Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

Batteries losing water

We are on our 3rd set of batteries and haven't had our RW for a year yet. Somehow the water keeps draining or boiling out of them. Has anyone had this type of problem with your batteries? The original inverter has already been replaced.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #2

Some one else just had that issue here - can't remember who. The batteries boiled off before he got home. Something to do with wiring on his inverter I believe.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Think it might be the converter rather than the inverter. The inverters are designed to shut off when the batteries get too low. A defective converter however could be charging all the time, thus over charging the batteries and boiling them....just a thought.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

ya I was wondering that too. My progressive dynamics converter has a selectable charge sequence, from manual to automatic. Do you have a manual for yours and have you checked it? It may be set to high charge continuous.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

Thanks, everyone.
I called Magnum Energies and they narrowed it down to the converter that comes in all RW's. The Magnum Energies remote display was showing 13.7V. I turned off the circuit breaker for the converter. We had all lights and fans on for a DC load and the voltage reading dropped to 13V and we went to float mode.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #6

Batteries boiling

Terry, I also have a 2015 GK. I recently had this problem after it had sat on the dealers lot for 7 1/2 weeks waiting on warranty work. The batteries were totally dead with only 3 volts in them when I went to pick it up. Someone had left some lights on and run them down. They plugged it in to shore power to charge them up. I waited for 3 hours hoping to bring them back to life. Finally had to leave so while plugged in I connected my truck and trusted the next hour + drive home would charged it. When I got home and disconnected I plugged in. When inside the RW and when I came back out it was boiling and the batteries were extremely hot. So I took it back the next morning early and parked at their gate and refused to move until they fixed. They replaced the batteries with new ones and the tech said they were wired improperly. But did not explain what he meant. There was also a safety switch on one battery that is suppose to stop the charging system from over charging the batteries. They replaced that claiming it was faulty also. To tell you the truth, I don't understand this system myself. I have read the manual. Not sure I know much more than I did. I know that when I towed it the next week my residential ref. was not working on 12v while being towed. I did figure out to how to turn the magnum on so the 12 v system works while in tow. I am interested in what you find out.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote