Old 08-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Site Team

Winter Beach Time

Ok, need some ideas and recommendations. We're still getting used to this Fulltime thing and looking at options.

Pretty sure we will be in the Hilton Head - Savannah area for most of the winter but Tracy has requested a true "Beach Getaway ". Sooooooo .........

I need suggestions - how far down Florida should I look for a place with a week- 10 days available and warm enough to swim in early January ? We are looking for about the 4th - 13th.
All suggestions are welcome, either Coast is fine as we need to be in Tampa for the RV Show on the 14th.

As usual, thanks in advance. !!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

I would have made my reservations for the Keys months ago, but you can still find sites now, if you get lucky. Man, do I love that place.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #3

We have been in the Gulf in the Tampa area in late December early January, BUT we didn't stay long as it was pretty chilly, then again another year approx same time frame we were over at Daytona and the water bad. Just depends on which way the currents are flowing.
2011 Chevy 3500HD Ext Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Just booked two weeks at Sunshine Key RV Park on big Pine Key. First two weeks of January.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

Vaughn...I just got that pleasantly warm feeling all over imagining being there. You won't be disappointed, unless of course a hurricane comes blowing through. 😁
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Just booked two weeks at Sunshine Key RV Park on big Pine Key. First two weeks of January.
Very nice! I'm jealous
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:02 AM   #7

Now that's a bit farther down then you planned!! I think my new plan is to just follow Vaughan around the country.

Steve

2014 Redwood 36FL and 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW Duramax
Char & Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Ok - Brad, Steve, come with us !! There are some sites left for that time frame. Brad, I know you could make it in two days driving that comfortable coach. And Steve thinks nothing of a 12 hour day, you would just need two of them. Lol

In all seriousness, we hadn't planned on the Keys but the more we thought about it, why not. Looks like we will be in New York till end of October and then in Baltimore area for November and part of December to see family and for the holidays (there is a year round park not far from where we lived). After that, headed to the Keys for two weeks and then up to Tampa for about 10 days. After that, it looks like I may be a fill-in Captain on a Ferry out of Hilton Head, SC for a few months till April. Not sure yet where next summer will be, if we don't come back to New York, then we'll be headed west to Montana and Wyoming.

On another note, just ordered a set of H Sailuns from Ron. Think I now have all the Suspension and hitch mods that we can do !! Will post a picture of the rig when we leave here and head south with Fred the Focus in tow. Everything is setup on it for towing.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Ok - Brad, Steve, come with us !! There are some sites left for that time frame. Brad, I know you could make it in two days driving that comfortable coach. And Steve thinks nothing of a 12 hour day, you would just need two of them. Lol

In all seriousness, we hadn't planned on the Keys but the more we thought about it, why not. Looks like we will be in New York till end of October and then in Baltimore area for November and part of December to see family and for the holidays (there is a year round park not far from where we lived). After that, headed to the Keys for two weeks and then up to Tampa for about 10 days. After that, it looks like I may be a fill-in Captain on a Ferry out of Hilton Head, SC for a few months till April. Not sure yet where next summer will be, if we don't come back to New York, then we'll be headed west to Montana and Wyoming.

On another note, just ordered a set of H Sailuns from Ron. Think I now have all the Suspension and hitch mods that we can do !! Will post a picture of the rig when we leave here and head south with Fred the Focus in tow. Everything is setup on it for towing.
I would love to Vaughan - Key West was an annual trip for Dory and I (fly). However, she just came out of the ICU getting an LVAD heart pump installed to keep her going until a heart becomes available for transplant. She is near the top of the list for transplant now that she is on life support - expecting within the next 9 months. Our travels will consist of 2-4 hours from home, and with winter coming the MH will probably be limited to monthly maintenance runs to keep the batteries charged.

Your trip sounds like a blast! Even the Ferry Captain! Those Sailuns seem like a nice choice! I haven't heard anything negative yet. I did see a recall for tread separation 2 weeks ago, but that was the 22.5 inch tires.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #10

Brad, praying for you both. If you need anything let me know. We are just down the road at Castle Rock.

Ken
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote