Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Adding DISH to Camper

We are considering adding a DISH Playmaker antenna, with a tripod for portability, a receiver and RF remote so can control from second (splitter) TV location for our camper. Would link to my dad’s DISH service for the $7month fee.

Any hints, suggestions or cautions? I’ve never had satellite service....
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #2

we like it very much

The only issue we have with it is the local stations. When you leave your area you leave the local channels behind. We DVR almost everything when home. So if you want access to major networks when traveling and change the "Home Base" to the zip code where you are camping, you'll have local access but the Hopper at home doesn't have access to the Local channels and stops recording your wife's favorite shows.

The PlayMaker is easy to setup, works perfectly and It's the best system I've seen. If I'm remembering correctly, when we had Direct TV the system was semi-automatic to setup, but we could get NBC, CBS...from east and west coast feeds so network television was possible at different time slots. Don't have those feeds with Dish.

2013 Redwood 36 FB adopted Nov 2015
2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Long bed
Always with our dogs - P.T. & Baylee
hmdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #3

We have a Winegard Pathway automatic satellite antennawith our Dish 211 receiver. While enroute, we’ll call dish with the new location zip code. They plug it in and we get the locals for where we are going to be. Upon arrival I put the antenna in the best place (50’ coax and use the SATToolzDish to locate the satellites). The Pathway gets its power through the coax, locates and locks onthe satellites, and in about 20” we have great HD TV. Very, very easy
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmdarwin View Post
The only issue we have with it is the local stations. When you leave your area you leave the local channels behind. We DVR almost everything when home. So if you want access to major networks when traveling and change the "Home Base" to the zip code where you are camping, you'll have local access but the Hopper at home doesn't have access to the Local channels and stops recording your wife's favorite shows.

The PlayMaker is easy to setup, works perfectly and It's the best system I've seen. If I'm remembering correctly, when we had Direct TV the system was semi-automatic to setup, but we could get NBC, CBS...from east and west coast feeds so network television was possible at different time slots. Don't have those feeds with Dish.
We have Dish with LA feeds with NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX programs. If I recall you can ask for LA or Atlanta networks, it costs about $10/month but you can shut it down anytime you are not traveling, same with the Dish box.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:18 PM   #5

Adding Dish

We have Dish Network with the Wineguard Travler system. Prior to that we had the Playmaker and the 2 receivers. We have never had a problem getting our local channels anywhere we went. It all depends o. What the main account is set up with.
Tami0939 is offline   Reply With Quote