Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Roof Leak

I have a new Sequoia purchased at Flagstaff AZ Camping World, and I have water dripping through the chandelier when it rains, the only thing above it is the front air conditioner, I sealed it better and still leaking, Camping World does not want to know anything (anyone thinking of making a purchase at the Flagstaff Camping World I do not advise it) has anyone had this problem? I may take it to Paul Everts they are a Redwood dealer.
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

I would jump on that a.s.a.p.! There's no roof penetration, that I know of, directly above the light so the water is more than likely coming through at another location on the roof that has been compromised. I'm assuming the unit is still under warranty.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Check the rubber boot that is on the coax cable at the roof antenna this has been a common spot for leaks.also all caulked joints etc. Water will travel in the roof and show up dripping in a different areas than where it is getting in
Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Check the rubber boot that is on the coax cable at the roof antenna this has been a common spot for leaks.also all caulked joints etc. Water will travel in the roof and show up dripping in a different areas than where it is getting in
I agree with Shane. The boot has been a problem for many. I had the same problem after I purchase mine. It wasn't leaking from the light but the boot would be my first check, and it is easily overlooked. I put the boot back down on the antenna and then silicone caulked it so it doesn't lift up again. On my prior SOB fifth wheel I had a leak at the living area vent. I could never see where it was coming in from on the roof. I couldn't see any cracks in the caulking so I used Eterna-bond tape around the vent and the problem was solved forever! Good luck, keep us posted on what you find.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 AM   #5

Thanks Guys, I will check the antenna cable first, sounds logical and it is close to the light, it is under warranty but even Redwood corporate contacted Camping World to tell them to fix it, with no luck, I even bought a 5 year extended warranty for a total of 7 years of useless warranty
Old 07-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #6

Well Spindrift, I sealed the cable boot although it didn't look too bad, but I did find that where the tech told me he sealed some problem areas on the front cap, he must have been drinking while he was doing it, there were more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese, I am very disappointed with Camping World at this point, and none of my warranty work would be getting done if Redwood Corporate didn't tell them to get it done. I will know next rain storm if my work paid off, and I thank everyone for the advise
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #7

Curious as to what type of seal you used for the repairs. On an Alpha roof you should use Alpha self leveling seal. Lots of other kinds don't stick or work too well. As far as the antenna boot, any silicone type rubber caulk would have been fine as it was aluminum to plastic.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
Well Spindrift, I sealed the cable boot although it didn't look too bad, but I did find that where the tech told me he sealed some problem areas on the front cap, he must have been drinking while he was doing it, there were more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese, I am very disappointed with Camping World at this point, and none of my warranty work would be getting done if Redwood Corporate didn't tell them to get it done. I will know next rain storm if my work paid off, and I thank everyone for the advise
If you still have an issue with it I would put a strip of EternaBond tape all the way across the front where the cap meets the roof. Or you can depend on someone else to screw it up again.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
If you still have an issue with it I would put a strip of EternaBond tape all the way across the front where the cap meets the roof. Or you can depend on someone else to screw it up again.
That is what I did.. That is the best advise!! Every seam in the roof!!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
That is what I did.. That is the best advise!! Every seam in the roof!!
Please keep us posted on the status, if the eternabond worked or not. I found it to be very dependable!!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 AM   #11
Site Team

I also did the Eternabond on both roof seams - works great.
Many thanks to Ford Truck Guy. !!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

I had an RV tech tell me that you should run a bead of caulk along the edges of the Eternabond tape. Has anyone made this repair in that fashion?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I also did the Eternabond on both roof seams - works great.
Many thanks to Ford Truck Guy. !!

Your welcome . . .

I also put a strip across both the front and rear caps where they meet the roofline... To me , it was cheap insurance.....I did it on my last fiver , and will probably do it on my next one also.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I had an RV tech tell me that you should run a bead of caulk along the edges of the Eternabond tape. Has anyone made this repair in that fashion?
I saw that somewhere, I think on a video using eternabond for repair. It may have been on the eternabond website. I have not used eternabond on my cap seams yet but plan on doing that and caulking the seams as well.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #15

I used the self leveling sealer, which is what was used in the first place, only they missed the holes!! Anyway I have only had it a month, the dealer should be doing this work, if they only knew how.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #16

I feel your pain. It's amazing the different level of service you can get from a Camping World. Recently, one of our AC units took a dump while we were in Nashville...and it was warm and sticky. We got over there first thing in the morning and they snuck us right in; in front of others who had prior appointments.
They provided outstanding service and I'm still grateful.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
I used the self leveling sealer, which is what was used in the first place, only they missed the holes!! Anyway I have only had it a month, the dealer should be doing this work, if they only knew how.
If you wait for a dealer to solve all your issues you are mistaken. Even after they say they fixed it, you will probably have to redo it to fix it properly. No one, and I mean no one will do the quality work that you will do for yourself.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:21 AM   #18

The Camping World I went to, which is the only one in my area, used to have great techs, that was one of the reasons I went there to buy, but unfortunately we have long winters so the techs go south to follow the work, and none of those good ones came back, the dealers in Phoenix are much larger, with more work.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Your welcome . . .

I also put a strip across both the front and rear caps where they meet the roofline... To me , it was cheap insurance.....I did it on my last fiver , and will probably do it on my next one also.....
Did you remove any of the caulking before applying the eternabond or did you just apply it over the caulking at the roofline where cap and roof meet?
Old 07-30-2016, 03:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired educators View Post
Did you remove any of the caulking before applying the eternabond or did you just apply it over the caulking at the roofline where cap and roof meet?

I sprayed the eternabond cleaner, and applied it directly on top of everything... I made sure to keep it heavier towards the roof , and not the cap... After hearing about Robs ordeal last year , I figured that would help with stopping any air getting in...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote