Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
amron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Voltage Varies Inversely with Microwave Use

We use a voltage monitor in our RW. Whenever we use the microwave, the monitor shows an increase in voltage. Normally we would see a decrease in number showing how much voltage the appliance draws. This only happens with the microwave, other appliances are ok.
Any similar experience? Will this damage our microwave?
We have a 2012 FB.
amron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,822
Best thing to do is stop looking at the monitor Too much information is bad.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,400
I agree with Brad, if you didn't see it, it didn't happen. Also the wiring on rvs are like their tires, suspension, & several other components, just barely enough to meet minimum requirements.
__________________

Danny & Linda
Fulltimers since 2008
2013 Denali 3500 drw 4x4 d/a
2013 RW 36 FB black & tan
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,827
There is an inverse relationship between current and resistance. Ohm's Law...I think.
Either that or your monitor is broken. 😁
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
tangoparson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
The only thing I can think of that might cause a similar symptoms is a “loose neutral “ condition. That can cause some seriously wonky voltage readings, usually one leg goes high and the other leg goes low. Most higher end monitors would catch that though. My progressive will.

Maybe not truly loose but a high resistance


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
tangoparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
amron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Thank you all for responding.

Sounds like nobody else had similar experience. This past weekend, there was a strong smell of burning electrical insulation at 3:00 AM. and we looked all over the RV for any sign of smoke, etc. I noticed the microwave clock was reset to zero which meant there was some interruption sometime during the night, although the coffee maker clock was not reset. Yesterday, after using the microwave, there was a beep then the clock was reset to zero.
amron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Highcountrybarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
The microwave should be plugged into an outlet above or beside the microwave. I would unplug the microwave and test that outlet first. If you don’t have equipment to check it plug in a high draw appliance like a hair dryer and see what results on the volt meter. If you can determine the outlets is not the issue then work on getting a new microwave. To tango’s point, there may be a loose neutral in the outlet. Smelling electrical components producing heat is no joke, most especially in the middle of the night. If you have any doubt have a qualified electrician check it out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
amron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Barry,
With your good guidance, we plugged a hair dryer into the microwave outlet - voltage climbed.
We then plugged the hair dryer into a different circuit outlet - voltage dropped.

Since the microwave has it's own circuit breaker, we should be able to check that wires are tight in the breaker box. If that doesn't solve the issue, we'll tighten the wires at the receptacle. There should be NO connectors between the box and the microwave outlet.

The smell of the burning insulation was strongest at the steps, right beside the breaker box. My guess then is that the issue lies in the box.

Thank you for your good help.
amron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim & Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 442
Not necessarily so. Our 2013 36RL had a power loss to the RV fridge on our way to AZ in 2014. I was able to plug the fridge into an extension cord till we got to AZ to troubleshoot. Our research led us to two splices between the circuit breaker box and the microwave outlet. Our RL has three circuits in the kitchen slide, and while I don't know for sure yours is like ours, I suspect it is.
The 3 circuits are:

1. Fireplace
2. Microwave
3. RV fridge, stove outlet, entertainment center.

The romex from the breaker box mates up with the flexible cord that enters the slide at the street side rear of the coach so it can take the repeated extend/retract of the slide and enters the slide behind the left bottom drawer next to the fireplace, where it splices into romex again to travel up to the microwave outlet. Yours may not be like ours, but it's a place to start. The first splice utilizes what electricians call an Anderson plug, and in our case that's where the problem was. I'll try and attach pics to show. This is located to the rear of the rear of the slide on the street side above the plastic film sheeting. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141101_093401.jpg (106.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20141101_093353.jpg (116.6 KB, 8 views)
__________________


Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Highcountrybarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 16
Looks like you are on track getting it isolated. Of course Jim is spot on, you will need to trace out the entire circuit. Starting at the panel is probably a good idea. Hopefully there is no serious damage. Good luck and let us know what you find!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.