Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #41

Hi Dan, yes you are correct, last year Shaw launched a third sat that sits at the same longitude as one of their two existing sats, those of us with the new LNB can view (in Canada) the 100 or so channels around 500 and above, most of the channels are duplicates of the HD channels at 300 to 400.

The new sat is ranged to limit the reception to about 100 miles or so south of the US/Canada border. The two "old" sats haven't changed programming (and I don't think they can be "ranged") and they will be active for a few years (a long period in "technology" time!).

In discussions with Shaw they indicate that I will still be able to receive signals in the US but they won't provide tech support if I'm there.

I believe Shaw is being pressured by interests in the US to stop broadcasting US programming into the US that they don't have agreements to broadcast there, the same as the problem Bell faced. That's one of the reason I'm holding back on the purchase of the Winegard dish for Shaw.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #42

We have our tripod set up to DirectTV with the Genie system. It allows us to watch all three TV's at the same time on different channels. We can record from all 3 up to 6 shows at one time. We also bought a connection box that allows us to connect to the internet through the TV. Very Happy!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #43

We have the Direct TV Winegard 3000 SK Traveler mounted on the roof and have been very pleased with its ease of use and good reception. The factory had run an optical cable from the TV to Blue Ray, but I ended up running an HDMI cable from TV to LG Blue Ray to enable all of the audio features from the Blue Ray. I ran the HDMI cable behind the wall and drilled an access hole into the shelf space where my Blue Ray sits. BTW I had a problem with my older Direct TV DVR working with the new 3000 SK satellite. It took several calls to Direct TV and Winegard to figure out what was going on. Replacing the DVR solved my program guide issues.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #44

We have the 36RL with the winegard dish hd rooftop and the hopper and two Joeys. It's feeds the tv in the living room, one in bedroom, and one in the basement . All I would like to know is how far away from home can I get before losing the local channels on 110 satellite. Otherwise it works great, we just take the 3 receivers with us when we travel.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #45

Jim &amp; Mary -By federal law, TV stations are limited to a designated market area (DMA) for broadcasting their signal.Similarly, satellite TV providers are prohibited from offering other local channels except the ones within your DMA. For the most part DMA's have fixed boundaries which were created by</span>Nielsen Media Research. Your address determines which DMA you belong too. I have know idea what the boundaries are for each DMA. When traveling to a new area you can receive the new DMA local channels by contacting your satellite service provider and provide them a new address. As mentioned in a previous post you should request the RV group when contacting your</span>satellite service provider. This will help speed up your request. The standard stick home service teams are not familiar with the mobile options.</span>
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #46

Does anyone know if dish/direct tv has heartburn with taking your home boxes with you in your RV? How many times will they change your "address" when you're traveling away from home?

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #47

I took my home Direct TV DVR box with me and we are now full timing with it. I have already changed my address two times with Direct TVin the past two months. I'm not aware of any restrictions on the number of times you can change your address. If Direct/Dish were smart they would provide a simple online method to change your address/DMA. You can change your billing address online with Direct TV, but they are not automatically updating your local channel service while your mobile. I did have an issue the first time I changed my mobile address because I was not dealing with the RV/mobile department on the phone. The standard service number sent me to a service representative that wanted to send me a box and an installation technician for my new address. Their standard move process is their default response.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #48

not only do we have our dvr from the house in our unit, we also took the dish and put it on a tri-pod. I have not had any issue with them changing the address or coming out and setting up the dish for us.