Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #1

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum as we just upgraded from our Open Range TT to a 36FL last week. Just had a few things I could use your insight on as we are headed down to Florida this weekend for our first trip in the Redwood.

1. I don't have a 50 amp hook up here at home, but would like to charge my battery and cool down the fridge before we head out. I bought an adapter for 50 amp plug to plug into 110 outlet. I know I cant turn on AC, etc but anyone know of any problems with plugging up to 110 just to run fridge and TV?

2. Our 36FL has a Maxx fan in the kitchen but didn't have one in the bathroom. Before picking up we asked our dealer to install one. When doing our PDI we realized they had installed a Fantastic fan in the bathroom instead. The wife is concerned as she likes everything to look uniform and likes the speed at which the maxx fan opens and closes. The Fantastic fan seems slower, but our dealer informs us it is a better fan since it has 14 speeds and the lid has a lifetime warranty. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. Some friends of ours have a TT and got some water in the coach when towing through a slide room that I guess was not perfectly flush to the trailer. Anyone have any recommendations for making sure the slide room is sealed to prevent road water from coming in?

4. Read the recommendations for cleaning the roof, but what specific product do you wash you roof with?

Sorry for the long post, but being new to Redwood and 5th wheels in general I thought I could benefit from everyone's insight and experiences.

Thanks so much,

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #2

I keep a mine plugged in all the time, all I have is 120V as well. I use my surge protector and make sure the ground and polarity are good before plugging up my big plug. Your frig will work on propane as well when no power is hooked up.

I have never had a problem with slide getting water in, even washing it. The dealer will adjust it on inspections and adjust to keep the slides tight.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

X2. Keep mine plugged in all year.

Fantastik fans are great. I have 3 in imy Montana. I wouldn't ask him to replace it. You can get dual pane black vent lids for it too.

Should not leak when towing.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Congratulations on purchasing an FL, excellent choice.

We installed a solar panel which charges the batteries and a 1500W invertor. We can operate all 110V appliances except the microwave and A/C. Provided the solar panel isn't covered we don't need to plug in when not in use.

Fantastic Fan - don't have any experience with them as we have a Maxx Fan in the Kitchen & Bathroom. However, if you specified Maxx Fan in your work request, the dealer should install same. If they believe an alternative is better they should advise accordingly and let you make the decision. Might not be worth changing, but I would certainly be having the discussion with the dealer on your expectations regarding any future work requests you provide.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum as we just upgraded from our Open Range TT to a 36FL last week. Just had a few things I could use your insight on as we are headed down to Florida this weekend for our first trip in the Redwood.

1. I don't have a 50 amp hook up here at home, but would like to charge my battery and cool down the fridge before we head out. I bought an adapter for 50 amp plug to plug into 110 outlet. I know I cant turn on AC, etc but anyone know of any problems with plugging up to 110 just to run fridge and TV?

2. Our 36FL has a Maxx fan in the kitchen but didn't have one in the bathroom. Before picking up we asked our dealer to install one. When doing our PDI we realized they had installed a Fantastic fan in the bathroom instead. The wife is concerned as she likes everything to look uniform and likes the speed at which the maxx fan opens and closes. The Fantastic fan seems slower, but our dealer informs us it is a better fan since it has 14 speeds and the lid has a lifetime warranty. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. Some friends of ours have a TT and got some water in the coach when towing through a slide room that I guess was not perfectly flush to the trailer. Anyone have any recommendations for making sure the slide room is sealed to prevent road water from coming in?

4. Read the recommendations for cleaning the roof, but what specific product do you wash you roof with?

Sorry for the long post, but being new to Redwood and 5th wheels in general I thought I could benefit from everyone's insight and experiences.Â*

Thanks so much,

Neal
Neal - I am new at this also... what is the difference between a Maxx Fan and a Fantastic Fan?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

I read many of the reviews over on rv.net and a number of comments suggested that the Fantastic fan was too loud. FWIW, we have the Maxxair.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
I read many of the reviews over on rv.net and a number of comments suggested that the Fantastic fan was too loud. FWIW, we have the Maxxair.

X2
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Had Fantastic Fan in the Montana and Maxxair in the RW. Both types are fairly loud when on the higher speeds, slow them both down and not so loud. The major difference that I know of, the Fantastic when in the auto mode gave you a variable setting, where the Maxxair is preset to 78 degrees. I've read good reports on both.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

1. no problem with just using 110 for the fridg and tv, we do it all the time. Maxxair is a good product we have 2 one in kitchen and one in bathroom, we installed vent covers, works great. We have traveled over 30K miles in our 36FL and no leaks on the slides. Your roof is to be cleaned with a non abrasive soap (spic & span or something similar) and a medium bristle brush (use the same brush that you would use on the sides of the coach). You should have received a brochure on the roof and care and maintenance. Understand you are coming to FL, we live in saint augustine. our email is coljdm60@gmail.com drop us a note if you get close to our area.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #10

Thanks for the great info. Headed to Miramar Beach Friday! Hope the weather is warm and I know the drinks will be cold! Thanks again.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Welcome to the family amd we have 3 max airs and ll are great
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote