Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Thumbs down Meaher State Park in Alabama, ANTS & ALLIGATORS

I don't know how many people travel thru the State of Alabama, but here is some advice for those who may utilize the Alabama State Park System.

Meaher State Park, located in Spanish Fort, AL (near Mobile) is a mis-leading place and should be avoided at all costs. Let me explain.

After doing my usual research, it appeared that this park was a pretty decent place to stay, except the State Website fails to provide information on this Park. Namely, it has a serious ANT problem and this is not told to you until after you make your reservation via Email. Also, the park has an Alligator problem, again that is not told to you until you receive the reservation Email.

Also, no mention is made on the website or told to me by the park representative that reservation deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE. I didn't find out about this until after the reservation was made and I received the Email.

Once I found out that they had an ANTS and ALLIGATORS problem and it was verified by the park representative, I cancelled my reservation and lost my $36.74 deposit.

The last thing anyone wants is ANTS in your RV. The Alligator issue is another matter. And as I said, there is NO MENTION on their website about ANTS and ALLIGATORS.

The Email you receive for your reservation states you should bring some form of ANT spray or ANT Repellent. And that is also the only reference you get about NON-REFUNDABLE Deposits.

Had I known all these problems in advance, I would not have made the reservation!

I would recommend NOT staying at this State Park, unless you want ANTS!

CAMPERS BEWARE!
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

I've never seen a website that would actually advertise they have ants and alligators.

Very sorry about that. OTOH, it's rare to find a place that doesn't at least make a refund but hold a small fee as a reservation expense.

Did you check campgroundreviews.com prior to making the reservation?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #3

After posting this information, I received an Email from the Director of the Alabama Parks. He agreed that the employee made a Mistake and they have initiated a Refund of my initial Deposit.

When I got the reservation Email, it specifically stated they have an ANT and Alligator problem at this park, since it is right on Mobile Bay! They have not had any problems with the gators, but advise not to go swimming or leave pets tied up outside (snack time)!

I just received a call from the new park manager at Meaher State Park. And she said they are working on the ANT problem and that it is worse than most parks in the Alabama Park System.

The Park itself is very nice. Concrete Pads, full hook ups and its very close to the best seafood restaurants in Mobile!

So, all that being said everything has worked out. But, this park is not on my list any longer and I figured I'd pass it on for anyone else considering this park.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

Well after making enough Noise, the Alabama Park in Spanish Fort, AL has finally updated their site to describe the problem with the ANTS.

Personally I think they should close this park until such time the Ant problem is resolved.

See attached site: Camping | Alapark

Check the NOTICE:

Unless you like ANTs in your RV or bring a bunch of Chemicals and Toxins along with you, there are better places to stay in the Mobile Area that are better and less expensive.

BEWARE!