Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Smile New Full Timers Starting Today!

Hey everyone! So excited to be a part of this group. My husband and I are new Full Timers beginning today! We are in the DFW area of Texas. We just purchased our 2014 Redwood 38L. Today and tomorrow are moving day and I am feverishly doing my last minute "move this to storage, throw this away, I think I can make it fit" nesting. My husband is retired and I am in healthcare. I have gained so much knowledge from this site already and I know I will have many questions yet to come. Just a few I have already. We have 2 overhead lights in the kitchen that we cannot seem to find a switch for, is there a "hidden one" somewhere or would it be possible for 2 (they are in line, almost inline with the door and the fridge) to both be out at the same time? Question #2 - Has anyone put a larger TV in the living area? How did you do it? Whew, back to work. Thanks for all the help!
Eddie&Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie&Missy View Post
Hey everyone! So excited to be a part of this group. My husband and I are new Full Timers beginning today! We are in the DFW area of Texas. We just purchased our 2014 Redwood 38L. Today and tomorrow are moving day and I am feverishly doing my last minute "move this to storage, throw this away, I think I can make it fit" nesting. My husband is retired and I am in healthcare. I have gained so much knowledge from this site already and I know I will have many questions yet to come. Just a few I have already. We have 2 overhead lights in the kitchen that we cannot seem to find a switch for, is there a "hidden one" somewhere or would it be possible for 2 (they are in line, almost inline with the door and the fridge) to both be out at the same time? Question #2 - Has anyone put a larger TV in the living area? How did you do it? Whew, back to work. Thanks for all the help!

Missy,

Based on the information you supplied, it sounds like the lights are ceiling lights. If other ceiling lights turn / off in the kitchen area, you may have lamps or bulbs that have failed in those two fixtures. In my coach (2012 model 36RL) the fixtures have lamps or bulbs that are replaceable. Originally Redwood used halogen lamps. I have replaced most of mine with LED lamps. You can remove the fixture cover by turning it approx. a quarter turn CW. If the bulbs are still halogen, sometimes you can cause the filament to re-weld itself by slapping the ceiling lightly next to the fixture. The vibration cause the filament to momentarily reconnect and weld. The power has to be on to the lights in question. This a short term fix. Long term, you will need to get new bulbs or replace with LED lamps. I recommend the LED in place of the halogen due to the reliability and also the heat that the halogen create. The halogen are typically 20 watt bulbs. The LEDs are typically 2 or 3 watts max.

Hope this helps.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

Thank you, I will try this. I figured we had some we would need to replace fairly soon anyway. Happy New Year!
Eddie&Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #4

It would also be helpful if you put the model of your RW in the signature that way we know how to assist you the best when needed. Congratulations on the move
Old 12-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #5

Typically those lights are daisy chained from light to light. In mine I found that the couple at the end of the string a wire nut had came loose so those last couple lights didn't work. You may have to remove each fixture to check for loose connections.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:10 AM   #6

You said 38L, so I assume you mean 38RL? We had a 2012 36RL, same floor plan just a little shorter and changing all the bulbs to LED was one of the first things, but our current very early 2016 39MB came with all LEDs inside, while storage lights were Incandesents which have all been changed out.
As for the TV, not much you can do without covering the cabinets on either side. We did replace our failed 42" with a 43", BUT had to modify the mount since it seems RW doesn't always use Industry Standard mounts.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #7

If you mean the 2 lights in the slide above the microwave/ convection oven... there's a switch to the right of the stove, next to an outlet. We have a 2015 38RL so things could be different... If you're talking about the flush lights in the roof of the main cabin (not in the slide) refer to the other comments. Good luck!
BLeverenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:48 AM   #8

New Full Timer’s

Welcome Eddie & Missy, I have a 2014 36RL and if you are talking about the lights over the island/sink the switch is on the right side wall with all the other lights switches. I would also recommend LED they are a different brightness compared to old ones.