Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Warning about the Bosch CP4 fuel pump

Finally, after almost two years we were on our way out for our first camping trip. We were going through Raton Pass, a pass we had gone through so many times before and about a mile from the top my truck totally lost all power. Somebody was watching over me because of all the places to break down this was about the only place that I could pull off the hwy from. What a nightmare. 12 hours later I was finally home.
Now the purpose of this thread is to warn anyone that has a diesel truck between the years 2011-2016. This includes Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Most of these trucks have a Bosch CP4 fuel pump. Please look this up, there is a lot on the internet about this pump. This pump was not designed for American vehicles and when it fails, it is a catastrophic engine failure because the metal shavings from the failed pump goes everywhere. Most repairs average $12,000 to $15,000 because they have to clean and replace the entire fuel system. This is were I am at right now. So, if you have one of these trucks, and you plan to tow with it for a long time, I would suggest being proactive and consider replacing this pump. I'm sure replacing it will be ALOT cheaper than replacing the entire system.
Good luck!!
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Sorry to hear that Dan
This is a known issue
Old 05-13-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Sorry to hear that Dan
This is a known issue
Shane, thanks. My wife and decided to purchase a new truck, one with warranty. So I should have my new 2021 Chevy Silverado High Country dually by the end of next week. Of course I'm getting this new truck for my wife
Plan on another trip next month.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 05-15-2021, 01:30 AM   #4

Dan, familiar with pass, glad you are safe. Have you used any additives in your fuel? I have the CP4.2 in my 2020 Ram, and I use Power Service or purchase diesel with Power Service added in. Supposedly helps with the added lubricant to avoid the CP4 from destroying itself. About a 3K upgrade to revert back to the CP3 fuel pump.
ramaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaniac1 View Post
Dan, familiar with pass, glad you are safe. Have you used any additives in your fuel? I have the CP4.2 in my 2020 Ram, and I use Power Service or purchase diesel with Power Service added in. Supposedly helps with the added lubricant to avoid the CP4 from destroying itself. About a 3K upgrade to revert back to the CP3 fuel pump.
Jim,
Unfortunately until this happened I wasn't aware if the problem with the Bosch CP4. So no, I wasn't using any additives. I'm surprised your newer 2020 Dodge is still using it. I read that Chevy stopped using the Bosch, I believe in 2017. I would think Ford and Dodge would have done the same. Chevy now uses the Danso fuel filter. It has three chambers and a mesh to prevent any metal shavings from traveling the fuel system in the event it fails. Should be picking up my new truck by the end of next week. Really looking forward to getting out.
Safe travels my friend!
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 05-18-2021, 01:13 AM   #6

Sorry to hear about the fuel system issue you are having ! I am certain in most case this could be prevented by useing fuel additives in every tank full. Not many owner or Mechanics will talk about how to prevent this issue but its My opinion that summer and winter fuels need more lubricant since the EPA required the fuel to have less then 15 PPM of sulfur. I have been useing XPD from Opti-lube for years . Please use something of your choice that claims it add lube to the fuel. What ever you decide is going to be better then useing pump fuel only. Out delivery trucks at work have needed a high pressure fuel pump on a Cat motor and injectors in a Cummins so its NOT just Gm trucks with issues its the fuel! All of those trucks where less then 200K on them.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
Sorry to hear about the fuel system issue you are having ! I am certain in most case this could be prevented by useing fuel additives in every tank full. Not many owner or Mechanics will talk about how to prevent this issue but its My opinion that summer and winter fuels need more lubricant since the EPA required the fuel to have less then 15 PPM of sulfur. I have been useing XPD from Opti-lube for years . Please use something of your choice that claims it add lube to the fuel. What ever you decide is going to be better then useing pump fuel only. Out delivery trucks at work have needed a high pressure fuel pump on a Cat motor and injectors in a Cummins so its NOT just Gm trucks with issues its the fuel! All of those trucks where less then 200K on them.
Thanks for the info Mark. Now that I am aware about this situation I will be proactive.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 05-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
par

Dan/Connie, we are sorry to hear about your issue, but we have something in common. The exact same issue happened to us, this is a long story and will try to keep it short.
Since 2013 we have driven (except this year of course) from Ottawa, Ontario to Donna Texas every Fall. In 2018 we had just got by Palestine TX, heading South, and pulled into a campground for an overnight stay, between Palestine and Buffalo, with about 500 more miles to get to our destination. We were scheduled to arrive at our campground November 1. I got to about 50 feet from my site and my 2016 Silverado High Country stalled and would not start. To be honest all things went to hell from there. I had another truck pull me forward to get the 5th wheel positioned and unhitch it. My truck was placed on a flatbed and towed to the Palestine Chevy dealer. One of the biggest mistakes in our lives. I drove in the tow truck to the dealership and had to leave the truck there and asked for a loaner to get back to my campground, about 25 miles away, and the advisor asked me to call a friend instead!!! He would not issue a vehicle so the tow truck driver took me back.

Since the truck was not getting fixed, they finally agreed to issue a loaner after 9 days. The truck was there 21 days before we were told it was fixed. The service advisor at that dealership was a complete *****. The truck was diagnosed with metal shavings in the fuel. To add insult to injury, we noticed our front mud flap was missing. We advised the service advisor and he replied "it was not there when you brought the truck in"!!! When the truck was placed on the flatbed earlier, I took a picture thinking that we could kid around about this in a few days with our friends in our campground. The point is, that picture clearly showed the mud flap was there.

Took the truck back to our campground and hitched it up the next morning, this was Thanksgiving day. Started the truck and the engine light came on. I called On Star and made it very clear that I was not going back to that dealership. She found one just a few more miles further, called Lone Star in Fairlfield, TX. I was able to drive the truck there and met with Alex Lowe that treated us like royalty. He immediately issued a loaner and they fixed the truck PROPERLY in less than 7 days. His diagnosis was that the truck was only partially repaired in Palestine. Lone Star replaced the ENTIRE diesel fuel system, except for the gas tank.
Needless to say we lost confidence in this truck, but it ran without issue since then and a month ago where we traded in for a 2021 Denali.

Although this was an unpleasant experience we are thankful for some things:
1) Nobody was hurt.
2) It could not have happened in a better place.
3) I wish we could have had a say about the dealership, but being that far away from home that would not have helped.
4) The vehicle was under warranty so GM spent lots of money to get the truck fixed twice.
5) Don't depend on GM to provide any assistance as we were stuck in a remote campground for 30 days without compensation.
6) We did not reach our destination until December 1, 30 days late, but we got a little more familiar with Palestine and Buffalo.

Paul
Old 05-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by par View Post
Dan/Connie, we are sorry to hear about your issue, but we have something in common. The exact same issue happened to us, this is a long story and will try to keep it short.
Since 2013 we have driven (except this year of course) from Ottawa, Ontario to Donna Texas every Fall. In 2018 we had just got by Palestine TX, heading South, and pulled into a campground for an overnight stay, between Palestine and Buffalo, with about 500 more miles to get to our destination. We were scheduled to arrive at our campground November 1. I got to about 50 feet from my site and my 2016 Silverado High Country stalled and would not start. To be honest all things went to hell from there. I had another truck pull me forward to get the 5th wheel positioned and unhitch it. My truck was placed on a flatbed and towed to the Palestine Chevy dealer. One of the biggest mistakes in our lives. I drove in the tow truck to the dealership and had to leave the truck there and asked for a loaner to get back to my campground, about 25 miles away, and the advisor asked me to call a friend instead!!! He would not issue a vehicle so the tow truck driver took me back.

Since the truck was not getting fixed, they finally agreed to issue a loaner after 9 days. The truck was there 21 days before we were told it was fixed. The service advisor at that dealership was a complete *****. The truck was diagnosed with metal shavings in the fuel. To add insult to injury, we noticed our front mud flap was missing. We advised the service advisor and he replied "it was not there when you brought the truck in"!!! When the truck was placed on the flatbed earlier, I took a picture thinking that we could kid around about this in a few days with our friends in our campground. The point is, that picture clearly showed the mud flap was there.

Took the truck back to our campground and hitched it up the next morning, this was Thanksgiving day. Started the truck and the engine light came on. I called On Star and made it very clear that I was not going back to that dealership. She found one just a few more miles further, called Lone Star in Fairlfield, TX. I was able to drive the truck there and met with Alex Lowe that treated us like royalty. He immediately issued a loaner and they fixed the truck PROPERLY in less than 7 days. His diagnosis was that the truck was only partially repaired in Palestine. Lone Star replaced the ENTIRE diesel fuel system, except for the gas tank.
Needless to say we lost confidence in this truck, but it ran without issue since then and a month ago where we traded in for a 2021 Denali.

Although this was an unpleasant experience we are thankful for some things:
1) Nobody was hurt.
2) It could not have happened in a better place.
3) I wish we could have had a say about the dealership, but being that far away from home that would not have helped.
4) The vehicle was under warranty so GM spent lots of money to get the truck fixed twice.
5) Don't depend on GM to provide any assistance as we were stuck in a remote campground for 30 days without compensation.
6) We did not reach our destination until December 1, 30 days late, but we got a little more familiar with Palestine and Buffalo.

Paul
Paul,
Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. At least in your case your truck was still under warranty. Mine was not....ouch I was fortunate that I had a good service advisor that called me and sent me pictures daily on the status of my truck. Congrats on your new Denali. Like you I lost confidence in my truck. And wanted another truck with a warranty, So, my wife and I drove to a dealership in Texas, about 625 miles away (my old truck did great on that drive) and pick up a 2021 Chevy High Country dually. This was the closest dealership that had want I wanted. These new trucks are pretty amazing. They do everything but drive themselves. I'm having the hitch installed this Friday and my wife and I are heading out the second week of June. Can't wait!!
Safe travels friend!!
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 01-19-2024, 01:15 PM   #10

It's truly unfortunate to hear about the difficulties experienced with the Bosch CP4

It's truly unfortunate to hear about the difficulties experienced with the Bosch CP4 fuel pump. These kinds of situations can indeed be very stressful and costly, especially when they occur during what should be an enjoyable time like a camping trip. The experiences shared here highlight the importance of being informed about potential issues with vehicle components, especially for those who frequently travel or tow.

For those who own diesel trucks from 2011-2016, it seems prudent to be aware of the potential risks associated with the Bosch CP4 pump. Considering the high cost of repairs if the pump fails, it might be worth looking into preventative measures. Using fuel additives, as mentioned by some of the contributors, could be a viable option to provide extra lubrication and potentially extend the pump's life. Alternatively, exploring the option of upgrading to a different pump model, such as the CP3, might also be a wise investment to avoid future problems.

It's also worth noting that experiences with dealership service can vary greatly. It's always beneficial to research and find reputable service providers who are known for quality work and customer service, as this can make a significant difference in the event of vehicle troubles.

Lastly, it's great to hear about the excitement and anticipation for future trips with new trucks. The advancements in newer models can indeed enhance the driving and towing experience. Wishing everyone safe and enjoyable travels on their upcoming adventures!
NIOMARVIN83 is offline   Reply With Quote