dad works 4 weeks out/2 weeks in, so it is a good opportunity to get the bugs out and flatten our learning curve before making the final full time leap. Mom can take care of prepping the unit while Dad is working. He would quit work now but may as well take advantage of the situation until the house sells just in case any extra costs come up. Besides, extra cash never hurts when you are trying to feed a horse in a dog costume.

Anyway, we just wanted to introduce our parents to your community. I am sure Dad will eventually be active on this board. In the meantime I can proxy for him. He did spend a lot of time lurking on this site to understand the RW and its issues/non-issues before making the decision. He says there seems to be a lot of information available in this forum.

If any of you other full timing canines with human responsibilities have any advice we would love to hear from you. We are both new to this and still very young. We know we have a lot RV stuff to learn in order to help the folks out. Btw, I am a Boxer and Mona is an Italian Mastiff, but she prefers Cane Corso. I know seems fancy….whatever, she is big and slow and fun to play with so I like her. I do make fun of her a lot but she is really a very cool dog. Besides having a little muscle around for the light work never hurts. And yes we are aware; we are both big spoiled babies.

Christian and Jeff….Dad says thanks for all the advice and help. They can’t wait to get this rig in 10 weeks. OMG that’s like 16 months for us!
JahRomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #2

Hi Xena and Mona. I'm Zeus, great son of that odd Piper couple (aka Vaughan and Tracy). Welcome to the gang. Most of us 4-legged critters are fairly normal, but some of our handlers are a bit wacky and can get a bit rowdy, especially at these things they call "rallies." Hopefully we can meet up at one sometime and do what dogs do: sniff each other and wag tails.

Anyway, Mona, hope that mouse didn't cause any discomfort. Ouch.

If your parents - what are their names? - need anything, just ask. There's all kinds of useful stuff floating around the forum.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #3

Hi Zeus and gang. I am Xena and Mona's dad, Ron, and my wife is Modesta. Been reading the forum for quite some time and glad to be a part of this community. Seen how helpful everyone is and looking forward to meeting you folks on the road.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:04 AM   #4

If you can make it, sounds like the 2016 Redwood Rally in Shipshewana next August will be really great. We've missed the first few because of other plans, but reserving time for next year.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

Hello Zeus and Mona, and welcome to the Redwood family!

My name is Doodle the Doxie, and my sister Reeses and I are thrilled that you got to talk to our Mommy and Daddy. Many of the folks on here know them as Jeff the Redwood rep and Christian the Public Relations girl! They are so excited that you have joined us!

My sister and I are exactly 7lbs a piece and are pretty good travelers. Though we don't full-time, one thing my mommy always does when we're on the road long distances is pack towels in the back seat. Because when your spending lots of time on the road with us, the likelihood hood is that SOMEONE will step in mud, water, or something much more sinister...and then need to hop BACK into the car. Sometimes it's easier to towel us off before re-entry

Reeses is our household "chewer" and would probably get along really well with Mona! She is famous for sneaking trash out of the kitchen and hiding it under mommy's bed

We can't wait to hear about all of your adventures in your beautiful new Redwood. Be sure to send all of your puppy (and people) friends lots of pictures!

...and if you have any problems or need help, be sure to ask my mommy and daddy. I just live here and look cute.

Cheers!

Doodle the Doxie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doodle redwood.jpg (90.6 KB, 2 views)
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Zeus….good to meet you and the gang. From your name I assume you are on the larger size similar to us (or maybe Mom and Dad have a sense of humor).

Do you all get to stay in the RV alone? Mom bought some lightweight crates for the RV so I guess we will continue our normal home procedure. We are allowed to sleep anywhere (except the bed) while they are home, but always in the crate when they go away. Neither of us do real good when left to our own devices w/o supervision, so probably a good thing.

We have been practicing with the non-metal crates for a couple months now. The look really nice, are light and fold away much smaller and faster than the wire ones at home. I think they will work as long as we are not alone too long. Mona did bust out the zipper screen once but I think that was because she couldn’t see me. They put us much closer together now. Just wondering what the other kids get to do.

Doodle and Reese….good to meet you also. Great advice on the towel. We already have two for coming in and out of the house, although Mona’s is more like a blanket. It’s not that we accidently step in water or mud, it’s that we actively seek it out to play in it. I am probably guiltier than Mona, she just follows me. Remember I am a boxer so I have lots of energy and the only thing on my mind is playing and kissing.

I must warn you to be very careful when playing with Mona. Don’t worry she won’t eat you, although 7lbs is not a problem for her. If she lays on top of you though that is another story. She pinned me the other day and I could not move and I am 55 lbs. Good thing Mom was there with a cookie or I could be flat. Cookies always motivate Mona. Her priorities are a bit different than mine.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Can’t wait to meet up with ya’ll on the road.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

[QUOTE=ChristianM;53974]Hello Zeus and Mona, and welcome to the Redwood family!

Oopsie! Meant to say "Xena and Mona"...

Hello to Zeus too though!

My typing paws got distracted- movement outside the window might be a grasshopper.
I LOVE THOSE!!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

Squirrel!!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #9

I am Margie... My dad is pissed because I do more chores around the house , and I have 20 times the followers in Instagram !!!!

Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

Talking

This thread is really going to the dogs.

Zeus says "hi." And he thinks Margie and Doodle are quite adorable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (170.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Hi Xena and Mona, this is the best time for me to post this since my mom and dad are outside cleaning my trailer from our month long vacation. My name is Queso "like the Mexican dip mom eats with chips". Unfortunately we are not full time yet but one day I hope. Dad says I have something called ADD and mom says I'm just special whatever that means. I think I try to hard to do everything at once like my dad. I have a lot of energy and this trailer is big enough for me and 2 wonderful parents that make sure I am well taken care of. I have some advice that might help especially involve the beach since I love it there. Being a red heeler at about 50lbs I do tend to get in a lot of situations that frustrates my dad but makes my mom laugh . I like rabbits, do you? a squirrel or two isn't that bad either. I don't have anyone to play with since my dad says one is enough and waiting for 11 years to hit since that is what my vet says it will take for me to calm down. I love my vet, he has treats for me all the time but always keeps looking in my but, I don't like that. I love to bark and oh yeah I like rabbits a lot if I didn't say that already. hopefully one day I will have the chance to meet you 2, size don't matter to me if you can catch me. ooooh look a ball. ..... I missed that ball. remember to let mom and dad wash you off before you barreling in the trailer after you get back from the beach. If your parents like to BBQ like my dad remember to guard the pit with your life. I get treats when dad is cooking but don't let mom know, she says dad is fattening me up for thanksgiving whatever that means. theirs my kong......... I love my parents, I better let you go before they come back in and catch me on the couch licking the mouse again... I like rabbits more though do you? bye for now and hope to see you one day and enjoy your new redwood like I enjoy mine. Queso "AKA the BIG CHEESE"
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Queso - you sound like quite the entertainer!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

dad came in and grabbed the vacuum ...I have a little time again till he returns it. I can be the entertainer when dad allows me to....I know several tricks and love to play with frizbees. I like catching things and mom says I can run fast, you can ask the rabbit but I don't know were I put him. I dug up two holes but he must be magical because he can hide well. dad took out one of the recliners in the trailer and put my kennel their so I can sleep next to him while he watches tv. I like music and dad always turns on the radio for me to listen to while I nap before they take me for a walk. make sure you let mom and dad packs up your favorite toys when you go for your first trip, dad forgot my kong....and tennis ball but he made it up to me when he BBQed on the trip...I love steak, ribs, chicken, bacon, well I like anything dad cooks on the BBQ except onions, that was a mean trick dad played on me. he says I have a liquer problem in two different ways...I like beer but it cant be light beer shiner beer is my favorite...ooops I got to go I hear mom coming in.

Queso
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
Queso - you sound like quite the entertainer!
sorry Tracy for not saying hello and Hi Zeus you have a great name, hello millie, murphy and miles...I forgot to invite you as well I love to play a lot how about you. dad says the more the merry to enjoy.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #15

Mom told me not to get too excited and my expectations up as the other dogs might not be allowed to post here. I am so happy to hear from all of you. Mona is also getting excited! We didn’t know there were so many of you out there that had responsibilities for humans.

Margie….you get to do chores. Wow! Mom gets pissed also, but I think it’s because we cause her more chores. Still you get to ride that really cool thing. I had to ask Dad what it was. He said you mow lawns with it. We don’t have lawns in Vegas, well not real ones anyway. Good to meet you.

Queso…..we have got to party together, I like your style. Yes I love to chase balls, rocks, kongs or just about anything. Dad hits these little white balls with a stick and I go chase them and bring them back. He says it makes things easier for him and I get to chase, so win-win. Mona is not allowed to do that anymore since she just eats them. I have never seen a rabbit or a squirrel. They sound interesting, will they play with you? I do chase birds, but they cheat and fly. I can jump pretty high though and think I will get one someday.

I am not allowed to dig, it makes Mom really mad when I destroy her flowers. Both Mona and I like BarBQ. I tried some of Dads rum and thought it was good but Mom says I am not allowed. I still sneak it though when she isn’t looking. Boxers have really long tongues! We tried beer but we got all sneezy after so we don’t do that anymore. Coffee is really, really, really good, but also not allowed to have any of that. Something about too hyper, whatever that is. Anyway, great to meet you Queso, hopefully we get a BarBQ together sometime.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #16

Hope you moms & dads brought dooty bags 'cause it's getting pretty deep & I ain't cleaning it up!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I think you all should start writing children's books
Old 09-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #18

So I have a question for all of my fellow canines (and kitties).

My mom saw this really cute dog on Facebook, a stray that's in need of a home. She wants to adopt him. Dad says she's crazy.

I don't mind. See, I was all by my lonely old self when mom decided that I needed a companion. Why oh why she thought that companion should be a cat, I'll never know. I think it had something to do with her working and not be able to take care of a new dog. (I'm pretty independent.). Sooo anyway, she gets this cat, Millie. Millie is okay, but, yawn, boring. Typical diva female. Wants attention when she wants it.

Sooo mom gets the brilliant idea that Millie needs a playmate. She gets Milo, another cat. And then another cat, Murphy, came along.

Sadly, Milo got sick and went to feline heaven. That's when Miles, you guessed it - another cat- came into the picture.

Now mom's back to thinking about me, although I think she just thinks the other dog is cute and besides, the poor thing needs a home.

That would make 2 dogs and 3 cats...which is why dad thinks mom is nuts. Mom thinks dad is nuts because he wants to tow a jeep behind the RW like Atom Ant. Maybe they're both wacky. What can you expect though really? They're humans.

Do you think 5 is too much? 5 little itty bitty critters, one of whom, me, is really old.

I don't think it's a problem. Heck, we don't even count the cats as pets when we go to campgrounds. So really, it's only two, right?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #19

Margie and I are pleading the 5th on this one !!!!!!!
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #20

So dad saw my post last night and was going to ground me from the laptop, but when he went outside to give me the lecture I was doing my job, guarding the BBQ pit...I think he agrees with me as he gave me a big hug and a nice treat... not the onion like last time but a bacon wrapped jalapeño, yummy to my tummy but I drank the whole bowl of water. I guess I am allowed to use the laptop after all. Wow I wish I can have one more companion to play with on our trips but 5, I don't know what I would do with myself because I like how good I got it...I don't know if I would like to share my couch spot with another one or ohhhhh nooooo my treats would be divided between us. Ummm I guess I got it good to be the only lived one because I always find friends to play with and I am allowed to hang out with when we go on trips.

As for birds...I haven't caught a real one but dad bought me 3 dodo birds...I love them they squeak a lot and I love to throw them in the air and catch them...rabbits are real fun...my first toy was a rabbit that squeaked all over the place...one day I found a rabbit in my yard and wanted to say hi and ask why he was in my yard...he gave me lip and proceeded to run from me. I thought he wanted to play, but he didn't squeeze like my toy. I left him by the back door and mom grounded me, but dad laughed because it was missing parts... I love my dad but I found out my real job is to guard and make mom laugh, when we go for walks, I always find rabbits near by and mom holds on while I take her on a trip and sometimes she tells me to sick em...I think they are magical because they can really hide. Dad Is outside now getting the BBQ ready I guess it's time to go because I got a job to do

Good luck and wish you well on deciding on your next pet...one day I hope to meet all and will be on my best behavior so I am allowed to hang out with all you...man that smoke smells good

Queso