Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #1

Redwood 4001LK vs. Riverstone 39RKFB

Looking at both of these models for 6-7 months Florida living. Airstream owners now but not big enough for this extended length of time. Going to sell the AS and buy a smaller camper for the summer season. Like both of the mentioned units but when it comes to the Fiver world,we're lost. Any help,advise good or bad,gripes about either,we'd like to hear.
The units look very similar but I'm sure there must be good and bad to both of these.
Safe Travels
Mooseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:45 AM   #2

They both share many similarities....RV appliances are all the same....purchased by the makers to be installed in their RV's....so no real difference there. I believe the walls are thicker on the Riverstone...hopefully that equals better insulation and livability in hot or cold. I think the biggest (issue) is the Riverstone is made by "Forest River"....Years ago when I was an active RV tech working with a dealership....anything Forest River was the majority of our repair work....by far.
Has anything changed in that regards...? I sure hope so. Best keep looking in to it the way you are doing on different forums. They all have their issues... and at this level (price point) it can be very disappointing owning a beast that needs constant repair.

Good luck
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

The one benefit I can see the Riverstone has over the Redwood is the sidewall construction. The Riverstone has 3.5” sidewalls (similar to DRV) while the Redwood has 2” sidewall construction. These walls will have a higher insulation rating (R rating). This is beneficial in extreme heat or cold. There is a downside to the 3.5” sidewalls - weight. The Riverstone (like DRV) is probably heavier than the Redwood so you might need more tow vehicle.

If you choose the Redwood I would ensure it has 3 roof air conditioning units. My 2018 GK only had two roof air units and it has a difficult time keeping cool here in Colorado when it gets above 90 degrees outside. The Riverstone with it’s better sidewall insulation will likely be easier to cool.
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:20 AM   #4

If your interested I'm going to put my 2014 Redwood 38RE up for sale as we have not used it in 3 years. Full Body Paint, Dishwasher, fully loaded and has slide out covers on all three. We now have a cabin and do not need the Fifth any longer. Also have a M-2 Four door freightliner that we used for pulling it. $37,500 for the trailer, $25,000 for the truck or $52,500 for both. Absolutely nothing wrong with either of them, They are both stored indoors all the time. Jim 574-596-2850 Goshen Indiana.
inb2winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:03 AM   #5

We have been on the road in our 4001Lk since 10/31/20. We have traveled through Ohio, N/S Carolinas, TN, AL, GA, MS, TX, AZ and now UT. Experienced all kinds of Weather and temps. I feel most cold air comes from the slide outs. Particularly the floor of the slide outs.

All points previously mentioned in regards to appliances and such are valid. Have not experienced heat.
Jerry smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #6

Just my opinion but our 2016 39mb was pure junk. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Do your homework and I would for sure look at slightly used. Hopefully someone else has repaired the broken s#%t already
Chief AFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #7

Have come across a 2021 used unit. Purchased and wife found out FT wasn't here gig. 4001 LK which we like. Has DW, solar package,generator and W/D. Not much it doesn't have but still used. Any ideas on a good number to purchase?
Mooseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:43 PM   #8

We have an early (Mar 2015 built date) '16 36MB with 50K miles and near full time living and have had minimal issues, most taken care of by ourselves.
As for the RiverStone, it's a wide body RV at 100", but I have yet to hear much good about Forest River products. Like every other MFR there are good ones and no so good ones.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #9

No clue on a value
Old 02-15-2021, 01:05 AM   #10

If you're asking me, it's not for sale. I was just commenting that not all 39MB were a pile of ..... like you always want to tell anyone who will listen.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 02-15-2021, 03:00 AM   #11

I don't care what manufacturer, price, model, year, there are NO perfect RVs, never have been never will be. Go to any rv forum & you'll find dissatisfied owners for every make brand & model on the market. Most go onto a forum to find solutions to issues while others come on to vent/complain, either way if you look at the bottom of the page on every forum there a disclaimer stating there's no one from the manufacturer monitoring these forums so generally the complaints are falling on deaf ears unless you're looking for honest help from others that have BTDT.
If you're not physically able or mechanically inclined to work on about anything that may come up while enjoying the rv experience, DO NOT buy a rv of any shape, size or price. Or be willing to drive the repair shop daily & watch it sit til it's turn comes up to be repaired.
There are too many satisfied RW owners that I know personally that are perfectly happy with theirs to declare that all are junk.
If you've gotten rid of the junk RW why still come on this particular forum, go share your expertise on the forum of the better brand you've traded up to. Taking every opportunity on this forum to constantly declare your particular RW was junk is not helping anyone. Regardless of how many times you state it the manufacturer has still not seen your comments!
Sorry fellow RWers for the rant, but enough is enough!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Well said Danny. I couldn’t have put it better. I think it was Dave years ago who said “ if you don’t own a toolbox and know which end of a screwdriver to use, don’t buy an RV unless you’ve got a lot of money or time to be away from it.
And I’ve talked to him many times over the years. Their Entegra is a great coach and they love it, but there’s always something to fix.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:48 AM   #13

I think Dave was the one that compared hauling a rv down our wonderful highway system as enduring an 8.0 earthquake every time, so things are/should be expected to shake loose. So if not able/willing to put it back together after each earthquake either park it or don't buy it.
We no longer have our RW, or any rv, but still try to keep up with helping others on here & in the rv resort we now reside keep theirs up in shape as best I can.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #14

Thanks guys, I wanted to say more, but just bit my fingers to keep from getting in trouble. Sort of wish the Mods would block some who add nothing constructive to this forum.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #15

Just trying to forewarn potential buyers to make them aware of future problems. And yes I can fix things. I have maintained my helicopter and other aircraft which by the way are a little more complicated than a 5th wheel for many years. We went from the pos redwood to a Berkshire 43A motorhome with no issues. My point being is something as simple as a 5th wheel build shouldn't be that hard. It's the junk materials and 0 quality control that is the issue. They shove them out the door and give them a stupid MSRP so dealers can mark them down making customers they are getting a great deal. I pity the unknowing buyer that fall for this and end up paying big bucks only to loose 50% in value in no time. Someday when I have a few hours I could list my problems I had with a unit that was only 2 years old when I got it and only had delivery miles on it. Like I have said before pos.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #16

WOW..

You literally just described EVERY FIFTH WHEEL or even travel trailer out there..... NO matter the price point...

It is truly nice to have folks around that moved on to MOHO's or other RV's as USUALLY they spread knowledge.. not this S _ _ T

Name 1 fifth wheel manufacturer that does not have the chance to produce a unit that is NOT up to spec but it still gets shipped..... cannot.

I have a friend that full times in their DRV Elite suites, fully loaded..... They were miserable for the first year or so until they got all the kinks worked out, while my buddy on the West Coast that has his Elite Suites has had hardly ZERO issues... same model year ! !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief AFD View Post
Just trying to forewarn potential buyers to make them aware of future problems. And yes I can fix things. I have maintained my helicopter and other aircraft which by the way are a little more complicated than a 5th wheel for many years. We went from the pos redwood to a Berkshire 43A motorhome with no issues. My point being is something as simple as a 5th wheel build shouldn't be that hard. It's the junk materials and 0 quality control that is the issue. They shove them out the door and give them a stupid MSRP so dealers can mark them down making customers they are getting a great deal. I pity the unknowing buyer that fall for this and end up paying big bucks only to loose 50% in value in no time. Someday when I have a few hours I could list my problems I had with a unit that was only 2 years old when I got it and only had delivery miles on it. Like I have said before pos.
Glad to hear thus far & hopefully will continue to have "no issues"!
At approximately 4 times the price of a RW I would hope there would be less issues, but wouldn't bet the farm on it! Not to mention any chassis issues will be extremely expensive.
So good luck to you & your new rv!
I'm sure Forest River forums will be glad to have you aboard...........at least til you have a problem.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #18

Howdy, my 2 cents. I have owned both a 2010 DRV and now a 2017 redwood. The diff is the redwood has a residential 22 cu ft frig, full body paint ( in my opinion a must ). 8000 axles, gen and solar prep, laminated walls. The DRV has hung walls with wool insulation ( much better ) but had 7000 axles, decals ( they fade regardless of waxing ) rv frig ( nice if boondocking ) but not for cooling. had a water manifold ( that is nice ). The DRV CCC was less than this Redwood at 4400 lbs. When both were independent I believe they had much better quality. I hurt the DRV and called the factory ( out of warranty ) and he laughed stating they had no time for anything other than warranty work ( 2019 ). If you have not looked at the few that are still independent I would. I agree with the others that they are thrown together - out the door. I fixed the DRV and the Redwood often. If I could afford it I would find a 2017 Augusta. If you like DRV look at Whiskey Mt. or Rolling retreat rv dealers. The redwood will be about half price. BOTTOM LINE = BUY THE ONE THE WIFE LIKES chug
chugsonja@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I don't care what manufacturer, price, model, year, there are NO perfect RVs, never have been never will be. Go to any rv forum & you'll find dissatisfied owners for every make brand & model on the market. Most go onto a forum to find solutions to issues while others come on to vent/complain, either way if you look at the bottom of the page on every forum there a disclaimer stating there's no one from the manufacturer monitoring these forums so generally the complaints are falling on deaf ears unless you're looking for honest help from others that have BTDT.
If you're not physically able or mechanically inclined to work on about anything that may come up while enjoying the rv experience, DO NOT buy a rv of any shape, size or price. Or be willing to drive the repair shop daily & watch it sit til it's turn comes up to be repaired.
There are too many satisfied RW owners that I know personally that are perfectly happy with theirs to declare that all are junk.
If you've gotten rid of the junk RW why still come on this particular forum, go share your expertise on the forum of the better brand you've traded up to. Taking every opportunity on this forum to constantly declare your particular RW was junk is not helping anyone. Regardless of how many times you state it the manufacturer has still not seen your comments!
Sorry fellow RWers for the rant, but enough is enough!
Well said my friend.
As for my 2015 RW 38GK in all the years I've had it I've only had a few small minor problems with it. Recently I was looking at newer 5th wheels and even DP's seeing if there was anything out there I would be interested in. Nothing really interested me, so I'm sticking with my 38GK for a while longer.
I enjoy going to many different RV forums, to include DP's, and as you stated "ALL" the forums had some people complaining about their RV's. Non are perfect, regardless of price. With so many of them being build of course there will be some lemons. One can just hope there is a good service department close by if you have the misfortune of getting a lemon.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:46 AM   #20

We've looked at a number of higher end 5th wheels at the RV shows, and we always come back to Redwood. We've had a few problems with ours, as all owners have, but with the 2 year warranty, most of those problems got repaired within that time period. I think the closest comparison to the RW would be the Beacon, by Villano. Although plush, I don't think their floor plans are as efficient and the bigger problem is that they're generally much heavier. I agree with others that Forrest River's have some of the poorest reputations, and that speaks volumes.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote