Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

New Guy Home From The RV Show

Hello All,

I just got home earlier today from the Portland, OR RV Show.
I have been looking for an RV for the last 6-7 months.

I started off looking at travel trailers thinking it would be fun for me and my gf to take off on the weekends and maybe bring the nieces along for fun. My dad took me out hunting and camping all the time and I really miss the fun of RV'ing

I got very close to buying a Laredo 314RL travel trailer a few months back and while I showed up to take a final look before purchasing it another sales guy showed me the 381FL, and 379FL Fifth Wheels from a few different brands.
Total game changer! I loved all the extra storage as well as the options of washer and dryer and a dishwasher. I started thinking full time living......
However, I was a little leary of the quality of one of the brands. On the 381FL The microwave was mounted from the factory too tight to the left side so the door wouldn't open all the way. This is on more than 1 unit it they had the same problem!! How could this happen if they are inspecting these at the factory?
Answer: They are not!
The other thing was the 381 had a central vacuum. The 379 had the dishwasher. Neither had both. I wanted all of it in one package. So I kept looking.

Today my RV sales friend calls me and gave me a ticket for the RV show. He did not have anything that excited me so I walked around.
I stumbled upon the Redwood 39MB with the Silver and black exterior and the Urban Clay interior white wood with white leather. Super bright and not what every other RV looks like on the inside. Love it!!
This one had the butler pantry that I think I would prefer over a second half bath.
I am done looking!! It is exactly what I have been looking for. My girlfriend loves everything in white. I dont care on the interior colors too much as long as she's happy. Knowing her for 8 years you learn what to compromise on lol I'll probably end up telling her I want this one in all white to make her happy lol

I love everything about it except the 300 people a day at the show that have been in and out of it.
So the question is how do I get one just like that that 1000 or more people have not trampled through? Just as importantly what kind of pricing should I expect if I need to order? Is there any options that are a must? This pretty much had everything. I did like the RV tablet.
Not sure on the glass vs gas cooktop. Had the convection top. i LOVE how clean that looks and takes up so little space. But having a gas oven would be handy once in a while?
Any imput is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Uramillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

We saw our 39MB on display with same interior last Feb. at the Richmond, Va. Rv show, had the same reaction as you when we saw the urban clay cabinets. We placed our CUSTOM ORDER for one outfitted the way we wanted it with the factory rep & salesman who was present & highly suggest you do the same (order). Just take your time to study your options & continue your research before ordering. If nothing else, make sure you order it with the upgraded Goodyear G114 tires & 17 1/2 " wheels to reduce risk of blowouts/tire failure issue(s). We opted for the second 1/2 bath & GAS stove........AND remember you'll need an appropriate truck (suggest a Dually) to pull it.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Unless the show unit is EXACTLY what you were looking for after reviewing all the accessory options available, I would just order one. I too saw my first Redwood at a show and had the urge to just jump on it, but then in research I found they had some very desirable options available that weren't on the show unit, such as full body paint, disk brakes, better tires, etc.

Here is a fairly recent option sheet if you would like to see it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Redwood Pricing 9-1-15 MSRP (1).pdf (476.0 KB, 27 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Relative to pricing............depending on your negotiating skills and the dealer, you can achieve 30% to 40% discount from the the suggested list price. It is best to shop more multiple dealers to get the best pricing.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

We saw our RW at the Portland RV show last year. Did not want the one that everyone had walked thru either. The dealer had one that was due in the next week from factory. We negotiated a better price than the show price. Other than some minor warranty issues we have been Happy with the RW. Dealer has been somewhat challenging but they have gotten better over the last year. We bought ours at the same dealer in Portland.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Rosey and Atom Ant
Thanks

Rosey like you are saying that is a lot of weight to be pulling. Its a top priority to have upgraded tires. I recently watched a video of a really nice diesel pusher roll over because of a blowout. https://youtu.be/9LkLeljt4t0
I never want anyone to be in that situation.

Atom Ant The unit at the show is pretty loaded. There's just been too much traffic through it to want that one. They have it price at $94,677 for the show. Down from $136,356. I know they can come down more.
Thanks for the price list too! Very helpful.

How long did it take to get your RW delivered from the time you ordered?

Hoosier Guy Are you going to be free later today? I need you there with me while i negotiate

Love this forum
Old 11-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
We saw our RW at the Portland RV show last year. Did not want the one that everyone had walked thru either. The dealer had one that was due in the next week from factory. We negotiated a better price than the show price. Other than some minor warranty issues we have been Happy with the RW. Dealer has been somewhat challenging but they have gotten better over the last year. We bought ours at the same dealer in Portland.
RWJSIM303 Challenging as in customer service? Or just overall getting work done?
I know a few of the sales guys left this year and have been very happy they changed.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Unless the show unit is EXACTLY what you were looking for after reviewing all the accessory options available, I would just order one. I too saw my first Redwood at a show and had the urge to just jump on it, but then in research I found they had some very desirable options available that weren't on the show unit, such as full body paint, disk brakes, better tires, etc.

Here is a fairly recent option sheet if you would like to see it.
You and I are on complete different ends of the spectrum on this. I would never order a vehicle or now, a RV. I always purchase off the the lot. With the internet you can find the one on the lot that has the options that are impossible to add after the purchase. I would use the 1000 people walking through the RW at the show to drop the price further. Also, to me the prices on the options don't appear to be good deals.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
You and I are on complete different ends of the spectrum on this. I would never order a vehicle or now, a RV. I always purchase off the the lot. With the internet you can find the one on the lot that has the options that are impossible to add after the purchase. I would use the 1000 people walking through the RW at the show to drop the price further. Also, to me the prices on the options don't appear to be good deals.
I know everyone has different experiences that support their methods, but I will say I paid less for my unit ordered, than the show price on the non-painted non-disk brake unit we originally looked at, and as a result of ordering, we went up a year, got better window coverings and furniture than the show unit, simply because of changes at the factory.

It's all relative - factory prices to Dealers are set, with occasional volume or closeout discounts, and the Dealer sets the price. You can negotiate with the Dealer on an ordered one just as well as a lot model, and all the options are discounted at the same rate as your negotiation. I have a hard time finding lot units with all the options I want and too often they get lot rot that I don't need to worry about when ordering.

We did similar to what you are talking about on the internet, only we had an order sheet that went out for bid rather than browsing lot units.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
At this level why not get what you want vs. settling for something you may like but want more things on?
Someone mentioned they saw all these RW's at the dealer lot in portland getting cleaned up before the show. Tons of options however there are no disk brakes? Makes no sense to me. I checked the options ordered on that coach and hes right! No disk brakes. Little stuff like that makes all the difference.

Im going to order with everything i want, get more options and probably get a better price than the show. Lifes too short to not go for it if you can handle it.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uramillionaire View Post
At this level why not get what you want vs. settling for something you may like but want more things on?
Someone mentioned they saw all these RW's at the dealer lot in portland getting cleaned up before the show. Tons of options however there are no disk brakes? Makes no sense to me. I checked the options ordered on that coach and hes right! No disk brakes. Little stuff like that makes all the difference.

Im going to order with everything i want, get more options and probably get a better price than the show. Lifes too short to not go for it if you can handle it.
Ordering it with an 8k axle will get you an 8k axle, but it will not get you the best of class, Moy/Ride 8K IS Axle. There are benefits to my way, and tempers my desire to improve stuff. Buying it off the lot gives many plenty of things to play with. I'm probably going to have Ethan Allen replace my furniture and window treatments. My son can have the Naugahyde furniture when he moves out. Fridgidaire Microwave gone- will replace with GE Profile. In the end, the redwood will be mine by design.

At the same time I will be learning how this is put together and how to maintain it.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Ordering it with an 8k axle will get you an 8k axle, but it will not get you the best of class, Moy/Ride 8K IS Axle. There are benefits to my way, and tempers my desire to improve stuff. Buying it off the lot gives many plenty of things to play with. I'm probably going to have Ethan Allen replace my furniture and window treatments. My son can have the Naugahyde furniture when he moves out. Fridgidaire Microwave gone- will replace with GE Profile. In the end, the redwood will be mine by design.

At the same time I will be learning how this is put together and how to maintain it.
I get you Bergeman.
I'm still working so I dont really want to spend a lot of time redoing things. I was very comfortable in the unit as it was and the only thing I see changing out will be the tv's to Samsung as a personal preference, and the batteries to lithium ion. I love the kitchen the way it was and I could see myself going on the road and eating out alot anyways just because I love food wine spirits and learning about cooking. Mostly for :fish ing: of all types.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #13

In overall getting warranty Items taken care of. Things have gotten better in the last few months but I have had to stay on top of them. One of the issues is we are fulltimers and so it is hard to schedule repairs. Most of the small things I can do myself but because parts have to go through dealer some time things are slow moving.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #14

Quote:

There is probably a cheaper way to buy a shell if thats all your after. Why not go used if you are going to rebuild it anyway - save 50% or more.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #15

Question,

With the tank heaters how are the RW in the cold weather? Do they require a lot of heat in the winter or are they pretty well insulated.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #16

Pull up "Coldest Temperature" thread. This was a recently discussed topic.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 AM   #17

Thanks bob!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #18

Our RW does really well in the winter here in Oregon we hardly ever use the Furnace mostly use the heat pump, two elec haters and fire place. Last winter we were warm and toasty all winter. We have only used half a tank of propane in a year.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:08 AM   #19

If you want tank heaters I doubt you will find any setting on a lot with them, they are an option that most dealers aren't going to order.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Our RW does really well in the winter here in Oregon we hardly ever use the Furnace mostly use the heat pump, two elec haters and fire place. Last winter we were warm and toasty all winter. We have only used half a tank of propane in a year.

Wow! If you have only used 1 tank of LP in a year, you haven't been experiencing any real winter. During February 2014 in the panhandle of Florida, we were going through a 30 lbs LP tank per week and that wasn't real winter, although, I am sure the local Floridians thought so. We were having highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's.

I know there are folks on the forum that are wintering in these 5th wheels, but, they are certainly experiencing some very high LP bills. It all depends on what you are willing to tolerate.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote