Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 19
Roof Leak

I have a new Sequoia purchased at Flagstaff AZ Camping World, and I have water dripping through the chandelier when it rains, the only thing above it is the front air conditioner, I sealed it better and still leaking, Camping World does not want to know anything (anyone thinking of making a purchase at the Flagstaff Camping World I do not advise it) has anyone had this problem? I may take it to Paul Everts they are a Redwood dealer.
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
I would jump on that a.s.a.p.! There's no roof penetration, that I know of, directly above the light so the water is more than likely coming through at another location on the roof that has been compromised. I'm assuming the unit is still under warranty.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Shane Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,955
Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Check the rubber boot that is on the coax cable at the roof antenna this has been a common spot for leaks.also all caulked joints etc. Water will travel in the roof and show up dripping in a different areas than where it is getting in
__________________
2015 36RL pushing a 2015 Denali
Shane Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Check the rubber boot that is on the coax cable at the roof antenna this has been a common spot for leaks.also all caulked joints etc. Water will travel in the roof and show up dripping in a different areas than where it is getting in
I agree with Shane. The boot has been a problem for many. I had the same problem after I purchase mine. It wasn't leaking from the light but the boot would be my first check, and it is easily overlooked. I put the boot back down on the antenna and then silicone caulked it so it doesn't lift up again. On my prior SOB fifth wheel I had a leak at the living area vent. I could never see where it was coming in from on the roof. I couldn't see any cracks in the caulking so I used Eterna-bond tape around the vent and the problem was solved forever! Good luck, keep us posted on what you find.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 19
Thanks Guys, I will check the antenna cable first, sounds logical and it is close to the light, it is under warranty but even Redwood corporate contacted Camping World to tell them to fix it, with no luck, I even bought a 5 year extended warranty for a total of 7 years of useless warranty
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:53 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 19
Well Spindrift, I sealed the cable boot although it didn't look too bad, but I did find that where the tech told me he sealed some problem areas on the front cap, he must have been drinking while he was doing it, there were more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese, I am very disappointed with Camping World at this point, and none of my warranty work would be getting done if Redwood Corporate didn't tell them to get it done. I will know next rain storm if my work paid off, and I thank everyone for the advise
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
r time soon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 621
Curious as to what type of seal you used for the repairs. On an Alpha roof you should use Alpha self leveling seal. Lots of other kinds don't stick or work too well. As far as the antenna boot, any silicone type rubber caulk would have been fine as it was aluminum to plastic.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
Well Spindrift, I sealed the cable boot although it didn't look too bad, but I did find that where the tech told me he sealed some problem areas on the front cap, he must have been drinking while he was doing it, there were more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese, I am very disappointed with Camping World at this point, and none of my warranty work would be getting done if Redwood Corporate didn't tell them to get it done. I will know next rain storm if my work paid off, and I thank everyone for the advise
If you still have an issue with it I would put a strip of EternaBond tape all the way across the front where the cap meets the roof. Or you can depend on someone else to screw it up again.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
If you still have an issue with it I would put a strip of EternaBond tape all the way across the front where the cap meets the roof. Or you can depend on someone else to screw it up again.
That is what I did.. That is the best advise!! Every seam in the roof!!
__________________
2013 Redwood 36RL. 2005 Dodge 3500 DRW 4X4. 6 speed manual transmission. South Bend dual disc clutch.
Tomkidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
That is what I did.. That is the best advise!! Every seam in the roof!!
Please keep us posted on the status, if the eternabond worked or not. I found it to be very dependable!!!!
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #11
Site Team
 
piper guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,841
I also did the Eternabond on both roof seams - works great.
Many thanks to Ford Truck Guy. !!
__________________
Vaughan & Tracy 2013 RW 36RL, 2013 F350 DRW CC, 2016 Focus. MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox, disc brakes, Comfort Ride Hitch. "Life is to be embraced, Grab it with both arms ! "
piper guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
I had an RV tech tell me that you should run a bead of caulk along the edges of the Eternabond tape. Has anyone made this repair in that fashion?
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
I also did the Eternabond on both roof seams - works great.
Many thanks to Ford Truck Guy. !!

Your welcome . . .

I also put a strip across both the front and rear caps where they meet the roofline... To me , it was cheap insurance.....I did it on my last fiver , and will probably do it on my next one also.....
__________________
2015 F-350
2020 3991RD with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I had an RV tech tell me that you should run a bead of caulk along the edges of the Eternabond tape. Has anyone made this repair in that fashion?
I saw that somewhere, I think on a video using eternabond for repair. It may have been on the eternabond website. I have not used eternabond on my cap seams yet but plan on doing that and caulking the seams as well.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 19
I used the self leveling sealer, which is what was used in the first place, only they missed the holes!! Anyway I have only had it a month, the dealer should be doing this work, if they only knew how.
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
I feel your pain. It's amazing the different level of service you can get from a Camping World. Recently, one of our AC units took a dump while we were in Nashville...and it was warm and sticky. We got over there first thing in the morning and they snuck us right in; in front of others who had prior appointments.
They provided outstanding service and I'm still grateful.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
I used the self leveling sealer, which is what was used in the first place, only they missed the holes!! Anyway I have only had it a month, the dealer should be doing this work, if they only knew how.
If you wait for a dealer to solve all your issues you are mistaken. Even after they say they fixed it, you will probably have to redo it to fix it properly. No one, and I mean no one will do the quality work that you will do for yourself.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 19
The Camping World I went to, which is the only one in my area, used to have great techs, that was one of the reasons I went there to buy, but unfortunately we have long winters so the techs go south to follow the work, and none of those good ones came back, the dealers in Phoenix are much larger, with more work.
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:07 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Retired educators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Your welcome . . .

I also put a strip across both the front and rear caps where they meet the roofline... To me , it was cheap insurance.....I did it on my last fiver , and will probably do it on my next one also.....
Did you remove any of the caulking before applying the eternabond or did you just apply it over the caulking at the roofline where cap and roof meet?
__________________
2016 38 RL, tan and burgundy, H rated tires on 17.5 rims, disc brakes, washer and dryer, residential refrigerator, MorRyde IS, 2015 GMC 3500 HD Denali,Duramax DRW, 4x4, Firestone air bags
Retired educators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Ford truck guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired educators View Post
Did you remove any of the caulking before applying the eternabond or did you just apply it over the caulking at the roofline where cap and roof meet?

I sprayed the eternabond cleaner, and applied it directly on top of everything... I made sure to keep it heavier towards the roof , and not the cap... After hearing about Robs ordeal last year , I figured that would help with stopping any air getting in...
__________________
2015 F-350
2020 3991RD with-
17.5 Goodyear 114's , Titan Disc brakes, MorRyde 8K IS, Onan 6.5..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×