Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Resource Webpage

Wow, if only Redwood would do this - they would be ahead of their game! Hats off to Winnebago! From electrical diagrams to service tips! Very handsome..

Winnebago Industries
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Team

The Winnebago company is very good at keeping everything very consistent and they work with their owners. Each cabinet door has it's own part number so they can be easily replaced regardless of their age. Overall they put out a pretty solid unit but there's been several complaints about wood quality in the cabinets.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #3

I just figured the drawings and schematics would go a long way to staying happy for a guy that doesn't mind fixing a few things himself. Saves a ton of tracing out things when you don't have the diagrams.

Pretty comprehensive drawings too looks like.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 AM   #4

I'm sure it's a "cultural" thing. RW wants/needs to protect its dealer network. More money in the dealers' pocket. And I'm sure they feel there's some proprietary element to the information...even though the likelihood of that is remote.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
These things are not rocket science follow the schematics every nail every plug box every wire goes in the same place every time
It's amazing how we have been doing this in the construction industry for years and by golly it works. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 AM   #6

Shane, that's the problem here. While the Outlet boxes may be put in the same place, the wires getting there depend on who happens to put them in that day. The same goes for the plumbing, just about no two units are plumbed the same.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:03 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I just shake my head as the amount of lost revenue these outfits have do to there incompetence it's unbelievable
Old 11-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
And I'm sure they feel there's some proprietary element to the information...even though the likelihood of that is remote.
That's exactly it, as I've heard it direct from the GM. That is why all the drawings were pulled from the other site.

I like Winnebago's approach better. They are as old a company as I am, and I don't see where they have been hurt much with the open architecture approach. Maybe there are Winnebago clones out there, but it only makes the industry bigger and better.

With Redwoods approach - I have to figure it out myself, or take to a Dealer that knows less about it than I do who then gives it to a technician that is watching the clock more than what he is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
These things are not rocket science follow the schematics every nail every plug box every wire goes in the same place every time
It's amazing how we have been doing this in the construction industry for years and by golly it works. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Sure they "ain't rocket science" Shane, but why spend the time groping in the dark to first figure out how they did it so you can then fix it, when you shouldn't really have to. I have complete manuals, or access to complete manuals, for every vehicle and appliance I own, except for the Redwood.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
That's exactly it, as I've heard it direct from the GM. That is why all the drawings were pulled from the other site.

I like Winnebago's approach better. They are as old a company as I am, and I don't see where they have been hurt much with the open architecture approach. Maybe there are Winnebago clones out there, but it only makes the industry bigger and better.

With Redwoods approach - I have to figure it out myself, or take to a Dealer that knows less about it than I do who then gives it to a technician that is watching the clock more than what he is doing.

Sure they "ain't rocket science" Shane, but why spend the time groping in the dark to first figure out how they did it so you can then fix it, when you shouldn't really have to. I have complete manuals, or access to complete manuals, for every vehicle and appliance I own, except for the Redwood.

By sharing drawings they have to make sure that they build each one the same. By not sharing drawings they don't have to worry about someone telling them that they didn't build it to their own specs. This gives them more flexibility.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #10

That's exactly what I was going to say Dave! IF they have drawings that the assemblers use apparently it just a suggestion cause they're going to do it however they want.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #11

you ASSuME they have specs ?!?! Muhahahaha
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #12

Not interested in their specs - just drawings and diagrams.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:23 AM   #13

My Redwood is the first costly thing that I have not received an owners manual for. I called Redwood and asked for a copy of the manual for a 2014. They gave me a link and told me that I could print it out. The person I talked to could not tewll me if the new one was any different than the one for my year vehicle.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:41 AM   #14

Redwood can't even be bold enough to update their webpage with new floor plans and pictures how they are building some of the new 2016s. Was looking at a new GK on a dealers site. Then went to the Redwood site and they still have original plan. Guess they are not confident with their modifications yet.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #15

If they settled down and make fewer changes in a model year, maybe the quality would improve.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
My Redwood is the first costly thing that I have not received an owners manual for. I called Redwood and asked for a copy of the manual for a 2014. They gave me a link and told me that I could print it out. The person I talked to could not tewll me if the new one was any different than the one for my year vehicle.
The owners manual is not very good - kind of a generic type.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:48 AM   #17

Kinda like posting a speed limit in Amish Country... what's the point... how fast can a horse drawn buggy go!
At least the buggies up here in Bruce County have upgraded to LED lighting!