Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 AM   #1

Slide room scraping tile floor

2017 36RL
Dining slider is leaving scuff marks on the tile floor. Can the slider be adjusted? If so, how?
dave737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #2

Hello ...Sorry no one has stepped up to help with your question...These can be tough to solve.....first. its a known issue for some to have the dinning slide leak water..... getting in along the bottom edge of the floor in the slide....the edge of the plywood "wicks" the water in and swells the ply...increasing its thickness....and changing the shape profile of the slide floor....maybe this issue is causing the slide to contact the floor ?.....This is a "climbing " slide I believe .....travels up slightly when going in with a shoe / ski on both sides....check for any signs of damage under the slide floor (outside)...
Wes

2015 38RL/ 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

Thanks Wes, I will check that out. Do you know if those slides can be adjusted?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 PM   #4

Yes there is adjustment on the end of the rack and pinion arm (close to the rv skirting)....should be bolts for both vertical and horizontal adjustment....after working for years in the rv industry (rv tech) I would be hesitant to re-adjust any of these bolts without further investigation....I may have adjusted 1/2 a dozen units at the dealership...not many....and personally would be suspect of an issue else where....There is also some plastic / nylon wear blocks I believe inside the big tube that the smaller tube with the rack gear is attached....somewhere close to where the gear sprocket (that you can see) is located....Again I would have to have a look at ours....which is sitting out in -25 right now in a snow drift.
Question....when the slide is in(looking at the outside)....is the space between the rigid outer flange that closes up against the body of the trailer....even ? (same gap everywhere) ?....Specifically.....is it out at the bottom....and tight at the top ?
Is your slide used frequently.....are you on the move every few days ?.....How fussy are you to having your rig level before using the slide room ?.....some things to look at....Wes

2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:01 AM   #5

Thank Wes. RV is a 2017 36RL. I bought it used, and the original owner told me about the issue. I have only extended the slides about 10 times. I extended them once while hooked to the truck. Whoops! Luckily a friend told me to level the rig before using the slides. I will check the items you suggested and respond back with the results.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #6

You can buy items called "Slide Slickers" to place on the floor at each end of the slide prior to retracting. Allows the slide to slide on them vs your floor.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #7

I will check into those. Thanks everyone for your expertise. This is my first 5th wheel. Always loved the redwoods, and finally own one. I just hate going to a RV dealership, always feel like they are out to make a buck.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #8

That's because they are!! Any many much more than a Buck.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

Scuffing slide out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You can buy items called "Slide Slickers" to place on the floor at each end of the slide prior to retracting. Allows the slide to slide on them vs your floor.

I have found two types of slide-out sleds, (Lippert and AP Products) on Amazon. The Lippert has these little rubber nubs to secure it to the carpet, but some have complained it doesn't stick to vinyl, and therefore moves with the slide. Of course, our unit has vinyl floor tile, so I'm thinking the AP product may work better, because while the top is made of PVC, the base is rubber foam which might be more likely to stay in place with the movement of the slide. Who knows? AP Products 013-4300 Slide-Out Sled

To add to the commentary, we have a 2017 36RL that has left black marks on the floor since the day we purchased the unit new, so I don't think it's a result of moisture because there's no swelling or twisting, plus the marks are equal on both ends of the slide. The dealership has cleaned the marks, but didn't address the problem. The black marks from the skid plates of the slide have returned and now we can see notable wearing on the floor tile, as well. In addition, part of the skid plate tore off when extending the slide. At this point, we're taking it back to the dealership and see if some adjustment, as fore mentioned, could resolve the problem (without creating another, lol) and whether the skid plate (black vinyl) can be repaired or replaced.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #10

You should be able to extend the slides while attached to the truck. RV does not have to perfectly level to extend them. That being said if you are way out of level leaning to one side or the other I would hesitate. We have used out slides many times while connected with no issues.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #11

my 2020 had 4 slides making those marks..

I told the dealer about them and he said that there was a fix.... He called it slide corner protectors I think.... It was a black, plastic corner piece that was applied to the outside corner of the slide.

They jack up the slide, place these pieces on ( already glued), lower the slide, and put sealant on all edges...

It goes about 1" up the side, and about 4" across the bottom...

NO MORE marking the floor !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
my 2020 had 4 slides making those marks..

I told the dealer about them and he said that there was a fix.... He called it slide corner protectors I think.... It was a black, plastic corner piece that was applied to the outside corner of the slide.

They jack up the slide, place these pieces on ( already glued), lower the slide, and put sealant on all edges...

It goes about 1" up the side, and about 4" across the bottom...

NO MORE marking the floor !

Thanks. Your dealer is correct and that is exactly what has caused the black marks on our transition carpet and floor tile from day one. The black vinyl/plastic corner protectors are glued in place with a rubber cement that oozed out a bit or was just overly applied in the first place. When extending or retracting the slide, the black vinyl/plastic corners leave a black mark and the rubber cement makes it all permanent. It can be removed with acetone to some degree, however; the carpet just looks dirty in those areas, plus there is visual wear and scoring on the tile. I actually know what the black plastic corners look like, because I have the corner section that ripped off as we were extending the slide this last trip. Now all that said, the slide needs to have some adjustment upward and a new corner protector. I would think the slide still needs to rest on the floor at some point, which makes me think that the scuff marks will eventually return to some degree when traveling. Perhaps these slide-out/in sleds accessories may actually be required long term.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1 View Post
Thanks. Your dealer is correct and that is exactly what has caused the black marks on our transition carpet and floor tile from day one. The black vinyl/plastic corner protectors are glued in place with a rubber cement that oozed out a bit or was just overly applied in the first place. When extending or retracting the slide, the black vinyl/plastic corners leave a black mark and the rubber cement makes it all permanent. It can be removed with acetone to some degree, however; the carpet just looks dirty in those areas, plus there is visual wear and scoring on the tile. I actually know what the black plastic corners look like, because I have the corner section that ripped off as we were extending the slide this last trip. Now all that said, the slide needs to have some adjustment upward and a new corner protector. I would think the slide still needs to rest on the floor at some point, which makes me think that the scuff marks will eventually return to some degree when traveling. Perhaps these slide-out/in sleds accessories may actually be required long term.
Do not want to confuse you... These pieces have only a dab of adhesive in the corner to hold it, the main way of securing is staples.

The WHOLE reason for the need is the fact that the original pieces that are put on at the factory ONLY have glue. That glue is pressed out while moving in and out, as it oozes out, it collects dirt, thus marking te floor.

I used to carry a small bottle of Goo-Gone and it worked perfectly to remove every mark.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #14

We have the exact same issue on our 2015 36FB on the dining room slide. When slides are retracted in completely, there is about a 1.5” gap at the bottom VS the top which is flush. And we have the same marks on our floor.

We purchased this unit used - 2nd owner - unfortunately this wasn’t noted in the inspection we had done before buying it.

Definitely interested in understanding how to resolve.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
Yes there is adjustment on the end of the rack and pinion arm (close to the rv skirting)....should be bolts for both vertical and horizontal adjustment....after working for years in the rv industry (rv tech) I would be hesitant to re-adjust any of these bolts without further investigation....I may have adjusted 1/2 a dozen units at the dealership...not many....and personally would be suspect of an issue else where....There is also some plastic / nylon wear blocks I believe inside the big tube that the smaller tube with the rack gear is attached....somewhere close to where the gear sprocket (that you can see) is located....Again I would have to have a look at ours....which is sitting out in -25 right now in a snow drift.
Question....when the slide is in(looking at the outside)....is the space between the rigid outer flange that closes up against the body of the trailer....even ? (same gap everywhere) ?....Specifically.....is it out at the bottom....and tight at the top ?
Is your slide used frequently.....are you on the move every few days ?.....How fussy are you to having your rig level before using the slide room ?.....some things to look at....Wes

2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
libbywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #15

Slide out ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737 View Post
Thanks Wes, I will check that out. Do you know if those slides can be adjusted?
See tom39 post under slide underbelly trim replacement. part# that FR attributed to it on the invoice.
The PN# for the LH trim angle is 10-03354A and the PN# for the RH trim angle is 10-03356A. The price of each item was $10.52.
royg6677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #16

Where is that post located?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #17

slideout info

Quote:
[url=http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f34/rookwood-8288ss-slideout-underbelly-trim-replacement
Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Just now read your post. We have a 38rl and we had a problem with the dining room slide making marks in the tiles when we were traveling. We took it back to the dealer twice and in the end they gave us four plastic strips to put on the floor before bringing the slides in. That cured it. Hopefully you can get your situation taken care of.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #19

Rookwood 8288ss - Slideout underbelly trim replacement

Quote:
The thread is located on the forest river forum look under Rookwood 8288ss - Slideout underbelly trim replacement. tom39 is the one that posted. I tried to copy and past the threads location but this forum would nut allow me to post it.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #20

We have a 2021 that had issues with the slide(DR). When we were looking for a unit, we saw several 2020 4001LKs with marks from all 4 slides. While waiting for ours to be built, spoke with RW numerous times about the marks, they acknowledged an issue with slides leaving marks and swore it was fixed going forward(2/2020). Got our 4001LK 2 weeks ago and DR slide left marks. Comes in far enough to also leave scratch marks on the floor vent. RW coached dealer tech thru a small adjustment that was possible, so far no marks. Course we have a cut in the floor that has to be replaced from the slide but hopeful the overall issue is corrected. Unit has the newer slide floors to remove the plywood issue and the black caps.
Wolfyukon is offline   Reply With Quote