Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #821

Harbor Freight works great for me. For what little time it gets used,it does the job. Better than guessing.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #822

I also use the HF wrench, so far so good.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #823

My Snap on wrench was about $50 in 1972. It was checked 3 years ago, for the 1st time. It was right on.

Mark
Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #824

I'll wait to get flamed on this one. There are some things I'd go to HF and purchase, and there are other things I'd only buy from a reputable manufacturer. A torque wrench falls into the latter category. You can almost always find a used Snap-on, or equal on Ebay. Don't forget, this is a calibrated instrument.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I'll wait to get flamed on this one. There are some things I'd go to HF and purchase, and there are other things I'd only buy from a reputable manufacturer. A torque wrench falls into the latter category. You can almost always find a used Snap-on, or equal on Ebay. Don't forget, this is a calibrated instrument.
I'm with Tom.... HF is great for screw drivers.. Throw away LED lights... Ect... Anything that will be relied on is purchased somewhere else... My Torque wrench is craftsman.. ( pre K-Mart )..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #826

I would not trust the HF wrench being accurate even when new. I have a second, inch pounds wrench from Craftsman. It's been used twice in about 8 years. I just couldn't buy HF.

Mark
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #827

I use a lot of HF tools & have for lots of years. If I were making a living using tools, no way would I buy theirs, but I'm not. Also not building rocket ships where tolerances are critical, so if it's off +/- a pound I'm not losing sleep over it. If it breaks I take it back & they hand me a new one, not even Craftsman does that anymore unless you pay the BIG bucks for the "Professional" grade.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I use a lot of HF tools & have for lots of years. If I were making a living using tools, no way would I buy theirs, but I'm not. Also not building rocket ships where tolerances are critical, so if it's off +/- a pound I'm not losing sleep over it. If it breaks I take it back & they hand me a new one, not even Craftsman does that anymore unless you pay the BIG bucks for the "Professional" grade.
Danny...how do you know it's only off +/- a pound? You can easily find wrenches in the $150-175 range on Ebay. IMHO, not too much to spend for such a critical tool. BTW, the ANSI standard allows 4% of reading error between 20% and 100% of wrench capacity so if your HF is giving you only +/- a pound, you're doing pretty darn good.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #829

Looks GREAT Shane and about time you got those shocks on!!!! Sonny finally got the brackets to you?

I also have a good Craftsman torque wrench and no complaints. Works well and I do trust it so far. Had a very nice Snap On one but kind of disappeared when the stepson moved out. He can keep it!

Steve
Old 07-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #830

I meant "what if", whatever it's off I'm not losing sleep over. Unless any wrench, Craftsman, Snap On, whatever, has been calibrated recently they could all be off who knows how much. Unless it's digital you are hoping your eyesight is good enough to set the wrench exactly at the setting you want, which could be +/- either way. Not trying to promote any brand, but a couple of pounds one way or another doesn't bother me, the main thing is to take time to check them periodically even if don't use any brand of torque wrench.
Some one used the car as an example, that tire shop uses the torque wrench or torque limiting extensions 1000s of times a week, but have you asked to see their calibration certificate on any of their equipment or do you check them when you get home.
My 5er has 8 lugs recommended torque to 110 psi, but if those 8 lugs torqued with the POS HF wrench only gets 100 psi & I haven't had any failures (in the last 6 rvs in over 40 years), I think I'll keep doing it with my POS HF wrench.
Again I receive NO compensation from HF or anyone else, just my .02 cents.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 AM   #831

Quote:
I meant "what if", whatever it's off I'm not losing sleep over. Unless any wrench, Craftsman, Snap On, whatever, has been calibrated recently they could all be off who knows how much. Unless it's digital you are hoping your eyesight is good enough to set the wrench exactly at the setting you want, which could be +/- either way. Not trying to promote any brand, but a couple of pounds one way or another doesn't bother me, the main thing is to take time to check them periodically even if don't use any brand of torque wrench.
Some one used the car as an example, that tire shop uses the torque wrench or torque limiting extensions 1000s of times a week, but have you asked to see their calibration certificate on any of their equipment or do you check them when you get home.
My 5er has 8 lugs recommended torque to 110 psi, but if those 8 lugs torqued with the POS HF wrench only gets 100 psi & I haven't had any failures (in the last 6 rvs in over 40 years), I think I'll keep doing it with my POS HF wrench.
Again I receive NO compensation from HF or anyone else, just my .02 cents.
Totally agree!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #832

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Well in the old days before torque wrenches. I would tighten the lug nuts with the tire wrench as tight as I could and never lost a wheel yet
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 AM   #833

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Looks GREAT Shane and about time you got those shocks on!!!! Sonny finally got the brackets to you?

I also have a good Craftsman torque wrench and no complaints. Works well and I do trust it so far. Had a very nice Snap On one but kind of disappeared when the stepson moved out. He can keep it!

Steve
I waited 2 months before the extensions finally arrived so I could do the install and they were the same what came in the boxes. I replaced the outer Springs with bronze and was surprised the plastic was still in good shape. When I installed the centerpointat the inner plastics were totally shot. Will see how the shocks work on the way to the rally. They should help to control the rebound of the air bags coming off bridge joints and dips in the road
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #834

Well, yesterday we installed the Pathway X1 plus a Wally receiver and a Seagate external hard drive. Set them up, called Dish to activate and we had tv with DVR. Can only watch 1 satellite at a time but this will do for a while. Tired of pointing the manual dish.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 AM   #835

I noticed a huge difference on ours after the shock install. Not so much with the truck ride but just watching what the RW was doing on bumps and it looked like it really liked that upgrade.
As I mentioned in another thread, I stood the shocks a bit more vertical then most to get the max out of them. Top frame bracket edge was located 4-5/8" from center point bracket edge.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
I waited 2 months before the extensions finally arrived so I could do the install and they were the same what came in the boxes. I replaced the outer Springs with bronze and was surprised the plastic was still in good shape. When I installed the centerpointat the inner plastics were totally shot. Will see how the shocks work on the way to the rally. They should help to control the rebound of the air bags coming off bridge joints and dips in the road
Old 07-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #836

Hopefully will have it finished by the rally. I have ordered a sheet of Lexan and have my screen door apart on the bench. After seeing many pictures of the Door Buddy system I just didn't like it so I am cutting my own pieces and inserting into the existing grooves on the door. There will be no brackets or hold downs to keep in. Just in the groove and should look much more professional I hope. There will be no option to remove unless you take the door apart again but since we have two doors one will have the screen and one the Lexan. I will make templates and if all goes well I will be able to fabricate for the doors and will offer it to all members for cost + shipping.

Steve
Old 07-06-2016, 05:25 AM   #837

Steve, I've already got smoke Lexan for my door, but in putting it in it needs some sort of channel/whatever at the bottom of the top section & the same on both ends of the bottom section to keep the pieces from sliding down, have you gotten that far if so what did you use if you don't mind sharing.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #838

Trout Travelers our front compartment hinge broke on our 36fl do you have the part # you ordered from TIARRA thank you
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #839

Waiting on my Lexan so can't comment yet. It will most likely be a very thin silicone seal or I have some 1/8"x1/4" black channel which may look the best. Will follow up asap.

Steve

Quote:
Steve, I've already got smoke Lexan for my door, but in putting it in it needs some sort of channel/whatever at the bottom of the top section & the same on both ends of the bottom section to keep the pieces from sliding down, have you gotten that far if so what did you use if you don't mind sharing.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:00 AM   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Waiting on my Lexan so can't comment yet. It will most likely be a very thin silicone seal or I have some 1/8"x1/4" black channel which may look the best. Will follow up asap.

Steve
The bottom section on mine looks like will be ok, but when I tried the top it wanted to bow out & slide down.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined