Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Since the GVWR on my 36RE exceeds 15,000 lbs you have to have a Noncommercial Class A driver license in the state of CA to be legal in CA. Yesterday I went to the DMV in Rocklin, CA to apply for the license/permit. Since I already had an existing CA license for class C, which is your basic auto license, as well as a class M1 motorcycle license, I had to take the written test for class C, the written test for motorcycle and the written test for noncommercial class A trailers. Why all three are required I don't understand as my current license is still valid and I have been driving motorcycles and cars since 1975. After successfully passing all three written tests, plus the vision test, supplying my DL 546 Health Questionnaire and paying the $31, it took another hour for the DMV to figure out what permit they needed to issue me. There were 4 different people at the DMV trying to figure out what permit I needed. They told me that they hardly ever issue these? I told them they must be kidding as their are tens of thousands of people in CA with 5th wheel's with GVWR ratings over 15,000 lbs. First they wanted to give me a 5th wheel RV trailer endorsement on my class C license, but I pointed out to them that per their DMV book that is only good for 5th wheel trailers with GVWR below 15,000 lbs. Well I finally got my permit, but I am still not sure it is the correct one as it states I can pull my 5th wheel when accompanied by an adult with a valid CA class A license. Well, I am scheduled to take the pre-trip inspection test, the skills test and driving test next week in West Sacramento, yes you have to go to a specialized DMV location that does commercial CDL testing in order to get the license for my 5th wheel. Has anyone taken these tests in CA? How difficult are they? I was told the hardest test is the pre-trip inspection test as you have to memorize (ID an explain) all the features and equipment on the vehicle/trailer and you can't use a check sheet. I thought that is what check sheets are for, stupid me! I was also told that if you arrive at the test site without someone who already has a vaild Class A license they can ticket you and impound the 5th wheel. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

You may find the answer here:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

This is the California DMV - RV & Trailers Handbook:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

Edited by: TravelinAnderson
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #3

I don't want to stir up trouble and I know nothing about CA DMV/DOT rules and regs. But do you know the actual pin weight of your RE?? Any chance that it will put you over on your TV Gross Cap or the Rear Axle loading? Would hate for you to show up for that special road test and have everything impounded for being over weight. Especially since it seems most of these units are leaving the Factory 1000 to 1500 Lbs heavier than spec'd and that's without Propane or any of you personal stuff. I think I would double check all the numbers before showing up. Just a thought
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Dan

Here in BC Canada theyimplementeda "house trailer"endorsementrequirement for trailers and fifth wheels that are over 10400 lbs. You need to pass a written exam 35 questions then take a road test which requires a 50 point pre trip inspection and when your done you will need to parallel park you rig. I also heard that they are looking at cracking down on therequirementsfor those driving motor homes. the time are changing

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
I don't want to stir up trouble and I know nothing about CA DMV/DOT rules and regs. But do you know the actual pin weight of your RE?? Any chance that it will put you over on your TV Gross Cap or the Rear Axle loading? Would hate for you to show up for that special road test and have everything impounded for being over weight. Especially since it seems most of these units are leaving the Factory 1000 to 1500 Lbs heavier than spec'd and that's without Propane or any of you personal stuff. I think I would double check all the numbers before showing up. Just a thought
I was told, by a loco truck driver,that california HP has been pulling over RV's and weighing them. if over weight, bad situation and fine. the state needs the monies.

Lillyputz
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

I don't understand why they are making you take tests that are required for commercial licenses when you said it is a non commercial license you are applying for. The pre trip test is required for class a commercial DL's nation wide it's a federal regulation. Leave it to CA to make a mess of things as usual, next thing you know the rest of the states will follow suit for revenue just as CA seems to be doing.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Team

I've been tempted to give up my commercial license since I rarely use it but maybe I should keep it after all. I'm license to drive anything.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

It's probably coming, the day when we all need a special license to pull our trailers our drive our motor homes.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

All,

Here is what we need to adhere to in Ontario Canada...
I’m pleased to notify all
dealer members about the Ministry of Transportation’s new Ontario
Regulation
</span>340/94 </span>that is expected to be formally approved and will
become effective in July 2011.</span>
Ontario Regulation 340/94
</span>
refers to the purchase and towing of
large RVs in excess of 4600kgs or 10,143lbs and now changes to include
the combined vehicle weight of 11,000kgs or 24,244lbs REGARDLESS of
the individual tow vehicle or
towed vehicle weight providing the 11,000kg weight is not
exceeded.</span>
What this means is that towed
vehicle weight in most cases can be in the range of 6,500kgs or 14,325lbs
and can be operated with a G
license, again as long as combined vehicle weight does not exceed 11,000kgs
or 24,244lbs.</span>What this means for me is I keep my regular Class G license rather than having to upgrade to a Class A Restricted (Trucker) license.</span>My F350 dry weight is approx 6795 lbs and the 38 BR dry weight is 14, 720 lbs for a total of 21, 515 lbs leaving 2729 lbs for fuel, water, propane, pot, pans, and BEER!</span>I plan to weight the whole shebang at the local scale on a day when they are closed just to be sure.
</span>
</span>

BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote