Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #1

We will be picking up our new unit on Friday to take it out and set it up and outfit it. We are very excited. Hope to post on here some to share some of our experiances with the unit. Is anyone else on here and owner also?
tsewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #2

Barb and I have been looking at 5th wheels for about 4 years. We were considering the Carrage lite as well the DRV 38rssb. About 5 weeks agowe looked at the 36FL Redwood. Barb fell in love with the floor plan and as they say the rest is history. We picked our new unit 3 weeks ago and have used it two times. We plan on fulltiming when the time is right. We are very excited about the unitand the quality. The leveling sytem is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

Sounds great. We were looking at Carrage real hard also. Since they are having financial troubles, I am glad we found the Redwood. We are right now raising a grandchild and we both are landmen, so when he is out of high school, we will use ours full time too. Until then, we just want to have some fun in it. I really believe that we got a better unit anyway.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

Sounds like you have your hands full with grandkids. Make sure you do a complete PDI. Ours went really well and as soon as it was completed we went on a a shake down trip. We plan on taking a five days around Thanksgiving, can't wait. We are also Newbes so we purchased quite a few things to make the loading much easier. I found that the starter kit they provided us was not of very good quality, so webought all new sewer hoses, water hoses.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #5

We got our unit in Seguin. Those folks have been great so far. We are not new to the RV world. We used to have a diesel pusher, but you really need to use those things all the time. They just hold up better and we had to quit that after a while. The thing I like about these Redwood units is that they have a lot of the nice things I liked about the motorcoach, like slam doors and of course the leveling system. The interiors are just as nice, too. If you add a auto satellite dish, a generator, an outside TV and a couple of other things, they have all the amenities that a motor coach has. Plus, towing one is not as scarry to my wife as was driving down the road in an 8 foot wide motor coach. Perception is everything. We had some stuff left from the motor coach days to do some of the outfitting, but we have been to the store and online to get a lot of things to put into it. We pretty much buy some nice stuff to go in the 5th wheel since in the future, it will be where we will be living most of the time. These are nice units and you can do a lot with them. We are really looking forward to taking a couple week trek in it next summer.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

Great info! Please keep us informed. Had to drop Carriage off of the list which is a shame because our '04 Cameo has been great and a solid full timing rig.

Starter kits make good emergency stuff but like you noticed, not good for frequent usage.

Enjoy and keep us in the loop!
Cyberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #7

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm looking forward to reading your updates.
Thumper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

Edited by: boblar
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #9

Just brought ours home today. Pulled it about 100 miles. Not a hassel at all. We spent the evening getting it loaded up. We have had a motorhome before, so we had a lot of things, plus knew what we wanted in it. Had to wait a few days to get it to get my tow vehicle modified a little. I got my Dad's 1996 Ford 350 7.3 turbo diesel with 120K miles on it. It was in great condition and it towed it great with a little rear spring help. My poor Dad has early Alzheimers and did not need to be driving any more. The truck is in such great shape, I just had to try using it. It worked out great. They say that is the best engine and tranny combo they ever made. Anyway, the 36RE pulled great behind it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

Congratulations on getting your new coach. We will take delivery on our 36RE in February. So far our dealings with Windish RV in Lakewood, CO and the Redwood factory have been very satisfactory. We will tow our new coach home with a 2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 diesel.I hope it performs as well as your 7.3.My Dad suffered with Alzheimers too, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #11

Flyfisher,

We have really enjoyed ours. It sets up so easily and tows great. Instead of air bags, we used the super springs and they have worked great.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #12

I think we'll hold off on any suspension add ons until we get the new coach hooked on and see what we need.Glad to hear you are enjoying you new RW. Safe travels
Flyfisher
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Site Team

Congratulations to both tsewall (Tom) and Flyfisher (Brett) on yourpurchases.

I think your Fords will do great pulling you Redwoods. I have have been very surprised how easy and smooth our 2012 RW 36 RL tows. Of course we have only towed about 765 miles on flat Indiana and Michigan roads. We will find out this July how it tows in the mountains as we are planning a trip to Gunnison, Colorado and to the Four Corners area.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #14

Hoosierguy,
Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence on the Fords. We live in the Denver, Co area so we'll be doing a lot of mountain travel.
Brett
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #15

We have purchased the 36RE at Windish RV in Lakewood, CO. We worked with Cory as our salesman. We ordered the unitJanuary 6th, 2012. It was delivered to the dealership last week. We close on the deal and pick it up March 31, 2012.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #16

Well, we have had ours since November and used it first for Deer Hunting with limited use. Got a few kinks worked out and learned a little more about the unit. We started using it more full time recently for work and learned a little bit more about the unit and got a couple more minor kinks worked and one major one fixed (the water was all hot out of all of the outlets for some reason).

Anyway, I just want to say that now that all those things are taken care, we could not be happier with our purchase. I think the thing that I like the most is how easily it tows with my Dad's (now mine) 1996 Ford F350 7.3 turbo diesel. Once I put the super springs on, it worked great together, even the color of the truck matches up real with the 36RE. I also can not say enough about how easy it is for me to get it ready to haul and especially how easy it is to set up. I can have it leveled, sewer and water hooked, electric hooked up and slides out in less than 5 minutes. That is easier than it used to be with a diesel pusher I owned and much easier than any 5th wheel or trailer that I ever used. That is really great if the weather is bad or cold. That is the best thing about these units. The way you can just slide out the sewer connection is just so well thought out. Plus, who can say enough about the auto leveling system.

The inside of the unit is just so home like. I really thought that the slide out trash can was just a gimmick until I have used it. The bags fit just perfectly and if I have dirty or wet hands, it just helps avoid creating a bigger mess. Also, my wife and I just love the front walk in closet. There is so much storage in the unit, that it is hard to really use it all. There are also plenty of electrical outlets for all of our electronic gadgets. We are really enjoying the unit. I could go on and on, but this is by far the best RV setup (including the luxury diesel pusher) that we have owned or used. It is sort of amazing since they had such a short time to plan and start up the production of these units. It just goes to show you what you can do when you take a bunch of guys familiar with something and start from scratch to make something really functional and elegant at the same time.

Wow! I can not believe that I just wrote that much, but it is all our true feelings and not much fluff involved with that. I thought that my wife would like this unit a lot better than me, but as it turns out, this unit was really designed to make a man happy as far as functionality and keep the woman happy with it's home like looks and comforts.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsewall
Well, we have had ours since November and used it first for Deer Hunting with limited use. Got a few kinks worked out and learned a little more about the unit. We started using it more full time recently for work and learned a little bit more about the unit and got a couple more minor kinks worked and one major one fixed (the water was all hot out of all of the outlets for some reason).

Anyway, I just want to say that now that all those things are taken care, we could not be happier with our purchase. I think the thing that I like the most is how easily it tows with my Dad's (now mine) 1996 Ford F350 7.3 turbo diesel. Once I put the super springs on, it worked great together, even the color of the truck matches up real with the 36RE. I also can not say enough about how easy it is for me to get it ready to haul and especially how easy it is to set up. I can have it leveled, sewer and water hooked, electric hooked up and slides out in less than 5 minutes. That is easier than it used to be with a diesel pusher I owned and much easier than any 5th wheel or trailer that I ever used. That is really great if the weather is bad or cold. That is the best thing about these units. The way you can just slide out the sewer connection is just so well thought out. Plus, who can say enough about the auto leveling system.

The inside of the unit is just so home like. I really thought that the slide out trash can was just a gimmick until I have used it. The bags fit just perfectly and if I have dirty or wet hands, it just helps avoid creating a bigger mess. Also, my wife and I just love the front walk in closet. There is so much storage in the unit, that it is hard to really use it all. There are also plenty of electrical outlets for all of our electronic gadgets. We are really enjoying the unit. I could go on and on, but this is by far the best RV setup (including the luxury diesel pusher) that we have owned or used. It is sort of amazing since they had such a short time to plan and start up the production of these units. It just goes to show you what you can do when you take a bunch of guys familiar with something and start from scratch to make something really functional and elegant at the same time.

Wow! I can not believe that I just wrote that much, but it is all our true feelings and not much fluff involved with that. I thought that my wife would like this unit a lot better than me, but as it turns out, this unit was really designed to make a man happy as far as functionality and keep the woman happy with it's home like looks and comforts.
That's great news! I wish this kind of information could get on the other forums too because there seems to be a bias against Redwood.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #18

That's because they don't have one!
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
That's because they don't have one!
Yes that's right...for some reason people feel insulted if you don't buy what they have yet they probably wouldn't buy the same unit again either. So they feel the need to put down or bash another brand.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #20

They just can't handle change there unit is no longer #1!

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote