Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
I sure will! I might even have the ice maker running by then (got to get that pink stuff out of there) if you decide to camp!
I'm not sure where we'll be spending the night on the first night out. According to map quest it's a little over 700 miles to Denver from Vegas and I'm not sure we'll make it that far on the first day of the return home. I'm not familiar with that road between Vegas and Denver but under normal conditions we try to travel 600-650 miles although we have done a few 800+ mile days. A lot is determined by the weather because if we start hitting storms we'll push home with some long legs.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
I sure will! I might even have the ice maker running by then (got to get that pink stuff out of there) if you decide to camp!
I'm not sure where we'll be spending the night on the first night out.Â* According to map quest it's a little over 700 miles to Denver from Vegas and I'm not sure we'll make it that far on the first day of the return home.Â* I'm not familiar with that road between Vegas and Denver but under normal conditions we try to travel 600-650 miles although we have done a few 800+ mile days. A lot is determined by the weather because if we start hitting storms we'll push home with some long legs.
You'll be able to slow the pace once you retire, I'm just getting use to it and it's been a year.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #23

Agree with Buddy... unless you have to be at your destination, what's your hurry when you are retired? We try to go about 200 miles a day at 55 or 60 mph, then spend two or three nights. Having pushed ourselves all of our life, it's nice to slow down and enjoy the road. It's much easier on our stress levels and our Redwood. Safe travels. Vic
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #24

Ah how quickly those that retire forget what it's like for those of us that are not. It ain't just babyboomer pulling Redwoods, even though Redwood may like to think that

Dave, I've stayed at a campground of I-70 a bit west of 15, but can't remember the name. Just a park and plug in, never unhooked.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #25

Same for us, the days of 1,000 miles or more in a day are long gone, don't have to maximise those vacation days any more. We have settled on about 250 miles, with 300 being the maximum. Stops every 2 hours and set speed about 55 mph. By 1400 to 1500 we want to be off the road, cold beer in hand and working on getting a tan.

Stress - vaguely rememberwhat it was and what's left is fading fast.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Ah how quickly those that retire forget what it's like for those of us that are not. It ain't just babyboomer pulling Redwoods, even though Redwood may like to think that

Dave, I've stayed at a campground of I-70 a bit west of 15, but can't remember the name. Just a park and plug in, never unhooked.
Thanks I'll keep my eyes open for it, if you find the name please PM me. I wish we had time to take some of these trips slower but this is my mobile office while on the road. We'll take some time to have fun for a few days and then head into the wind. I'll have 3 days to cover about 1850 miles and then I have to be at the bank for a closing the next day after we get back so we can't be late.

We're about 5 years from retirement but with the health situation what it is, we are going to start slowing down this fall. For now it's going to be "balls to the wall" for a few more months while we get things in line for me to possibly go through the cancer treatments. I have noticed my energy levels dropping so I can't drive like I used to. I'm looking forward to joining others on here with a slower pace.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #27

Dave,

I had no idea, so sorry to hear. I will PM you the name if Dory can remember it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:

Thanks I'll keep my eyes open for it, if you find the name please PM me.Â* I wish we had time to take some of these trips slower but this is my mobile office while on the road.Â* We'll take some time to have fun for a few days and then head into the wind.Â* I'll have 3 days to cover about 1850 miles and then I have to be at the bank for a closing the next day after we get back so we can't be late.

We're about 5 years from retirement but with the health situation what it is, we are going to start slowing down this fall.Â* For now it's going to be "balls to the wall" for a few more months while we get things in line for me to possibly go through the cancer treatments.Â* I have noticed my energy levels dropping so I can't drive like I used to.Â* I'm looking forward to joining others on here with a slower pace.
Dave, I pray for your complete healing and many great years of camping with family and friends.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
Site Team

Thanks Buddy...This is only going to be a bump in the road. Life is a journey and we'll take the bad as well as the good.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #30

Dave,
I don't know what your situation is with the big C, and maybe this isn't exactly the right place for this, but I want to give you a little of my history. We started full timing in 2002 and things were good. In the fall of 2008 I was diagnose with colorectal cancer. We spend the summer in SD and were just getting things lined up to head out for the winter. This put a kabosh to that so we winterized the camper, moved into the extra bedroom at our daughter & son-in-laws and started the process. I went through a series of radiation treatments, (that we found out later scarred my ureter which means I have to have a stent replaced between my kidney and bladder every 6 months)and than had surgery which entailed removing and closing up the bottom end and getting a permanent colostomy. I than had a series of chemo that kind of knocked me for a loop. I got neuroptha in my feet and hands from the one drug they used. They said it would most likely go away. (it didn't) After this was all said and done it took me some time to get back up. I think it was May when we moved back into the RV. The tests showed pretty good and a clear PET scan cleared me to hit the road the fall of 2009. Scans and test showed good until spring of 2012 when it reared it's head in a couple more places. Same cancer, just different locations. Another round of chemo and things were good in the fall to head out again. This spring it let me know that it is still around. A couple spots in the brain and shoulder. Had a mapping MRI Mon. and am waiting for the radiologist to get the map laid out and things lined up to give it a blast. After that chemo to do the shoulder thing. After the initial round, the chemo hasn't bothered me too much.I have a power port that they use when I go in, and than I usually carry a portable pump for a couple days because of the time frame needed to get one of the drugs in. Like I told the Oncologist, as long as we can keep swatting the flies, life is good. Except for the winter that we had to stay off the rode, we have been doing what we want. Might have to do a little rescheduling to get the medical in with our plans but it all works out. Life is good and we plan on continuing with what we're doing. Go with the flow and keep a positive attitude. No definite plans but we would like to make In. in Aug. Would like to me you. (please no sympathy)
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #31

Davao and Roger,

No pity, I admire both of you for your courage and attitude, my prayers are with both of you.

Chuck
Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #32

Havingin had Cancer and a 2nd occurrance, I am right there with you. Most of us don't want sympathy. Just treat me like anyone else. I find it to be a bump in the road as well. People at work call me "strong" and some call me "stubborn", but I feel like I am just a normal person that goes to a special Dr. for special meds. Nothing else is different. Keeping a positvie attitude is one of the most imporatant things for me. I never think too much about the fact that I have Cancer. I sometimes have to actually say to myself.."You have cancer" and then it still doesn't take away from what I want or where I go. I have a very wonderful Husband that makes sure I do all the things I must do, but he also allows me to be me and doesn't treat me as if I am sick. Cause I am not! Prayer is the only thing that I cherish and anyone who would like to pray for those of us with a seriuos disease, please do. I believe in the power of prayer. I will add both of you to my prayer list.

I can't wait to start my RV retirement. Have to work 18 more months so that I can get Medicare. Worst part of Cancer is how much it cost to treat! If it wasn't for insurance, I would retire tomorrow. I am going to really be wishing for that 18 months to go fast once my GK arrives. YEAH!!!!!
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1117
Havingin had Cancer and a 2nd occurrance, I am right there with you.Â* Most of us don't want sympathy.Â* Just treat me like anyone else.Â* I find it to be a bump in the road as well.Â* People at work call me "strong" and some call me "stubborn", but I feel like I am just a normal person that goes to a special Dr. for special meds.Â* Nothing else is different.Â* Keeping a positvie attitude is one of the most imporatant things for me.Â* I never think too much about the fact that I have Cancer.Â* I sometimes have to actually say to myself.."You have cancer" and then it still doesn't take away from what I want or where I go.Â* I have a very wonderful Husband that makes sure I do all the things I must do, but he also allows me to be me and doesn't treat me as if I am sick.Â* Cause I am not!Â* Prayer is the only thing that I cherish and anyone who would like to pray for those of us with a seriuos disease, please do.Â* I believe in the power of prayer.Â* I will add both of you to my prayer list.

I can't wait to start my RV retirement.Â* Have to work 18 more months so that I can get Medicare.Â* Worst part of Cancer is how much it cost to treat!Â* If it wasn't for insurance, I would retire tomorrow.Â* I am going to really be wishing for that 18 months to go fast once my GK arrives. Â* YEAH!!!!!
I'll be praying for your complete healing also. Happy Camping.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
Dave,
I don't know what your situation is with the big C, and maybe this isn't exactly the right place for this, but I want to give you a little of my history. We started full timing in 2002 and things were good. In the fall of 2008 I was diagnose with colorectal cancer. We spend the summer in SD and were just getting things lined up to head out for the winter. This put a kabosh to that so we winterized the camper, moved into the extra bedroom at our daughter & son-in-laws and started the process. I went through a series of radiation treatments, (that we found out later scarred my ureter which means I have to have a stent replaced between my kidney and bladder every 6 months)and than had surgery which entailed removing and closing up the bottom end and getting a permanent colostomy. I than had a series of chemo that kind of knocked me for a loop. I got neuroptha in my feet and hands from the one drug they used. They said it would most likely go away. (it didn't) After this was all said and done it took me some time to get back up. I think it was May when we moved back into the RV. The tests showed pretty good and a clear PET scan cleared me to hit the road the fall of 2009. Scans and test showed good until spring of 2012 when it reared it's head in a couple more places. Same cancer, just different locations. Another round of chemo and things were good in the fall to head out again. This spring it let me know that it is still around. A couple spots in the brain and shoulder. Had a mapping MRI Mon. and am waiting for the radiologist to get the map laid out and things lined up to give it a blast. After that chemo to do the shoulder thing. After the initial round, the chemo hasn't bothered me too much.I have a power port that they use when I go in, and than I usually carry a portable pump for a couple days because of the time frame needed to get one of the drugs in. Like I told the Oncologist, as long as we can keep swatting the flies, life is good. Except for the winter that we had to stay off the rode, we have been doing what we want. Might have to do a little rescheduling to get the medical in with our plans but it all works out. Life is good and we plan on continuing with what we're doing. Go with the flow and keep a positive attitude. No definite plans but we would like to make In. in Aug. Would like to me you. (please no sympathy)

Thanks for sharing because you remind me how lucky I am. My cancer is only minor at this point. I've always been the caregiver in our family and as my sons put it the "rock". My energy level has always allowed me to out work about anybody but I've noticed the extra energy slowly draining down. About 3 years ago they found that I had low testosterone and last fall after more test they found that I have prostate cancer but it doesn't really show up with the PSA numbers. The last test shows it getting worse. Only being 55 we're worried about the long term effects of radiation so the doctors are looking at all options at this point. I'm fortunate to have the support of a very close knit family and great employees. In life I've discovered many bumps and turns and each one of these has taught me something about myself. I guess my education isn't over. I am very fortunate and life is good.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #35
Dan

Dave

One thing I canhonestlysay about you is the fact you have a veryoptimisticout look for every thing. I bet if you came home and found your house on fire you would not get upset you would just say now i can get those things fixed that i never had time to do. I could take a page from your book. I do hope that we can catch up with one another some day and have a glass orthirdlyof Jack

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Dave

One thing I canhonestlysay about you is the fact you have a veryoptimisticout look for every thing. I bet if you came home and found your house on fire you would not get upset you would just say now i can get those things fixed that i never had time to do. I could take a page from your book. I do hope that we can catch up with one another some day and have a glass orthirdlyof Jack

Dan
I appreciate those kind words but I'm just a wisky drinking RV type of guy, like most on here

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1117
Havingin had Cancer and a 2nd occurrance, I am right there with you. Most of us don't want sympathy. Just treat me like anyone else. I find it to be a bump in the road as well. People at work call me "strong" and some call me "stubborn", but I feel like I am just a normal person that goes to a special Dr. for special meds. Nothing else is different. Keeping a positvie attitude is one of the most imporatant things for me. I never think too much about the fact that I have Cancer. I sometimes have to actually say to myself.."You have cancer" and then it still doesn't take away from what I want or where I go. I have a very wonderful Husband that makes sure I do all the things I must do, but he also allows me to be me and doesn't treat me as if I am sick. Cause I am not! Prayer is the only thing that I cherish and anyone who would like to pray for those of us with a seriuos disease, please do. I believe in the power of prayer. I will add both of you to my prayer list.

I can't wait to start my RV retirement. Have to work 18 more months so that I can get Medicare. Worst part of Cancer is how much it cost to treat! If it wasn't for insurance, I would retire tomorrow. I am going to really be wishing for that 18 months to go fast once my GK arrives. YEAH!!!!!
Good for you Sharon.....my kind of girl
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #38

Thanks! I appreciate those kind words. I just live with a very positive attitude. The one thing that cancer has taught me is to live your life to the fullest. You never know what tomorrow may bring. It might be cancer that takes my life, but it could be anything. I try to make the most out of every day. I often think about all the plans I make and sometimes wonder if I will be around long enough to enjoy them, but I never stop planning. Like I said, it could be anything and not the cancer that might be our demise. So, live each and every day to the fullest.

It sounds like your are doing that too!

Sharon

Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
Site Team

Dave, I can't remember the issue, but it was only a couple months ago. The nurse that writes a lot of Helath tips for Escapees had a very thorough, well done article on Prostate Cancer and the newest options and where best to go. Article was so good that I've kept it as a "just in case". I'm on the road for the next 2 weeks doing a couple of Fire Trucks, but if you can't find it, call me and I'll dig it up when I get home.

Tracy and I are really looking forward to being next to you and Ginny (and I'll bring extra Crown and Maker's Markand the fixin's for Cosmos for the Girls. Tracy swears nobody makes them like I do).

And Sharon, if you look at our signature ~ that's how I look at life. Sounds like our outlooks are very similiar. All my best and my prayers.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #40

piperguy - thanks for the prayers and "yes!" I agree totally with your quote.