Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2024, 04:35 PM   #1

Furnace and ac questions

We have a 2018 WB , we lived in full time for 3 years and now 1/2 the year. On our last trip I noticed some bad smell as in propane I believe that makes inside smell bad when heater is running. Has anyone else had any trouble with the heat exchanger having holes and letting burnt fumes enter coach ? It’s just not that old to already have holes.

Next A/C - I noticed also right at end of hot season out middle ac has a bearing going out. Have y’all ever replaced any bearing on the fan ? Is it serviceable ?

Just trying to figure all this out before our next trip, I shattered my foot and can’t get on roof or get access for 3-4 months , so trying to get parts here before hand. Thanks for any help
denham045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:51 AM   #2

the blower motors in the AC units are replaceable for sure. If anything in the compressor is making noise, I would run it know it's going to fail soon. As for your heat do you think the smell is a propane leak or is it combustion air coming out of the ducts? A crack in the heat exchanger tube would be rare but not impossible. I had to replace the tank connector flex lines and the passenger side medium pressure regulator on our camper due to leaks in the hose and leak at the regulator diaphragm.

My rear AC heat pump blower every spring has a loud blower bearing for 3 seasons, hundreds of hours of use and hasn't failed yet. We can keep the coach comfortable in direct sunlight on days with it 90* outside on one AC so I haven't been to be concerned with the loud blower bearing.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:13 PM   #3

I just replaced my furnace core on my 2015 36FB. Had similar smells in mine. Thought maybe low on propane but was smelly every use but could be combustion smell. Then it quit. I found motor actually failed. Pulled whole furnace out and checked. Definitely had a bad motor. Could see where end of heat exchanger was apparently over heating. Didn’t see any pin wholes or cracks. Burner seemed ok. Put in new core and reinstalled furnace and hooked everything back up. Ran for several minutes to burnt off oils and other stuff. Can say as of now no more quote propane smell or any of previous smells. Just fresh me heat New one works great. Got mine off Amazon.

Regarding ac my motor on front unit made lots of noise then one day shot craps. Again ordered off Amazon. Change out motor and added soft start while up there. Back unit is noisy and has been for the last year. Just waiting for it to go out. I do have spare motor for it.

Hope this helps. By the way my furnace is suburban SF42Q. Replacement core on mine is 2609 Rp35
Germans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germans View Post
I just replaced my furnace core on my 2015 36FB. Had similar smells in mine. Thought maybe low on propane but was smelly every use but could be combustion smell. Then it quit. I found motor actually failed. Pulled whole furnace out and checked. Definitely had a bad motor. Could see where end of heat exchanger was apparently over heating. Didn’t see any pin wholes or cracks. Burner seemed ok. Put in new core and reinstalled furnace and hooked everything back up. Ran for several minutes to burnt off oils and other stuff. Can say as of now no more quote propane smell or any of previous smells. Just fresh me heat New one works great. Got mine off Amazon.

Regarding ac my motor on front unit made lots of noise then one day shot craps. Again ordered off Amazon. Change out motor and added soft start while up there. Back unit is noisy and has been for the last year. Just waiting for it to go out. I do have spare motor for it.

Hope this helps. By the way my furnace is suburban SF42Q. Replacement core on mine is 2609 Rp35

Thanks for the info , I have no idea what unit is in mine yet, as soon as I can walk somewhat normal I’m going to pull it out and see if I can order new one , hopefully can climb ladder and get on roof to see what parts I need to make that thing quite again.
denham045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:42 PM   #5

blower motor and the fans wheels attached to the shaft. Depending on how rusty the shaft is you may not be able to get the fan wheel off the shaft without damage. typically, the squirrel cage wheel doesn't come off. The flat fan wheel on the outside typically comes off with a light tap and pushing on the center outward.