Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

To all Redwood owners|

My wife and I (now with both kids in college and freeeee) are about 24 hours away from making a decision between a 2013 Dutchman Infinity loaded, and a Redwood 36RL retailing at 110k. The infinity weight is 1000lbs less. I own a 2012 ford f-350 crew cab, short wheel base, 6.7l diesel , with single rear axles and 4x4. I believe this redwood coach will come in at dry weight around 13300 lbs. I have a gross axle weight rating of 16k.

Question: which one should I choose, I am not trading trucks?

Do I need a trailer air hitch with shock absorb?

Thank you from the newbie.
Redalertsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

All I can tell you is that our 36RL left the factory at 13700 which didn't include any propane, our combo washer/dryer, or sat dish. All of which would put our unit at about 14K before we've put anything in it. Headed to the CAT Scales in the AM before heading out for the weekend, then I'll know what I'm carrying on the TV. With your short wheel base and SRW the 36RL will really be pushing the limits (my guess, until I get the numbers I can't be sure).
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

My 2013 36RL weighed in at over 14,200 lbs with full propane, water, sat dish on roof, and a few new lawn chairs in the basement. This includes the dishwasher and a washer & dryer in the coach. Once I loaded everything into it for full-timing, I am pushing just over 16,000 lbs. GVWR of the coach is 16,500 lbs. I tow with a Ram 3500HD SRW, crew cab, long bed with the Cummins and yes the truck tows the load. I am in the great debate as to trade the truck in this weekend for a dually, or to put airbags on the current truck. IF I stay with the current truck, bags are a must as the rear end sag is too much for me. I am comfortable with the SRW, especially if I have the airbags installed, as while I do full-time I am in 1 or 2 locations during the spring/summer/fall and then will be heading to a southern location for winter. If I were on the road 365 days a year, I would buy the dually without reservation.

I wont knock the Dutchman as I am not familiar with their product. I will say that my interaction with the senior managers of Redwood this spring are the reason for not ordering a new Montana Big Sky and instead ordered my Redwood. At the end of the day, it is you that has to be happy with your purchase. I suggest buying the coach that appeals best to you and fits your lifestyle and needs.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

Thank you both. Man a tough decision as I do not want, nor need to buy a new truck! we are not full-timers, but will use the coach frequently for tail-gating, vacations, weekend
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Just took delivery on our 36rl yesterday. We didn't need to buy a new truck either. We had a relatively new GMC 3/4 ton diesel, short bed, cab+, 4 x 4. We knew that our decision to buy a RW would mean a new truck -- bought a 2012 GMC, 1 ton, diesel, long bed, crew cab,drw,4 x 4. We're really glad we did even though it was a real stretch We're planning to full time starting next month. Our coach weighs oveer 14,000 from the factory -- no water, personal belongings, etc. Haven't pulled it yet (they moved us to a delivery site to spend a few days making sure everything's OK and doing some tweeking, but from other posts, (and the dealer -- Lazydays in FL) we knew the 3/4 ton wouldn't cut it.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Our came in at 14,130 dry, from the factory. I would get the trailer air ride and install air bags with the compressure system.

Lillyputz
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Site Team

I have some experience in this because I had a 2012 F350 4x4 single rear wheel. The truck pulled it great but I ended up with a problem because I also carried an extra fuel tank in the bed and I loaded the trailer with options including the generator.

The F350 is rated for approximately 4000 lbs of cargo and my unit with the generator came from the factory at 13870 (plus washer and dryer). When I put my rig on the scales with 1/3 water and both my fuel tanks filled (along with all my gear ). I was at 4050 lbs but that was with the extra weight from the extra fuel tank (500 lbs), the generator and the 40 lb propane tanks. All together I figured I had close to 1000 lbs of extra weight that you may not have.

With all that said I can't say enough about the air bags and how well they help these trucks ride so I would recommend them on every truck pulling a trailer. I put them on my dually which was way under weight and it smoothed out the ride.

Good luck

Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Great advice, thank you
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Dave,

I have no problem with the ride of my F350 diesel dually with the trailer hooked up... everything is nice and level and the air glide hitch is amazing. The truck rides like an apple cart WITHOUT the trailer because I factory ordered it with the heavy duty front and rear spring upgrade. Will air bags soften the ride without the trailer? If not, I don't see the point for my set-up.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #10

I would go with the Redwood. I have the same truck as you do with the 6.5 box. I have a slide hitch and I went for the trail-air pin box. Smooths out the ride. The Redwood is a really nice trailer. I am also going to pull my 14 ft Lund with 25 Honda behind I should be under the 77ft limit in Ontario but not all states allow you to tow a second trailer. Have fun!

Rick and Kerry

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #11

OK, just to give some real world numbers, went to the CAT Scale this AM, our RL is putting 3900 Lbs on the TV which is still under the TV gross, but way over any 3/4 ton and most likely over a SRW 1 ton. Sure am glad we switched to a dually back in 05 and got our 11 even before we thought about switching from a Montana to a Redwood.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Dave,

I have no problem with the ride of my F350 diesel dually with the trailer hooked up... everything is nice and level and the air glide hitch is amazing. The truck rides like an apple cart WITHOUT the trailer because I factory ordered it with the heavy duty front and rear spring upgrade. Will air bags soften the ride without the trailer? If not, I don't see the point for my set-up.

I don't have the air glide hitch but my problem was that the truck had a lot of spring travel while going over large dips or bumps on the road. My wife like to read while riding and it was kind of tough on her. Now with the air bags pumped up to 95 the truck rides great even when FULL of water. We really couldn't believe the difference.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #13

We to also put Firestone Ride Rite Airbags on our F450 Dually. Rides great with 45 lbs in them.Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

Once you know your truck's payload capacity will determine how much pin weight you'll be able to handle.
You can find the GVWR of your truck on a sticker on the driver's door. Once you know this and the weight of your truck with your wife aboard, a full tank of fuel and loaded the way it would be when you travel you'll be able to determine how much payload capacity you have left. This available payload capacity will tell you how much pin weight you'll be able to safely handle.

Example: If your GVWR is 10,800 lbs and your actual truck weight is 7,500 lbs you'll be able to handle a pin weight of 3300 lbs.

Here's a link to Ford's Super Duty Payload Capacity chart:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

I don't know the pin weights of a Dutchman Infinity but my Redwood 36FL has a pin weight of 3400 lbs.

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

OK, just to give some real world numbers, went to the CAT Scale this AM, our RL is putting 3900 Lbs on the TV which is still under the TV gross, but way over any 3/4 ton and most likely over a SRW 1 ton. Sure am glad we switched to a dually back in 05 and got our 11 even before we thought about switching from a Montana to a Redwood.
I will agree! Depending on the trailer and the equipment that is ordered with the extras normally carried, a Redwood can be pulled with a SRW F350 or a GM 1 ton. But once you pull it with a dually you'll never go back to a SRW again. I found that I was overloading the tires more than anything else. With "E" rated tires I was limited to 7500 lbs on the drive axle and I was getting pretty close to that.

Keep in mind as I had said in my previous post, I also carry around an extra 1000 lbs which included my hitch, extra fuel tank, generator and washer/dryer.