Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Okay so here's the low down. Went to the Hershey show on Wednesday September 12, 2012 and looked at so many RV's that my head was spinning. Ispoke with Andy & Hilton with Redwood and Camping World was their selling partner. I dealt with a super nice guy named Allen Hill (Buzz). There were no high pressure sales involved and Allen was on top of the RW product line. We really liked the look of the 38 BR because RW can make the bonus room into an office, as I'm not retired but can work from anywhere in the US as long as I have internet and telephone service. We went backto the show onSaturday and sat down with Andy and Allen and asked a few more questions before we did the paperwork on the sale. We opted for installing a large rear window in the back of the unit so I would not feel like I was in a little box while working all day in the bonus room, as it was a solid back cap on the BR,alsohaving RW build a desk with two locking file drawers in the deskand cupboards above the desk on two sides of the room. I also needed more lighting in the bonus room so I asked them to put in four more in the ceiling so there will be six total. I needed more outlets in office so added two extra along the floor and telephone jacks into the office just in case.We opted for just the convection oven as we never use the range in ours now. also the extra awning, washer and dryer, central vac, 12 cf ref with ice maker, full body paint, duel pane windows, heat pumps, fantastic fans, satilite tv readyand all the rest of the options except for generator although its preped for one. So here's my questions... Am I missing anything important??? Do you guys wish you would have included anything when it was being built?? Do I really need to install telephone lines in trailer? how many campgrounds have you seen that offer telephone service? I would really like any and all input! Camping World called yesterday and said they were sending the paperwork to Redwood and the next time I heard from them (CW) would be for delivery. I'm not sure due to lack of information from camping world what will happen next?? can anyone shed light on what's next in this process? as I sure would like to know. I have not even said what color I wanted the to paint the unit.

Chris & Laurie
Amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Well... They offer a dishwasher drawer if you are into that kind of stuff. I thought it was unnecessary, but DW convinced me it was an absolute necessity. The only other option that comes to mind isG-Rated Tires. Kinda expensive but well worth the money considering what you have riding on top of them...
balorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

I personally wouldn't take delivery of any Redwood product without the upgraded tires. View any of the many RV forums and you'll find folks having tire problems with the Marathons on units a lot lighter than RWs. You might really want to rethink the Genny issue, if you plan to work in the rig, there might be times you need to supply your own power. We've only seen very few CGs with phone hook-ups. We gave up on a land line several years ago and just use our cell phones and an air card (USB modem or hot spot) for internet access when none is avail at the CG or if they have it, but want you to pay.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, the wife said she really doesn't need a dishwasher which is awesome, and the 2013 BR comes with ST235/85R16G stock
Old 09-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #5

Do you move around a lot? If so you might want to consider the Disk Brake option...

Keith

KWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Chris,

A large rear window in the BR is a great idea. Have them put the RL rear cap on it!

I ordered my RL with the disk brakes - which is an expensive option but these Redwoods are heavy. Same goes for the G rated tires.

Ialso ordered the generator. Hardly used it until we went dry camping at the beach a couple times and it saved the day. Even though I was careful, the batteries dropped down quickly. Glad I factory ordered because even with the "Gen Prep,"paying the shipping and installing a 278lb. generator, plumbing the LP, connecting the transfer switch and fabricating an exhaust system after deliverysounded like an expensive after-thought.

Speaking of batteries, don't forget to have dealer install the second battery because it only comes delivered with one.

My wife didn't care about the dishwasher either, but we ordered it for eventual full-timing. Now she uses it every time we're out and can't say enough about the convenience.

Don't let CW keep you out of the loop - continue to ask questions and get answers. They can't put the order in without specifying paint scheme.

The next step is that you will get a VIN# about 2 weeks after they submit the order (although some forum members and their dealers reported difficultygetting theirs). Also, make sure you get written confirmation from Redwood regarding yourcustom add-ons because this confirmation sheet travels down the production line with your unit.You can't change things or add/delete after your unitpasses that area of the line (ie. you can't add outlets or additional lights after the interior panels are placed).

Good luck with your order and keep Andy's email and phone number handy...Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Recommend you make sure your satellite prep is correct. If you want multiple TVs to work on different channels at the same time, you need to ensure your coach is wired for that option. I thought satellite prep meant that and I was wrong and our dealer had to run additional wires to ensure our winegard direct tv satellite was installed to allow 4 TVs to work at the same time on different channels (I had a hook up installed in our basement. we have a 3FL)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

I would also go with the trailair hitch'

Lillyputz
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #9

Amishco,

We got the 38 BR with the office, dishwasher, etc. Went away for a month and loved it!
Can send you photo of my office and pdf drawings from RW if you like.

Here is the PhotoBucket Link to the Office Photo
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/...psb856c2c2.jpg

Edited by: BradPAjax
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

Thanks for the picture of your office, looks great! I kept the side window in office as well and they were going to put the RL rear on it so I have a full window in the back, hopefully it won't heat the office up to much. I went with the trail air option as well. Satellite ready, and also am considering having disc brakes included. We are parked in a annual site right now with plans to hit the road full time within 3-4 years. I am wondering about getting a extended warranty because of the fact it will be sitting until we hit the road full time any suggestions??? right now I have a cornerstone extended policy on my 2010 29' Sunset limited and haven't used it at all. I'm hoping I will get some of this money back as the policy runs until 2017. I tried to call CW yesterday to have them fax me over a copy of the build that they sent to RW but could not get through to the right person. I am hoping to hear from Hilton from RW by text today but they are doing a show in Elkhart for Thor so I'm sure he is busy. Please keep the suggestions coming, as I want to print a copy of all your ideas and go over them with designer from Redwood when he/she calls. this forum has been a great help Thanks to you all!

Chris & Laurie
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

If you plan to move often then I too would opt for the disc brakes and G rated tires. I have the standard 16" spoke wheels with the Marathon tires and have about 10,000 miles on them.
Although I've had no problems with the tires, I've had two wheels crack at the spokes. I am heading back to the factory to address some warranty work and figure out a solution to my wheel issues. As I mentioned to Redwood, I'm not overweight and travel mostly on the interstates so I consider my usage normal for a full timer.
BTW... Congrats on your new rig! What will you be towing it with?

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

I didn't read carefully but we got the second awning & love it! We didn't know until too late that we could have had wind sensors for the two awnings & wish we had them but very expensive to install after.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #13

As for the heat and the large rear window. We have an RL and recently while at the Vermont Samboree had a shade (like those you see on the front window of MHs) made to snap on the rear window. You don't have to use it all the time, but if that back window faces the sun the shade does a good job of stopping a lot of the heat yet still allows you to see out.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #14

Towing it with, hmmm thats a great question that I am still pondering with. Right now I have a 2006 F150 and know that my local Ford dealer will give me a great trade in due to low miles and the shape that I keep it in. I have a deal with Grumbines RV in Harrisburg who is the dealer that the rig will be delivered to from factory, that they will deliver and set it up on our site at Spring Gulch campground. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but not wanting another truck payment right now seemed like the way to go. I have been looking at F-350 or 450's desiel's but Andy from Redwood said I would have no problem pulling with the 350. please suggest your thoughts on trucks asI am new to the 5th wheel towing as I have a 31' TT now.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #15

Personally, because of the size and weight of a BR rig, I would not go less an a 1 ton dually. brand is up to personal choice as any of the Big three will work. Redwoods aren't as heavy as Mobile Suites and such, but they're not light weights either. The pin weight on most models will overload a 250/2500 and even most of the SRW 350/3500s. But thats just our feelings as we do a lot of traveling and plan to do even more. I've done the "White Knuckle" thing with a small TT and 1/2 ton TV, no more.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #16

We're awaiting delivery of our 36rl and traded in our 3/4 ton GMC and got a 1 ton diesel 4x4 GMCdually. We didn't want to take any chances with being underpowered or even worse, having less braking than would be needed, or difficulty with handling. Tires, brakes, suspension, etc. have to be able to manage the load for safety's sake. Also, from what we've read on this forum (thank God for this forum !!! so many good people and tons of great info!!!!) and elsewhere, going with too small a TV can result in problems if god forbid you have an accident. Insurance companies evidently seize on any excuse to not pay and having too small a TV seems to be one of their favorites for denying claims.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #17

'12 GMC Dually Diesel 4x4 tows anything, any weight, anytime . Love the exhaust brake, Allison trans and tow/haul mode.Also orderedthe Trail Air Tri-Glide which smoothes everything out.I have to keep looking in themirrors to make surethe Redwood is still attached. Even with the 4x4, the Reese Elite 18K hitch adjusts just low enough to level out therig.

Also suggest getting the bolt-in 60gal Titan fuel tank. I hate taking an exit to fuel up traveling with the 5th Wheel. You never know what you're getting yourself into...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishco

Towing it with, hmmm thats a great question that I am still pondering with. Right now I have a 2006 F150 and know that my local Ford dealer will give me a great trade in due to low miles and the shape that I keep it in. I have a deal with Grumbines RV in Harrisburg who is the dealer that the rig will be delivered to from factory, that they will deliver and set it up on our site at Spring Gulch campground. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but not wanting another truck payment right now seemed like the way to go. I have been looking at F-350 or 450's desiel's but Andy from Redwood said I would have no problem pulling with the 350. please suggest your thoughts on trucks asI am new to the 5th wheel towing as I have a 31' TT now.

If your looking at a Ford may I suggest looking at the F450, the F350 will do but its nice to have that extra capacity and the 450 has 19 inch tires, abiggerrear end and much more. I tow with a Ram 3500 and with the rig loaded up we are right at the max and may have to look at a 4500

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #19

I think I've read on other forums that the F450 actually has slightly less towing capacity than an F350 due to the 450 being a much heavier truck, haven't checked the numbers myself. I also think that for some strange reason the Dodge 3500 towing capacity is much less than either Ford or Chevy, don't know why.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Amishco

When you make your deal for 2 batteries be sure to request 27 or 29 series matching batteries you will be glad you did...They gave me 2 type 24's Interstate...
they said that they don't carry anything else ...All they have to do is call their battery guy and and pay a very few dollars more and they can get what you want....They can do that the day the order is placed and charge the batteries fully and then install them when your unit arrives...I would also find out if they will install a hardwired surge protector at the factory
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote