Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #1

Hello from Scottsdale AZ Rio Verde Area

We are from Vail, Colorado and just bought RW2018 3901WB primarily for full time home for Valerie's father from Denver. We stopped the build of our Casita (tiny home) and decided to buy a high end 5th wheel as his home and hope to travel with it later. We don't have big enough truck yet. Here are some of our issues we hope to find advice on from smarter and more experienced RVers.
1. how to find out limits of the (self) leveling system for 3901 as our planned site has some 1-2ft rise to it? If we don't need to level more and the supports work - great we will do after we are sure this site works.
2. What truck and engine is needed for 17,000lb 5th wheel - 2500 or 3500 with dualies?
3. advice on installing "hard" PVC line to main home Septic System?
4. advice on need to shade the RV from AZ sunshine/heat?

Gary and Valerie Mesch
rgmesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome ! I think I can help on a few of your questions -

You want the site to be as level as possible. While the leveling system can handle a 1’ difference in grade, the shorter you can make the jack extension, the more stable the coach will be.

We are in northern Arizona high desert near Page, AZ. Gets hot and cold. Our 2013 36RL handles the cold with no problem and in the summer, I put on a mesh window covering from EZ Snap. It’s a black, see through UV material that works well. I also did the return air vent mods to the ACunits and that makes a big difference.

Hard sewer connection is fine, just make the first connection from the coach to the PVC a flexible hose so that you can relevel the coach when needed.

Truck - if you’re going to travel with it - a Dually. Many of us have tried to do it with a single rear truck. Some Redwoods you can get away with that if you travel really light. A WB is not one of them. lol
Old 09-18-2022, 11:41 PM   #3

Thanks piper guy, Useful info!
More level to gain best use of supports for stability
Heat is our concern and reducing degradation of the exterior - thinking of soft covering of some type - Poles hung with UV fabric material for summer
Gary
Old 09-19-2022, 05:12 AM   #4

Hard piping to the sewer is a good idea, but with either the hose or pipe DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT leave the black tank valve open, fill, dump & rinse as needed.
Leaving the black valve open WILL create the dreaded poop pyramid directly under the toilet in the tank due to all the liquid draining leaving the paper & poop to harden in a pile, visualize poop paper mache, that's next to impossible to clear out.
Sorry to be so graphic, but it's not an issue you want to deal with.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:01 PM   #5

Thanks for that PP mental image - will never forget. Ha!
Old 09-19-2022, 11:06 PM   #6

Better to have that image than dealing with the real thing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmesch View Post
Thanks piper guy, Useful info!
More level to gain best use of supports for stability
Heat is our concern and reducing degradation of the exterior - thinking of soft covering of some type - Poles hung with UV fabric material for summer
Gary
Michelle & Ann, Hope you are well and have great plans this year. We are finally using our 2018 Redwood 3901WB for home for Valerie's 90 year old Dad. We should have lived in it a week ourselves because poor Ed is finding all the little nagging problems he doesn't need.
I'm looking for advice on Furnace control first since I can't seem to keep the heater from exceeding the 71deg to 80deg despite replacing the Airxcel thermostat. Just looking for best way to find 2018 RW experience and my first search of posts was "zero" which doesn't make sense. Looking for general post. only know 2 members so far. Best Wishes
Old 01-24-2023, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Hard piping to the sewer is a good idea, but with either the hose or pipe DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT leave the black tank valve open, fill, dump & rinse as needed.
Leaving the black valve open WILL create the dreaded poop pyramid directly under the toilet in the tank due to all the liquid draining leaving the paper & poop to harden in a pile, visualize poop paper mache, that's next to impossible to clear out.
Sorry to be so graphic, but it's not an issue you want to deal with.
Danny & Linda, Hope you are well and have great plans this year. We are finally using our 2018 Redwood 3901WB for home for Valerie's 90 year old Dad. We should have lived in it a week ourselves because poor Ed is finding all the little nagging problems he doesn't need.
I'm looking for advice on Furnace control first since I can't seem to keep the heater from exceeding the 71deg setting to 80deg despite replacing the Airxcel thermostat. Just looking for best way to find 2018 Redwood experience and my first search of posts was "zero" which doesn't make sense. Looking for general post next. Best Wishes Gary
Old 01-24-2023, 04:17 AM   #9

I'd contact Airxcel for advice on setting the tstat temp differential.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:02 PM   #10

This was to last Sep note. Now that StepDad is living in RWmansion and we are at 31deg I am learning a lot the hard way about Heat Pumps and thermostats. I found Airxcel (Coleman) site and doesn't recognize my model number?? It's only 2018 yet they don't support 5 year old models. Sounds funny like the were bought out? Just insulated behind the thermostats after confirming someone advice that cool air on back of thermostat has messed with some thermostats. Thank for your assistance let us know if in Scottsdale Gary & Valerie