Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I think the park restrictions are on the autoformer like this:

https://hughesautoformers.com/

They are just a giant transformer that claims it steps up voltage 2% up to 10%.
You are correct Atom those are the ones that are restricted from use on our park . They are dangerous I had one and it went up in fire why I don't know .
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET156 View Post
You are correct Atom those are the ones that are restricted from use on our park . They are dangerous I had one and it went up in fire why I don't know .
That would be a problem! For me anyways.

I wonder if while they are boosting power, they actually draw more amps than usual which make the parks complain? I don't know.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #63

Yep AA, as park voltage goes down due to overall park demand / load, the transformers will draw more amps to maintain the output voltage level as the incoming voltage level drops.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 AM   #64

I might be over thinking this. I am going to install the Progressive Hardwired into the RV. Its been sitting in the basement for a while.

My concern: Will I still be able to power the RV with 120 from the house? Or will the Progressive shut me down for only having one phase?
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #65

Progressive Surge Guard!

To be honest on this one, I would call Progressive Technical Support and Explain what you want to do.

Progressive would be able to advise on your project!

I have asked technical questions of them and received a quick response.

Take Care,

JT
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #66
Site Team

When I have the rig at the house I power it with a 120 volt extension cord through a 50a - 15a adapter pigtail that I got from Amazon. I'm sure it's available elsewhere, think it is a Camco product. With this adapter in line, it does all the voltage and phase adapting and my surge protector is happy.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #67

Yes the power still works. I have mine plugged in to 120 at the temporary storage facility mine is parked. It still goes through the self test and tells me how many volts and amps I am using.
Hookpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #68

What they said.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #69

Yep, we've been plugged into 15, 20, 30, and 50 amp outlets without any problems, other than power management when on anything less than 50!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #70

I have been having an issue when plugged into 120 at the house through my 50-to-30-to-15 pigtail. The Progressive Ind. hardwired cycles on & off continuously, about every 20 seconds. I had this issue the first time I plugged in at home, then moved the extension cord to another outlet and it worked fine. I assumed the first outlet was phase reversed. Then I had the pigtail stolen, but had a spare, and now get this cycling issue. I ohm'ed out the second pigtail, and seems normal. Anyone have any suggestions? I probably should call PI tech support as was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Ken
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #71

It's possible if the house outlet you're using is a GFCI protected receptacle, the Redwood doesn't like it. It may fight with the GFCI outlets in the coach, and the trip is a result. Maybe try using a longer cord to plug into a non-GFCI receptacle in your house to see if that takes care of it. I think if there was a hot neutral or ground reversal, the PI will flag that and give an error message appropriate to the problem.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
I have been having an issue when plugged into 120 at the house through my 50-to-30-to-15 pigtail. The Progressive Ind. hardwired cycles on & off continuously, about every 20 seconds. I had this issue the first time I plugged in at home, then moved the extension cord to another outlet and it worked fine. I assumed the first outlet was phase reversed. Then I had the pigtail stolen, but had a spare, and now get this cycling issue. I ohm'ed out the second pigtail, and seems normal. Anyone have any suggestions? I probably should call PI tech support as was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Ken
It might be your house wiring and how many amps you are drawing. Our house has aluminum wiring and I've had issues with running an electric pressure washer on one circuit at the end of a line of plugs, the voltage would drop, the amps would go up and then the breaker tripped. A voltage/amperage readout (if you have one on the PI) or a clamp on meter would run it down. It's possible that the surge guard is shutting the RV down on low voltage, coming back on then shutting down again after a delay due to low voltage or when something in the RV turned on to drop the voltage.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 AM   #73
S&K

"I have been having an issue when plugged into 120 at the house through my 50-to-30-to-15 pigtail. The Progressive Ind. hardwired cycles on & off continuously, about every 20 seconds. I had this issue the first time I plugged in at home, then moved the extension cord to another outlet and it worked fine."

We store our unit at home and have 50 amp service installed "just in case". We normally only have the 15 power cord hooked up to it for 'trickle charge' and firing up the fridge before our trips. We had the same problem. The receptacle, which was GFCI, kept tripping. (We also have the PI hardwired)

Our fix now is to install a non-GFCI 15 amp receptacle, which is hard to find in the big box stores, and that should be happening soon.

But, listen to the other guys.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #74

Thanks for the input friends. Last night I was going to try to eliminate the feed from my GFCI house outlet and connect to another non protected outlet. I disconnected the battery charger which I had plugged in to the GFCI outlet, moved the extension cord over to the pigtail adapter, was starting to go back to the house to move the cord but decided to check inside the coach, and "wah-la" it wasn't cycling on-off! ???? This morning, still good. The only thing that changed that I know of is fully charged batteries. So this is still a mystery. If it happens again, I will move to the non GFCI house outlet and see what happens. Crazy!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #75

Update on the power cycling. Today was getting the RW ready to move back to storage. Had it still plugged into the house. When I was bringing the slides in, the 120 started to cycle/click on & off for a short time until the slides were fully in. Then stopped. So the issue I was having previously had to do with low batteries I think now. Although I now know the cause, I don't understand why this is happening. Plus, if I have low batteries and want to plug in to charge them through the converter, it wouldn't because the power would click on & off! This doesn't seem normal to me.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #76

I'm wondering if what you are hearing is not the 110V power clicking but a solenoid on the hydraulic system chattering. I've had this when trying to move the legs or slides with the batteries disconnected (110V power only) after stopping in a campground for a long time. Not enough power from the convertor to power the system partially because the system is "stiff"
Old 06-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
I'm wondering if what you are hearing is not the 110V power clicking but a solenoid on the hydraulic system chattering. I've had this when trying to move the legs or slides with the batteries disconnected (110V power only) after stopping in a campground for a long time. Not enough power from the convertor to power the system partially because the system is "stiff"
I know for a fact that the 120V cuts in and out. I can tell this as the microwave cuts in & out. When this has occurred previously, I have tried to listen and feel the components in the front compartment; it's either the Progressive Industries surge protector or the transfer switch. They are right next to each other.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #78

Just another thought, does the power restore after a delay? My surge guard has a delay of just over 2 minutes until it restores power.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:38 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
Just another thought, does the power restore after a delay? My surge guard has a delay of just over 2 minutes until it restores power.
The cycling is about every 20 seconds. I'm going to call Progressive Ind. tomorrow to see if they have any info/recommendations on this. Sounds like no one else has this problem.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:57 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
The cycling is about every 20 seconds. I'm going to call Progressive Ind. tomorrow to see if they have any info/recommendations on this. Sounds like no one else has this problem.
The progressive has two delay options. One is about 15 to 20 seconds, the other is about 2 minutes... Sounds like the progressive does not like the power you are sending to the coach. I would trust the progressive and figure out the source of the power. Call progressive, they are awesome and may help figure out your problem.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote