Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

F-250 tow vehicle

Over a year ago I requested input on tow vehicles and received lots of advice from Dually owners. The few single axle owners responded off line because they didn't want to buck the tide. I went with the F-250 and after the first 10,000 miles I am completely satisified and glad I didn't spend the extra money for the dually. I have also observed that 80% or more of fifth wheels on the road are being towed by 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.
jsfarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Team

You've only got one post to your name and it's this one........ so it's a little hard to believe.

Nobody should feel bullied on this forum however if you don't want other opinions....don't ask for them. Many of todays high quality trucks will pull a 5th wheel larger than what they were designed for. Some of that is due to competition in the truck manufactures (i wish there was more of this in the RV industry). But to pull a trailer within the safety standards of the truck manufactures........that's a different story. With that said, a person also has to consider how much they're going to be pulling their trailer. I have a friend that pulls a very large trailer twice a year and each time 30 miles. Yes he has a 3/4 ton and he's only got 60 miles a year to worry about.

Travel at your own risk and have a ball..... but most 5th wheels don't have a pin weight of 4k
Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #3

If your Happy with the F250 then enjoy the ride. Wish you safe travels
Old 10-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #4

I have pulled my 38RL just about 4,000 miles since new with my 2015 1 ton SRW.. Honestly , I would never go any lower , with any fifth wheel.. The price difference between the 250 and the 350's are so small..
Do I need a dually , no... Should I get one , no.. Would it be a better tow experience , I really don't know as the experience is a good one now. The amount of towing I do now in my eyes ( weekend warrior ) does not warrant one... With that said , if and when I go out a lot more than now, it's time for a dually ..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I agree on the single axle. If your weights are to the point you are overloading your rear rims and tires I would then question it . Does a dually handle the trailer better in crosswinds etc definately. If not going on long trips and short time use and are not overloaded no problem. If you get into an accident your fault or the other parties of you were overloaded on your truck you can kiss your insurance good bye. I ll guarantee you that no one that is pulling a trailer wants to have to drive that wide beast around when not hauling. To each their own and safe travels
Old 10-20-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
Site Team

The only comment I will make is this - when I got my 36RL I had a 2012 F350 short bed crew cab. 11, 500 gcwr. Loved that truck.
Then I got the RW weighed and found out I was almost 1000 lbs over what my rear tires were rated for .......

No way I wanted to risk a drive tire blowout Someone in Nebraska got a really nice 8 month old truck. Have the Dually and will never go back. We do tow a lot, more than 18k miles in 3 years and not fulltime yet.

Up to you, but I wouldn't think a 38RL has less pin weight than my 36 and mine is almost 4K on the pin when loaded.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:50 AM   #7

I agree with Dave - no one should feel bullied. But geez, you all do get pretty worked up in your truck conversations. Might actually be easier to talk politics than to discuss trucks.

As for the 80% observation, how many of those 5th wheels were these heavy RW? I'll bet not many.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:04 AM   #8

OK, need to add this disclaimer: This post is not directed at anyone specific, just the info I see on all the RV Forums, be it Redwood, RV Net, Montana Owners, I RV2.
I don't think it's so much passion about our Trucks, it's more about the safety of everyone on the road. Just because you Father's Uncle Fred has pulled a 22K trailer with his half ton for years, doesn't make it right or safe.
Remember the numbers listed in the RW Brochures is empty with next to no options, so once you load these babies up, They are Heavy and even the smallest RW if loaded with a majority of the Goodies really needs a 350/3500 Series SRW minimum (was verified by a member at the Rally, so he now has a 3500 SRW), all the rest are pretty much in Dually and larger territory. Any of the new breed of Diesels will pull just about anything, but there is much more to towing than just pulling something, unless you just doing Truck Pulls.
OK, I'll get off my soap box.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 AM   #9

I'm definitely sold on the Dually. And we've driven our RW with both. Never would I have fallen asleep while Vaughan was pulling with an SRW. Now, I'll doze off which is a testament to the feeling of safety I have now. I'm also willing (deep breath) to learn how to drive while towing with the Dually.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:29 AM   #10
Site Team

Next step will be towing a Jeep or VW behind the RW ........
Old 10-20-2015, 02:43 AM   #11

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Old 10-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Piece of cake!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

Get that new F150 with Max Tow and Eco-Boost and you'll be good to go.
Some of that advertising scares me, they keep uping the ratings so the next thing you'll see will be some newbe pulling a big 5th wheel with one. Because the Truck Salesman will tell them they can pull anything out there, and the RV Salesman will be telling them "No problem" pulling that 42 footer with that truck.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #14

I will testify that you need the right tow vehicle for you trailer. ill admit that I hauled out 39MB on some very short hauls with a 2500 ram diesel extended cab short bed and there was no lack of power from the engine. We didn't even have it loaded with gear and when the side wind hit ya my butt pull up all the seat interior. That trailer will really try and steer that truck. We found a used F450 DW for the right price and what a difference. Maybe over kill but its what its got to be.
Travel safely if you decide to us the F250.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #15

A topic discussed often! Just look at the weight spec's and you'll find the correct answer. My preference of a dually is based on spec's PLUS experience in pulling trailers. To each their own...I would't trade the comfort and safety that I get from towing our RW with our dually!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #16

Well, Dave & Ginny, I was probably listed as a different user last year on the old site. In any case it's nice to know you start your replies by questioning the poster's honesty. I ask for opinions because I was interested and you shouldn't be so defensive when yours is not acted upon.
jsfarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #17

I am one who pulls with srw 1 ton and have noticed times a dually would handle with no issues. But I'm still on the fence with it all. Couple of thousand in difference but when not towing the dually becomes the nuisance more than the remedy especially when it comes to parking the child bearing hips of a truck. Either way has pluses and minuses and I'm sure I will cave in to the dually as we are traveling more and more with this trailer because it just fits us perfectly and 10 times better than the last redwood we had. But for now my truck has treated me right and loves to hook on to the rw.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfarrington View Post
Well, Dave & Ginny, I was probably listed as a different user last year on the old site. In any case it's nice to know you start your replies by questioning the poster's honesty. I ask for opinions because I was interested and you shouldn't be so defensive when yours is not acted upon.
Whoa! Talk about being defensive.

I didn't take it to mean that you were being dishonest, but to be candid, I picked up on the same observation as D&G.

Everyone here is pretty friendly. How about we keep it that way.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #19

Leave it to a woman to disarm a perfectly good rumble ! !

Honestly , I too took it the way as D & G . . nothing personal.. just an opinion... these folks grow on you ! ! !

Do yourself a favor and IF you want a SRW... get the 350 over the 250.. minor $$$$ in the end
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #20

Just kidding... I'm just glad my dw didn't charm in on this topic
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote