Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

B&W Companion hitch - yes or no ?

My current truck, 2005 3500 Silverado 6.6 diesel drw with 410 rearend was set up th pull horse trailer so is the Companion hitch a good option for 5th wheel towing ( gvwr of 5er of maybe 15,000 or less). They look good and not a bad price for a 20k unit of around $850 locally. So again thoughts from anyone else who might be using them. Thanks folks ! 😊
firedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #2

Same as I have installed in my 2015 GMC 3500 Diesel/Dually. I am very satisfied with it, other than it is heavy to remove and re-install. Never had any issue disconnecting or hitching up the RW. Disclaimer....have not had any other 5er or hitch, so cannot compare. I did opt for this B&W Companion with the good reviews on this site plus having the ability to have a clear truck bed when removed.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I think they are a good unit but the other day I had a salesman tell me he would not use one and that he thought it would void most manufacturer warranties. To be honest I don't think he knew what hitch I was talking about. I think he was picturing some type of kingpin or gooseneck connection vers the normal hookup
firedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #4

I have also been using the same hitch since 2014 and love it. Not one problem and seems to hitch much easier then some. It is HEAVY but I never take it out of our truck as we don't use the bed for anything but wing.

Steve
Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #5

B&W companion hitch

I have for years used the air hitch from air hitch technology. While I still feel the Air hitch is the ultimate tow hitch with the smoothest ride. I was forced to change when I purchased the RW due to bed rail clearance and the way it all connected. Plus with the new truck a 2016 Ram Longhorn 4x4. The new underbed hitch part would not accept my curt X-5 adapter which allow the setup with my air hitch. So I made the switch to a B&W companion. Not because I felt it was the best but it was the most bang for the buck. I would have gone to the Anderson hitch but no one had one in stock. I cannot be any happier than I am with the B&W. Extremely easy to set up and removal is not bad. (easier than the air hitch). I highly recommend it. Very solid connection.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:49 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedreamer View Post
My current truck, 2005 3500 Silverado 6.6 diesel drw with 410 rearend was set up th pull horse trailer so is the Companion hitch a good option for 5th wheel towing ( gvwr of 5er of maybe 15,000 or less). They look good and not a bad price for a 20k unit of around $850 locally. So again thoughts from anyone else who might be using them. Thanks folks ! 😊
Please put your info of your truck and trailer in your avatar under user CP so we can better answer your questions
Thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedreamer View Post
Thanks for the info. I think they are a good unit but the other day I had a salesman tell me he would not use one and that he thought it would void most manufacturer warranties. To be honest I don't think he knew what hitch I was talking about. I think he was picturing some type of kingpin or gooseneck connection vers the normal hookup
He was probably talking about the Anderson Hitch. Of a salesman lips are moving. You probably know the rest
Old 08-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #8

Hitch

I have learned to listen to very little the salesmen are saying. LOL! they are sort of like our current political situations. LOL! If you know what I mean.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
I have learned to listen to very little the salesmen are saying. LOL! they are sort of like our current political situations. LOL! If you know what I mean.
100% agree on the B&W, best one of all I've had.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:31 AM   #10

I have been pulling with the companion hitch for nearly 3years. No issues whatsoever, easy to hook and it is positively quiet.
slideone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideone View Post
I have been pulling with the companion hitch for nearly 3years. No issues whatsoever, easy to hook and it is positively quiet.

Great part no issues very solid hitch made in kansas too

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #12
Site Team

I have a 20k B&W Companion for the Ford Factory mounts for sale if anyone knows someone who needs it. Asking $500
I'm in Baltimore