Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

Battery Hookup Question

Wife and I own a 2022 Redwood 4001LK. We keep it on our lot and have it hooked up to shore power 100% of the time. Can we turn our batteries off while we're not using them? Pretty handy guy but inverter/converter stuff is like a foreign language to me.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Mooseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:48 AM   #2

I would not operate the converter/charger without the batteries connected. I have read that the charger will see no batteries as a completely discharged battery and try to charge them all the time. This could cause an overload on the converter/charger if you are using lots of other DC loads. Also the batteries act as a sort of surge protector for short term large DC loads like using the hydraulic level up system, or putting the slides in or out. The converter/charger may not have the capacity to perform those things causing a larger current draw which may blow fuses. Power=voltage times current, so if voltage drops then current goes up for the same load. Hope this helps.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:23 AM   #3

If permanently parked you still need at least 1 fully charged battery installed.
Any heavy amp draw items such as slides or leveling jacks require a battery as they would over strain the converter shortening its lifespan. Also if you have a power failure without fully charged batteries you'll have no lights, no water pump, no fridge or water heater on gas as they require 12 volts to power the control boards.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:27 PM   #4
Lee

I typically turn the batteries off when park for an extended period of time, the charger tends to "boil" the batteries and lead to a need for refilling the water in them about every three to six months, NEVER had an issue doing this.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I typically turn the batteries off when park for an extended period of time, the charger tends to "boil" the batteries and lead to a need for refilling the water in them about every three to six months, NEVER had an issue doing this.
If your batteries are boiling plugged in your converter is faulty or the batteries. Leaving the unit plugged in w/ batteries connected is the best way to store & maintain the batteries.
The converter should only provide the charging required by the charge of the battery, either full charge, to trickle, to float, but yes all flooded lead acid batteries will require topping off w/ distilled water periodically, not necessarily due to boiling but just due to charge discharge cycles.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote