Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2024, 09:00 PM   #1

Roof AC Removal Ques.

I have a soft spot on the roof next to my rear AC unit. So I need to remove the AC unit and it's support bracket to get to the under roof and do the repair. Question: Do I have to remove the interior ceiling panel(s) to get to a support bracket underneath the ac to release it? Or can I simply unbolt the AC unit from the roof and work from the top down. If I need to remove the interior ceiling panels I'm looking for any tips or tricks. It looks like all the interior crown molding will need to be removed 1st for the ceiling panels to be removed?
Old 05-28-2024, 01:05 AM   #2

no need to remove any part of the inside trim. remove the top plastic cap on the AC and remove the sheet metal air plenum top . once you peal back the sheetmetal top you will find the electrical connections. Then you can remove the lag bolts from the Sheetmetal base. The AC unit is around 200 lbs and you will want help just moving it around on the roof. Make sure you have a sheet of plywood to put it on if you leave up on the rood the edges are sharp metal. Roof repair isn't a one man job and will require time ,dry work space, help and lifting equipment to get the AC to ground level. a friend of mine just had his entire roof replaced and rot fixed due to a pin hole in the TPO. That cost 10,000 finished. I would suggest a spray on roof shop do the work rather than TPO again.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:38 AM   #3

Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. I've had the AC apart down to the plenum. Didn't realize the unit was that heavy. Might have to re think this. Any one aware of a good roof repair place in the North East. Most of the RV dealerships are questionable on maintenance. I'd even consider hauling it out to Indiana...
Old 05-28-2024, 12:06 PM   #4

Check rv roof.com
Andover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 01:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. I've had the AC apart down to the plenum. Didn't realize the unit was that heavy. Might have to re think this. Any one aware of a good roof repair place in the North East. Most of the RV dealerships are questionable on maintenance. I'd even consider hauling it out to Indiana...
Where in the North East are you located ? For RV repairs a guy I know is moving his shop and should be relocating to Bow NH. Joe has done many entire roof replacement's with rot repair.

I would do a flex armor roof on our trailer when it needs one.
https://rvroof.com/find-a-location/
Old 05-29-2024, 02:12 AM   #6

Thanks, I'm in the Southern Catskills (Neversink). NH isn't far for me. I like NH, no sales tax :-) Fortunately this isn't a rush job the soft spot is only about 6" but I know I need to get it taken care of. The camper is 10 yrs old and we love it. I have it all tricked out for dry camping. We often hit the 1000 islands, Cape Cod, and ME.