Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Day/Night Slow Rise Shades

The day (black) slow rise shade will no longer stay down. Any suggestions on how I remove the valance and/or twin shade brackets? I don't see any brackets for the valance and can't see how the shades are held in.

Is there any adjustment that can be made to correct this?

My trip on I40 (bridge joints) beat both the truck and RV up, let alone the wife and I.

Thanks,
Gene
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

There is adjustments on both day/night shades on opposite ends of the shades. They are manufactured by Irvine Shade & Door, might look it up & give them a call or watch a u tube video.
As to removing the valances it kind of hide & seek with screws holding them up, couple of mine have brackets on the top underside with black screws making it very difficult to see, also with screws into the fabric on the bottom corners. While you have them down if you criss cross 2 plastic zip ties onto to each bracket holding the shades up you'll never have worry about them falling going over those bridge joints, I've done this to all the shades in ours.
I've told the DW several times while working on rvs that if I were 3' tall, 6' long arms with 2 more joints in them & an eyeball I could pull out to see around/under stuff I'd be the perfect rv repairman. Would be nice if the folks building them would use a little common sense & think about the poor guy that will work on it after it's built.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
There is adjustments on both day/night shades on opposite ends of the shades. They are manufactured by Irvine Shade & Door, might look it up & give them a call or watch a u tube video.
As to removing the valances it kind of hide & seek with screws holding them up, couple of mine have brackets on the top underside with black screws making it very difficult to see, also with screws into the fabric on the bottom corners. While you have them down if you criss cross 2 plastic zip ties onto to each bracket holding the shades up you'll never have worry about them falling going over those bridge joints, I've done this to all the shades in ours.
I've told the DW several times while working on rvs that if I were 3' tall, 6' long arms with 2 more joints in them & an eyeball I could pull out to see around/under stuff I'd be the perfect rv repairman. Would be nice if the folks building them would use a little common sense & think about the poor guy that will work on it after it's built.
Danny,

Do I need to take the valance off first or can the shades be "snapped" out (and how?) leaving the valance attached?

I'm not at the RV now but will be in the next couple of days depending on the hurricane impact.

Thanks,

Gene
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post

Danny, you sure have that right. The Redwood people that designed and/or built these coaches gave no thought as to how they will get serviced by 75 year old retired engineer/farm boys like me!!! It would be very good training if they were all forced to live in their designs for six months before being allowed to release their designs to production.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gford10480 View Post
Danny,

Do I need to take the valance off first or can the shades be "snapped" out (and how?) leaving the valance attached?

I'm not at the RV now but will be in the next couple of days depending on the hurricane impact.

Thanks,

Gene
You will need to locate the screws first and remove the valance. Once that is done, you will see how the shade is mounted.

Once you have made all the proper adjustments, before hanging the valance, do yourself a favor and take 4 black zip ties and place 2 on each side in an X pattern around the frame and shade mount.
You will thank us later for doing that now...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #6

I've had nothing but frustration at the shades in our coach. Some will raise and lower just fine, but others will only go 2/3 of the way up. I've tried to "adjust" the knurled knobs, but nothing seems to help. I've tried to rewrap the bitter end around the roller a couple of times, but that doesn't help either. I do like the two shades per window, but wonder how I can make the blackout shades go all the way up.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gford10480 View Post
Danny,

Thanks,

Gene
You shouldn't have to remove the valances to adjust the shades, but I would if for no other reason but to put the zip ties on.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #8

Before I learned about the zip ties, I had 2 of the brackets fail, damaging my table and one of the counters next to my TV. I'm 6'7", and it really is tough for this 71 year old body to get in a semi-comfortable position to remove the valances. Should your brackets fail, there is a different hole space on the new ones.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #9

If you look up under the valance you will see where it screws onto usually L brackets. We couldn't find anyone who could repair the shade to make it go up again, so just replaced it with a honeycomb duet blind. The dealer we bought our unit from was supposed to replace it but of course never did.
Irrigation is offline   Reply With Quote