Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Winterize Bypass ?

Hello trying to winterize our 2013 redwood 36rl and have a few questions. We have blown the lines out with Air and drained the HWH (Hot water heater) we started pumping antifreeze through the lines with the bypass to winter position. We now have no antifreeze getting pumped to the hot water sides of any of the faucets. Please help explain how I can run antifreeze to the Hot water sides. Also the ice maker and washer. Thanks in advance.
PawnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Team

There is a valve on one side of the water pump that must be turned to prevent water from being pulled out of fresh water tank. That may be the problem.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

Where would that valve be located on a 36RL?
Goosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

We found the small black valve. That allowed the antifreeze to the cold side of faucets but will allow none to hot water side.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #5

Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosu View Post
Where would that valve be located on a 36RL?
Inside access panel that opens up to access the pex lines. On the floor coming off sureflo pump.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
Site Team

I don't know what is wrong. All I do is what you have done: Drain water heater, switch water heater to bypass, turn valve on pump, and use pump to pump antifreeze through the water systems.

You said you blew air through the system. Any chance you have a low point valve open??
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
I don't know what is wrong. All I do is what you have done: Drain water heater, switch water heater to bypass, turn valve on pump, and use pump to pump antifreeze through the water systems.

You said you blew air through the system. Any chance you have a low point valve open??
Low water drains are on. Just no antifreeze to the hot water sides of facets. But once I turn bypass back it pumps to hot water side.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #8

All I can add is that some RWs are not plumbed properly. Last spring we had to change our Hot Water Heater because it sprung a leak. I thought I could use the By Pass to by pass the heater and still have water in the RW but it was a no go. The way ours was hooked up we were actually getting some hot water mixed with the cold in the Wet Bay.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:20 AM   #9

On our first on 2012 31sl it had a pull out hose with cap on it just stuck it in antifreeze and turned on pump... don't see a pullout hose on our 3901 wb 2019 but looks like a connector to screw in water hose bottom row in convenience bay I guess that would be it? Guess you have to take off cover to get to pump valves..
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

Winterizing 2013 rl

Pawnguy

What was your final results? I have same unit and have determined I need to install a second by pass valve. When using the bypass of the hot water tank, which diverts it to the cold water side, no water enters the hot water side. I'm installing a by-pass valve after the pump between the cold water and hot water lines, using sharkbite fittings. I use the valve when winterizing so both lines fill. I have a washing machine and dishwasher and was concerned about those lines.
The other option is to not use the hot water tank by-pass and fill it up as well which is about another 6 gallons of solution.

Did you have any other solutions?
jvohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #11

My suggestion is to drain the water heater, put the anode back in, and just use air to blow the lines out. I've been doing my RVs like that for a few years now, and it works great for me.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote