Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #11

OK, just to give some real world numbers, went to the CAT Scale this AM, our RL is putting 3900 Lbs on the TV which is still under the TV gross, but way over any 3/4 ton and most likely over a SRW 1 ton. Sure am glad we switched to a dually back in 05 and got our 11 even before we thought about switching from a Montana to a Redwood.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Dave,

I have no problem with the ride of my F350 diesel dually with the trailer hooked up... everything is nice and level and the air glide hitch is amazing. The truck rides like an apple cart WITHOUT the trailer because I factory ordered it with the heavy duty front and rear spring upgrade. Will air bags soften the ride without the trailer? If not, I don't see the point for my set-up.

I don't have the air glide hitch but my problem was that the truck had a lot of spring travel while going over large dips or bumps on the road. My wife like to read while riding and it was kind of tough on her. Now with the air bags pumped up to 95 the truck rides great even when FULL of water. We really couldn't believe the difference.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #13

We to also put Firestone Ride Rite Airbags on our F450 Dually. Rides great with 45 lbs in them.Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Once you know your truck's payload capacity will determine how much pin weight you'll be able to handle.
You can find the GVWR of your truck on a sticker on the driver's door. Once you know this and the weight of your truck with your wife aboard, a full tank of fuel and loaded the way it would be when you travel you'll be able to determine how much payload capacity you have left. This available payload capacity will tell you how much pin weight you'll be able to safely handle.

Example: If your GVWR is 10,800 lbs and your actual truck weight is 7,500 lbs you'll be able to handle a pin weight of 3300 lbs.

Here's a link to Ford's Super Duty Payload Capacity chart:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

I don't know the pin weights of a Dutchman Infinity but my Redwood 36FL has a pin weight of 3400 lbs.

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

OK, just to give some real world numbers, went to the CAT Scale this AM, our RL is putting 3900 Lbs on the TV which is still under the TV gross, but way over any 3/4 ton and most likely over a SRW 1 ton. Sure am glad we switched to a dually back in 05 and got our 11 even before we thought about switching from a Montana to a Redwood.
I will agree! Depending on the trailer and the equipment that is ordered with the extras normally carried, a Redwood can be pulled with a SRW F350 or a GM 1 ton. But once you pull it with a dually you'll never go back to a SRW again. I found that I was overloading the tires more than anything else. With "E" rated tires I was limited to 7500 lbs on the drive axle and I was getting pretty close to that.

Keep in mind as I had said in my previous post, I also carry around an extra 1000 lbs which included my hitch, extra fuel tank, generator and washer/dryer.