Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Entry door seam

The metal frame on the right side of the entry door moves 1/16 of an inch when opening and closing the door. It shows a line of no paint. I'm concerned it will only get worse. Haven't taken delivery in the 38gk. The dealer is playing stupid. Is this a structural flaw for the model or is it just one bad door?
Huittdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

DO NOT ACCEPT THIS! It will likely get worse. Our door (and many others have said the same) has never worked properly. It binds and is difficult to shut.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huittdvm View Post
The metal frame on the right side of the entry door moves 1/16 of an inch when opening and closing the door. It shows a line of no paint. I'm concerned it will only get worse. Haven't taken delivery in the 38gk. The dealer is playing stupid. Is this a structural flaw for the model or is it just one bad door?
Redwood replaced mine once already and the new door we have had 4 months is starting to do the same thing. My first door I had to slam to shut, this one still works fine but I'm afraid it is just a matter of time before it will not close properly. The doors come unpainted so once replaced they have a painter come out and paint them. From what I can see they are not laminated properly. The friction hinge is what I can see causing it. They are made to tight. The whole hinge flexes on the door frame when opening and closing. This is a design issue redwood needs to fix. I have heard of at least 10 other doors with this same problem.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

I agree with the "slamming" thing. Ours will close if we slam it shut. I have often wondered which came first? The slamming or the broken door? We have always had to slam ours. Definitely needs to be designed better. Our screen door catches too, in one of the corners, the paint is gone there.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Our door has been replaced as well. We had to either slam it shut or pull on the handle so hard I thought it would brake off. The stricker plate was cutting into the door and we were loosing paint on the door and the rain guard. New door is doing the same thing but not as bad. While the friction hinge is a good idea, I think it needs a bit more research, and get the door opening beefed up a bunch before working the way it should.
[SIGPIC]
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I lost my index fingernail when I caught it in the door slamming it. I would prefer a regular door with the rubber wind stop on the trailer. The hinges and door laminating needs up grading. There is to much flex with the tight hinge in the middle
Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

Don't even sign the papers or you will fight to get it fixed, that's why they are playing stupid they want you to sign on the dotted line .... Say no way ...
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Well, the reality is that with MOST dealerships, if you tell them "fix it and then I sign" it will get fixed in hours. If you wait until you are a "previous customer" then it can take weeks... Just be careful.

Often, you are a priority as long as you haven't taken delivery. After that, it's often "get in line, we're busy."

Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

This is from Piper Guy, who is driving: has anyone tried pouring CRC down the hinge? (Seems like a simple idea which has probably been tried unsuccessfully.)
Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

I have tried CRC we 40 to no avail
Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #11

I'm on door #2 and am beginning to have the same problem as door #1. We had to take the strike plate out of both doors in order to close them with out slamming, and after I worked for a while to get it open. I thought my wife and dog would have to come out through one of my emergency exits. Also, if I shine a bright light at a low angle on the hinge side, I can see the light. Hoping it comes back this time without these problems.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #12

Has anyone contacted the factory about this? Is there a way to contact the factory? Should this be a no go on the deal? Thanks everyone.
Huittdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #13

If you haven't signed the paperwork, I would not take delivery until it is repaired to your satisfaction. You will have the dealer fighting Crossroads for you as he wants his money from you.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott & Vicky View Post
If you haven't signed the paperwork, I would not take delivery until it is repaired to your satisfaction. You will have the dealer fighting Crossroads for you as he wants his money from you.

In most dealerships, Once they get your money........the emergency to fix is over. The following week they'll forget who you are.

If they insist that they'll take care of the door later.......simply ask them for a $1000 deposit. When they fix the door......you'll give them back their money. Problem solved
Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #15

Now that we have the ability to get parts to us couldn't you change that hinge for the older style. I don't have that problem & for about $3 I got an almond colored door stop (actually 2 in a package) to stick on the side so door doesn't bang.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #16

Ours is close 3/16 now and getting worse. I sent a video to RW CS and they approved replacing the hinges. This should be done at the rally. I am hoping they will decide to replace the door. And hoping they have fixed their issue with making the doors by now.

Need to bond the frame to the painted panel to make it one solid piece. In my opinion.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 AM   #17

When my wife saw me slamming the door shut she told me to simply pull on the handle first when closing then release it (handle) when the door is shut ..... works like a charm & eliminates having to slam it.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #18

I occasionally rub some wax on the strike plate and the door opens and closes smoothly.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #19

Sinder, I've been using that wax method for years on all the patches on my rvs & all the doors at the S&B when we had one, works great.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #20

How about "all the latches" not patches, damn auto correct!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined